some help with a kid whit aspergers

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

needinghelp
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Sep 2007, 11:37 am

Hi everybody...!i'm here just looking for help, i am a babysitter, i have just a little bit taking care of my kid, a few weeeks ago, the kid was diagnosticate with aspergers, i am very shocked, because i have none experience with kids with disabilities, and i was thinking he should have somebody with more experience in the area, maybe somebody who can help him more than me, i really love my kid but i want the best for him so please somebody help me to take the right choice!!Thank you

ster
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2007, 11:47 am

you don't need to be an expert to take care of your child....mostly your child needs love and understanding. we've all felt completely overwhelmed once the diagnosis came...seek out help from your pediatrician~ ask about social groups, school etc....you can also check out your school system and ask about a parent advocate who could help you navigate the system. hang in there.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2007, 11:51 am

I agree with the previous post -- your child needs your love and attention more than anything.

Read as MUCH as you can get your hands on. I've learned a lot from support groups, therapists, etc., but to fill in the void of things that they couldn't touch on or explain, books helped round out my education about asperger's. This is such a relatively new diagnosis, most people don't really have a grasp on what it's all about. Therefore, YOU have to become the expert, because your motivation (your child's welfare) is so much higher than any other person's that you will end up knowing more than any given expert.

Kris

JsMom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Sep 2007, 12:15 pm

I'm confused. Are you the parent of this child or the child's babysitter?

BugsMom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Sep 2007, 3:07 pm

needinghelp wrote:
Hi everybody...!i'm here just looking for help, i am a babysitter, i have just a little bit taking care of my kid, a few weeeks ago, the kid was diagnosticate with aspergers, i am very shocked, because i have none experience with kids with disabilities, and i was thinking he should have somebody with more experience in the area, maybe somebody who can help him more than me, i really love my kid but i want the best for him so please somebody help me to take the right choice! !Thank you

If you love watching the child and you have a good relationship with him, there's no reason why you should have to stop babysitting. Read as much as you can about Asperger's, ask the boy's parents to fill you in on what they have learned, and check out this site--it's a very helpful place :). Good luck!