My daughter smashed her fist through a window

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

triplemoon18
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Apr 2016, 8:11 am

Well I had posted before about my 15 year old AS daughter who has been really suffering lately with depression and anxiety. Since I took her for a psych assessment and they reduced her meds, 2 days later she begged me for the higher dose of Zoloft because she said the feelings were coming back. She seemed pretty good for the last 3 days and I was starting to have hope.

I tried saying goodnight and she ignored me when I took the internet away, so I gave her her space. Well this morning I find out that when her sister came home after work at 11:15 pm and my fiance and I were in bed, she smashed her fist through a window. They never woke me up because they knew I was exhausted.

She says she was feeling really irriated because she wanted to cut and she was trying to stop herself. She isn't happy about having to wear long sleeves at school all of the time because they want her to hide her scars/scabs from before.

At first my fiance and I were pretty upset about it; we were thinking she would have to pay to have it fixed out of her allowance. But then I realized she wasn't in control of herself and she needs better coping skills, not to lose her allowance.

I just worry this is going to be the new thing, destroying stuff in the house like she did about 2 years ago before the Zoloft. I also worry she is going to really hurt herself or someone else in her rage. She is very easily triggered and impulsive. She said she blacked out when it happened. She is almost 6 feet tall and very strong when she is pissed off, so I really am worried about what will happen next.

I tried to talk to her this morning about going for a walk to cool off, coming to talk to me, punching her pillows etc.

Does anyone have any advice about this sort of thing?

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 9:12 am

I can understand how she feels, as I have been through depressive anger/impulsions and still dealing with self-destructive behavior.

It can be much harder to think rationally, reminding her what she can use instead for redirection is good. But while "in the moment", if she has not had practice trying these while calm, it might have little effect.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 8:53 pm

This is probably a very stupid suggestion, but I wonder if there is something akin to an OT, but who specializes in coping methods for this sort of issue. The reason I say this-- is because cutting and putting her hand through glass (ostensibly outward directed -- but still cutting) makes me sense as others have said on the other thread, that this is a very strong sensory need when she is distressed. I wonder if there is a protocol that involves switching her to something that causes some kind of intense sensation "similar" to that feeling but less dangerous/destructive. The only things I can think of offhand, I fear would be used in a more self-injurious way then intended.(like a back scratcher)

charlottetuggle
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Apr 2016, 7:46 am

I can understand that what she must be feeling at that point of moment.

triplemoon18
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Apr 2016, 8:31 am

Well one of the crisis workers suggested using cold showers and sucking on really sour candies and some other ideas that my daughter was not really wanting to do.