Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Mar 2008, 6:10 am

I have heard this several time here.

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 6:17 am

"Self-stimulation" - hand flapping, twirling, rocking.
IMO also verbal stims such as askng the same question, adding numbers up ect.
Things that are done over and over again, different from individual to individual.
Can be very soothing, but can also be used when bored, when you don't know what to do ect.

denjen473
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Mar 2008, 6:22 am

Thanks! My son does these things, I just didn't know they was an actual name for it.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

21 Mar 2008, 6:31 am

Hello denjen473 and welcome to WrongPlanet.

I have 3 sons - 2 oldest diagnosed with Asperger's.

My boys attend an Autism/Asperger's clinic regularly. I asked the psychologist about stimming. My boys rock, flap, spin etc

The psychologist said it's because often Aspies/Auties find the world unpredictable and this makes them anxious. She said stimming is repetitive and predictable and therefore soothing.

Helen

Shayne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2008, 7:59 am

Smelena wrote:
Hello denjen473 and welcome to WrongPlanet.

The psychologist said it's because often Aspies/Auties find the world unpredictable and this makes them anxious. She said stimming is repetitive and predictable and therefore soothing.

Helen

this is very simple for an explaination. in my opinion, it shouldnt be taken as a complete truth.

it doesnt take a lot into consideration. for example, stimming in predictable situations or sensory issues.

also take note that this is coming from a psycologist, many aspects of aspergers dont fall into their field.

and i do hope that shes not suggsting that NTs see the world as predictable. though i couldnt say that this isnt true, it just seems silly to me to think that people go around thinking that unpredictable things dont happen.

Last edited by Shayne on 21 Mar 2008, 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

criss
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 8:05 am

calming oneself.

Aspies can find the world overwhelming at times, as a result of the hyper-arousal of the nervous system. The list of stims is endless.

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)