Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

mseely
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Mar 2008, 5:16 pm

Hey all, I'm new to the wrong planet forums. I have a 7 yr old son diagnosed intially with High Functioning Autism and later with Asperger's Syndrome. He is currently mainstreamed in 1st grade but because of compliance issues and some other stuff we are looking at putting him into a cluster classroom. We have our boy on two different meds, Prozac and Straterra, after a disatrous result with Zoloft. We have employed various strategies and therapies with our son since he was initially diagnosed at age 3. I'm looking forward to learning more from everyone and offering my advice when possible.

greendeltatke
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Mar 2008, 5:19 pm

Hi and welcome!

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 5:28 pm

Hello and welcome. I hope you find WP as informative and supportive as I have. I started posting almost a year ago when 2 of my teen sons were diagnosed with Asperger's. My 7 year old daughter has just been diagnosed, as well.

I think back to when my 3 sons were 7 and how they struggled and wish I had known they had AS. Grade one is hard for most children but moreso children with AS. It is a huge adjustment and there were days when I wasn't sure we were going to make it, but we muddled on through and the boys have made excellent progress.

My thoughts and good wishes are with you.

Lauri

BugsMom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Mar 2008, 7:04 pm

Hi there!

I have a 6 year old son with AS; he was diagnosed almost a year ago. He attends a public school which has an Autism Support classroom--there are 5 kids in that class. My son had a lot of trouble with compliance issues in preschool, so we felt that this was the best option for him. Everything is going very well--he now spends about 40% of the day in the mainstream kindergarten class with his aide.

WrongPlanet is such a supportive place, I'm glad you found us!

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

12 Mar 2008, 8:11 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet!

I have 3 sons - now aged 9, 7 and 4.

Last year my older 2 sons were diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome.

WrongPlanet has been incredible. I was a wreck when I first joined 11 months ago, but with the support and knowledge I have received on WrongPlanet, our family is now great!

I suspect my 4 year old is Aspie too!

I am NT and my husband is an Aspie in denial :lol:

Helen

ster
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 9:09 pm

welcome!
I'm NT, my hubby is Aspie. Together we have 3 children: 16 year old aspie boy, 13 year old NT boy, 9 year old currently dxed ADHD-hyperactive impulseive type~really think she's AS, though.

platypus1000
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Mar 2008, 6:34 am

I don't post too much but am always around...have an 11 year old son diagnosed with asperger's. Have been coming to WP about a year and been so grateful for advice and just knowing that others are going through some of the same struggles and that I'm not alone really helps me. Welcome!!

LCMom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Mar 2008, 11:45 am

Welcome!

I've been dealing with diagnosis and results for a short while. I just love reading the posts on this site...I have learned so much.

Hoping all goes well!

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 12:49 pm

Welcome! I have only been at this forum for a short time, but have been posting on Asperger's related forums since my son was diagnosed 3 years ago. I love the insight we gain from those who have the condition themselves, the "why" for so many things. It has changed my parenting completely, and I can honestly say that I have a happy AS child with a solid and positive self-image.

My AS son is 10, mainstream 5th grade with pull-outs for special services. I also have a 7 year old NT daughter.

I am mostly NT with a few Aspie traits; my husband has more AS traits and assumes that he would receive an AS diagnosis should he ever seek one. We are convinced that my father was AS as well, but undiagnosed, of course, given the generation.

princetizoc
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Mar 2008, 8:46 pm

Hello and welcome to such a great site.