Kindergartener School Trouble- any advice please!

Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 6:08 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
I myself was “home schooled” so that’s why I really didn’t want to take this step. I was not taught at home and instead had to learn everything on my own until I got myself into college. I mean literally nothing. I had to pay an acquaintance kid to teach me how to divide so I could pass the GED at 15. But yes, I did pass it and now have several degrees. It was a hard road. I was so lonely and bored all the time. It’ll just be on me to make sure he gets what he needs and can reintegrate into school when he can learn to behave tactically.

Homeschooling has expanded enormously in recent years — it's much more varied and diverse in approach and resources than you may have experienced. There are tons of commercial curricular options out there, groups and associations, opportunities and more. People do everything from religious to completely secular, conservative to liberal, structured to unstructured. It would be possible to create something quite opposite from your experience and still have it be "homeschool" these days.

There Are Four Lights!

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2019, 10:27 am

I have noticed now as an adult that the homeschooled kids I encounter are socially adept and “normal”. Even the kids with something visible going on, such as autism or sensory problems, seem to do better socially-I imagine because they have energy to handle the public since they are not overloaded all day.

It just sucks when you have had a bad experience and then you can’t really obey your base instincts because the experience slanted your view.

I agree that it’s a wrong move to ignore a child’s feelings. I’m giving this lady a couple more visits and then we’re going to regroup with his pediatrician. I don’t think he needs a counselor at all, but I’m trying to do all the recommendations so his doctor has as much information as possible.

During the past couple weeks he has had a few incidences where he seemed out of his mind hyped because he was doing something stimulating for too long. And then he will get obstinate and rude if he is bored for too long. It seems like physically and cognitively moving around works best.