Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 9:33 am

Does anyone with ASD kids live here or know families that live here? I'm researching other places to live and this is one of them. I'll do more searches online but I thought I'd start here first.

1) Experience with schools? Is there a big difference in neighborhoods?

2)Experience with neighbors, community; are people tolerant and accepting of ASD families? Are there social groups or programs for ASD families?

Thanks, I may think of more questions. I'll be doing other types of research too, for grown ups and jobs. My marriage is definitely ending and I don't really want to live here anymore. Husband said that he'd move with me if I found somewhere else to live. (He'd follow us to new place, not live with us) I know he likes this place and there is work for him. I hope he will keep his word (he's reneged on a couple things) on this.

BTW, for the record, my son is autistic, 8 years old. He'll be in 3rd grade this year and is enrolled in special ed but attends regular ed class. He's at and above academics for his grade level, he's behind in speech (receptive and expressive) and socialized behavior. He's very social and really wants friends, he loves video games.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 9:53 am

nope. never been west of wisconsin, nor east of rhode island

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 11:56 am

KimJ wrote:
Does anyone with ASD kids live here or know families that live here? I'm researching other places to live and this is one of them. I'll do more searches online but I thought I'd start here first.

1) Experience with schools? Is there a big difference in neighborhoods?

2)Experience with neighbors, community; are people tolerant and accepting of ASD families? Are there social groups or programs for ASD families?

Thanks, I may think of more questions. I'll be doing other types of research too, for grown ups and jobs. My marriage is definitely ending and I don't really want to live here anymore. Husband said that he'd move with me if I found somewhere else to live. (He'd follow us to new place, not live with us) I know he likes this place and there is work for him. I hope he will keep his word (he's reneged on a couple things) on this.

BTW, for the record, my son is autistic, 8 years old. He'll be in 3rd grade this year and is enrolled in special ed but attends regular ed class. He's at and above academics for his grade level, he's behind in speech (receptive and expressive) and socialized behavior. He's very social and really wants friends, he loves video games.

Wow - envious, wish I could be there. Not sure of services there; do know one of the individuals involved with programs in Payson, and she may be of assistance. Let me know if you desire and I will try to get her in touch with you.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!