Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Mattsmum
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Apr 2008, 9:34 am

Hi, I am meeting the head teacher of my son's school tomorrow (which he will start in September). She is the SENCO and the school is very welcoming to asperger's children. Its a school for aged 4-11. We are having a preliminary meeting to discuss my son's transition and what the school will be able to do for him when he starts. Does anyone have any advice about how to handle the meeting? Should I make any specific requests now or let her set the agenda? Are there any specific qu's I should ask or things I should request? I am sure many of you will have already been through this process so I appreciate any tips.

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 12:10 pm

I don't know how it works in your country, so I can't help much.

But I would ask what experience does the school have with AS kids and how do they usually approach teaching kids with AS.

Some practical advice:
Take pictures of the school to show your son.
Ask for a foto of his teacher, if possible.
And for a plan of what will happen on the first day you can talk to your son about.
My experience is that knowing what is going to happen makes the first day a lot easier for AS kids, so the more preperation, the better.

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 2:22 pm

Hiya Mattsmum, good that you are going to have a meeting with the SENCO; try and make friends with the SENCO, I will pm you with something that may help you! :wink:

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 3:49 pm

I think it's good to approach the first few contacts with respect, that they are the experts on schooling, although you are the expert on your child, and that you are looking to form a positive partnership. I rarely bring stuff for an initial meeting, because I like to get the lay of the land, so to speak, and digest it for a while. I tend to be a little controlling, to like my way of doing things, so approaching the first sets of contact as more student than teacher helps keep that controlling nature in check.

Mattsmum

10 Apr 2008, 4:13 pm

Thanks. Thats a good point about not coming across too controlling. I have a tendancy to fire out too many questions, especially when considering all the worst case scenarios.

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 4:19 pm

Mattsmum, look at your message box, top right corner of your screen. INBOX. I have left you a private message. :wink: