sleep away camp for teens and kids with special needs

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

GeneB
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Mar 2010, 12:17 pm

Check out the story on a camp for kids with special needs in this month's issue of Exceptional Parent. Summit Camp, located in PA. Enrollment is going on now for summer sessions! Summit Camp in PA.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 10:22 am

two of my freinds went there went they were younger

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 12:18 pm

Make sure it actualy is geared twoards AS kids. I went to a special needs camp that was more geared twoards physicaly handicapped kids and those with Down Syndrome or mental retardation. I hated it and have very bad memories from it. It was not worth it.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 12:24 pm

I looked at the prices and couldn't possibly afford it, even if I were to decide it was appropriate. Boy Scout camp is $300 a week - we're sticking to Boy Scout camp. My AS son has been fine there.

anonAS
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Mar 2010, 12:56 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
I looked at the prices and couldn't possibly afford it, even if I were to decide it was appropriate. Boy Scout camp is $300 a week - we're sticking to Boy Scout camp. My AS son has been fine there.

Boy Scouts are great for AS. I am now an AS adult and the structure of scouting was one of the few fond memories I had. Merit badges and the skills they teach are all iterative and mesh very well with a AS mindset and offer a way to gain achievement that isn't tied to AS, and is relatable to non-AS friends. Scout camp is a wonderful place and in my day AS was virtually an unknown term, but strangely I was surrounded by people I connected with. We are drawn to that kind of structure and it is a win-win for everyone.

mytwoguys
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Mar 2010, 5:17 pm

Has anyone heard of Camp Akeela in Vermont?

Celina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2019, 12:05 pm

mytwoguys wrote:
Has anyone heard of Camp Akeela in Vermont?

I've been there! I was there 2015-17, then one year of Beyond Akeela in Wisconsin. I thought it was really fun :D , for the most part..

When were you there?

*happy ferret noises*