Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

schoolpsycherin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 May 2008, 8:52 am

I know many parents here are very familiar with the special education process and already have children in special education. But for those that are considering starting the process, I thought this website might be beneficial.

What Every Parent Needs To Know About Special Education Referrals
http://www.schoolpsychologistfiles.com/ ... ation.html

jbollard
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 May 2008, 5:04 am

Interesting read. It is however a bit different here in Australia, our kids get help once diagnosed, and depending on that it is then worked out how much sp ed time is allocated.

When my son is taken out for sp ed I always wonder what he is missing out on. If he is taken out why cant it be a subject which is not really important like Religion etc.?

And there other things as well, when my son is taken out, its not 1:1 there are other kids as well. Could they be holding him back?

My husband who is AS (only recently found out 2yrs ago) he is also very deaf, and throughout his whole schooling they always assumed that he was deaf and dumb. They always put him into sp ed classes until they found out that there wasn't anything wrong with his brain and that he was infact quite bright. Its amazing how people jump to conclusions.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 8:28 am

I had to go into special ed classes through junior high school and my freshman and sophomore years in high school just becuase I wasn't that good at math, I resented it greatly because I didn't see anything wrong with me.

schoolpsycherin

14 May 2008, 10:00 am

I've found that it's very rare for any kid to have 1:1 instruction.

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2008, 7:31 pm

Erin! I am a school psych myself and am very impressed with your website and knowledge!! Kuddos to you! :) I will be using your files!

I am on here as a parent, though! I will be attempting to separate my work and my "personal" life as a parent with a child who has Aspergers!

schoolpsycherin

18 May 2008, 8:32 pm

thanks for the feedback Natesmom!