Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 7:06 am

Not fulfilling my potential, whatever that is.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 1:01 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:

My parents, for some reason, used to believe that I was some sort of genius. They greatly overestimated my potential. However, I am 40 years old and they are dead. All the jobs that I got, any old monkey could have done.

Occupationally, came nowhere close to potential.

Academically, got a Bachelors in Cognitive Science and Associate's in Accounting. Do not think that came anywhere close to my potential. Plenty of precious lil "people" that I have interacted with, have advanced degrees, went to brand name schools, and STEM subjects. Plenty of precious lil "people" that I have interacted with, have jobs that pay a lot more than mine (my job pays barely above minimum wage). They earn a living wage, or a solid middle class income. Some of them, do not appear, to me, to have the slightest critical thinking skills. They talk too much and too loud and I do not think that they have that many original thoughts. Especially professional counselors. Whenever they do not understand something, they ask "why?" (which could be a good thing, in some situations), but in Statistics, it is extremely difficult to separate *correlation versus causation*. They just believe (and say) whatever they want. (Everyone has freedom of speech, but not everyone is having sex with the boss.) Plenty of precious lil "people" with advanced degrees, do not, to me, appear that academically smart.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 2:54 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

My parents, for some reason, used to believe that I was some sort of genius. They greatly overestimated my potential. However, I am 40 years old and they are dead. All the jobs that I got, any old monkey could have done.

Occupationally, came nowhere close to potential.

Academically, got a Bachelors in Cognitive Science and Associate's in Accounting. Do not think that came anywhere close to my potential. Plenty of precious lil "people" that I have interacted with, have advanced degrees, went to brand name schools, and STEM subjects. Plenty of precious lil "people" that I have interacted with, have jobs that pay a lot more than mine (my job pays barely above minimum wage). They earn a living wage, or a solid middle class income. Some of them, do not appear, to me, to have the slightest critical thinking skills. They talk too much and too loud and I do not think that they have that many original thoughts. Especially professional counselors. Whenever they do not understand something, they ask "why?" (which could be a good thing, in some situations), but in Statistics, it is extremely difficult to separate *correlation versus causation*. They just believe (and say) whatever they want. (Everyone has freedom of speech, but not everyone is having sex with the boss.) Plenty of precious lil "people" with advanced degrees, do not, to me, appear that academically smart.

A lot of people with advanced degrees have low grades for their degrees, or are the type of people who can do well on a test or coursework, but are not necessarily adept at retaining academic material, nor using their skills from academia in their every day life.

That could explain that.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 5:38 pm

AWE Dorry Caz ,, thats rough with your mum.! :(

Expected the rule of Law to actually function in this Country.....beyond for the conveinence of those running the gov offices :evil:

where ever you go ,there you are

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2023, 4:19 pm

I think they're mostly happy with me, but the fact that I'm atheist probably disappointed them a bit. They believe in religious tolerance and think God cares more if you're a good person rather than if you worship Him, but I think they'd still prefer I was a Christian.

Biggest thing I'm disappointed with about my daughter is that she couldn't breastfeed, but I'm mostly over it now.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2023, 10:17 am

I think I've disappointed my mum a few times in my life. I always talked about my special interests between the ages of 7 and 10. My mum was always yelling at me out of anger for doing so. I thought my mum hated me. I also disappointed my mum at the age of 13 when I was wearing my hair like The Beatles which she hated because she thought that I should look like a bloody girl even though I identified as Male. I disappointed my mum by dressing like The Kinks instead of wearing boring, regular street clothes. I also disappointed my mum by revealing the secret that I kept from her, that I'm Trans and I prefer Germany over Britain. I'm sure that she's disappointed that I still wear something or other that looks like a German helmet.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2023, 11:30 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think I've disappointed my mum a few times in my life. I always talked about my special interests between the ages of 7 and 10. My mum was always yelling at me out of anger for doing so. I thought my mum hated me. I also disappointed my mum at the age of 13 when I was wearing my hair like The Beatles which she hated because she thought that I should look like a bloody girl even though I identified as Male. I disappointed my mum by dressing like The Kinks instead of wearing boring, regular street clothes. I also disappointed my mum by revealing the secret that I kept from her, that I'm Trans and I prefer Germany over Britain. I'm sure that she's disappointed that I still wear something or other that looks like a German helmet.

Pretty amazing to get through all that stuff Cockney Rebel...pretty impessive personality .. you mum is your mum AND you are you ,and that is not a changeable situation,am afraid . Have enjoyed your post very often throughout the years , Your old Avatar pik.. seemed to remind me of a early Movie Charater, from the tv series Stalag 13 .
A Seargeant Shultz... it was pretty entertaining to me . :jester:

where ever you go ,there you are