Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

makelifehappen
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 7:40 pm

My daughter has been "identified" within the school board and we are looking forward to a meeting to set up the IEP. That said, she is in grade 4 and while we knew this year was going to be much more intense than the last, we find that she is struggling with the homework. It is alot more, but the content is different and more complex. Now, we are finding it is taken the entire evening to do homework (whereas the letter home said it should be no more than an hour).

The teacher told us that we could write a note when she was having a hard time getting it done due to AS, but I am having a hard time swallowing the amount of time spent, the meltdowns because of, the refusal to get back to it, etc as we have 2 other children, dinner, bathing, etc to fit in as well!! !!

Any thoughts?

makelifehappen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 1:23 pm

Forget I asked. We sent a letter to the teacher asking that in the lead up to the IEP being written if the teacher will accommodate our daughter by giving less homework each evening and spreading it throughout the weekend instead (which she does not normally give homework on weekends).

She called and was completely astounded, as she has only ever had praise about the little amount of homework she normally hands out to the children and took a look at her agenda before calling. As it turns out, my kid was doing the entire weeks worth of homework!! ! and did not realize it! Wonder if it had something to do with the way it was explained to her??! !

but man! my poor family! :)