Guide to fun places for parents of special needs kids

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 8:37 pm

Here is an idea. A guide to different places in the US for parents of special needs kids. I got this idea from somebody who wants to review theme parks for certain things. This would be a guide to not only theme parks, but also restaurants, museums, hotels, and other places like that. I would find out what things parents want and don't want and would review these places and rate them based on what parents are looking for. I'd also find out what kind of accommodations that places are willing to provide when asked, that you wouldn't know about otherwise. I want to cover all sorts of special needs, not only autism.

I'd charge for a paper copy, because that costs money however I wouldn't charge over about five bucks. It would be free online but you would have to register to see it, that way I could keep up with how many people use it. Then the next year when I update it with more places I could sell advertising space to places and companies that provide goods and services so I could publish more copies and they would be cheaper or I could give them away and provide them to teachers, therapists, etc. I could also probably talk places into putting coupons in the guides as well.

I'm sure there are places that review stuff like this but I don't think there is any one nonaffiliated guide that would be widely distributed is there? Would you use something like this if it were available? It would also review places for adults as well.

I'll get people to review places in all 50 states so I have something for everywhere, and I'd also like suggestions of particular places you would like to see reviewed. This will take some time to put together, but I can do it if I know what people want.

What are the things you look for when you take your kids places?

What are the things you don't want to see there?

What things could places offer that would make you decide to give them a try?

What kind of information would you like to have about a place before you take your kids to it?

Tell me anything else you would like to see in the guide or that you think I should know.

Thanks!

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2015, 2:22 pm

Seems like a really good idea. Maybe you could make this into a website so it could be regularly updated and then it cold also be an ongoing source of revenue. Sort of a Yelp for special needs families.

I have been thinking about this for a while and didn't know quite how to respond because the things my family needs are so varied. My daughter loves noisy, bright light arcade kinds of place and loves roller coasters, but my son can hates those rides and has a hard time with the same environments. Or maybe that's me who has the hard time with those environments.

We usually try to find the quiet spots in places we go so we have an idea of where the points of refuge are. That way, when the rest of the environment gets too overstimulating we know where to go to get out fast.

I would be interested in knowing ahead of time how loud places are. How hard it is to extricate yourself from an intense situation if it develops (e.g., I don't ever want to be at Disneyland when people are waiting for a parade --it's like rush hour at times square and you have to make your way through miles of it to get out.)
It would be great to know if there were any areas of low noise/low stimulation and how to get to them.

Smells are another thing to keep track of.

I'll keep thinking about it and add more when it comes to me.