Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

sillysally2087
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Mar 2015, 2:20 pm

Since I am on the spectrum (diagnosed with Aspergers) I am quite aware of the traits of ASD and see a lot of them in my son. The school he attends are amazingly supportive, especially the teacher he has at the moment and the deputy head that has been dealing with his case and having regular TAC meetings with myself and his teachers. Recently the school (who very much believe him to also be on the autistic sprectrum) have decided that he would benefit very much from a diagnosis as he can be very anxious at school and they are worried very much about him moving up to junior level this year. Though he is very settled at the moment and is in a primary so won't be moving into a new school they think the added pressure and the change will unsettle him and his behaviour will eteriorate and he won't cope.
We have been told today that his referral has been accepted by CAMHS and he will have an assessment appointment within 4-6 weeks, though the waiting list after that is likely to be much longer.
Although I have been through the process of diagnosis it was in very different circumstances and I don't remember much about it. I'm unsure about what this initial assessment is for and what happens next. I function much better if I know what to expect and can mentally prepare for the situation, but I've been given very little information about the process, so am hoping those of you who have been through it will be able to help me with an idea of what to expect next.
Thanks,
Sarah