Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

does early intervention help (the child, not the parent)?
yes, use whatever means necessary to teach them normal behavior when they're as young as possible 65%  65%  [ 11 ]
no, they need acceptance not aversives 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 17

Janie08
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Sep 2008, 11:27 pm

I think it depends entirely upon the child and his/her needs. In my son's case intensive therapy like ABA just isn't necessary, but for some kids it's all that can teach them to respond to anything. He needs OT (occupational therapy) and speech therapy and is getting both through the local school system along with integrated preschool. Those, along with the GFCF diet and supplements, have really opened him up and caused a huge language explosion. He's 3, so I think this all qualifies as early intervention.

As to the use of aversives, however, they were once a part of ABA therapy, but I don't think they are anymore. At least, no reputable therapist is using them.

laplantain
Toucan
Toucan

09 Sep 2008, 12:35 am

I would answer yes for the first part of the question, but I wouldn't use "any means necessary to teach them normal behavior."

Early Intervention to me helped my son physically with his balance, coordination, stamina, etc. He wasn't moving around much before that.
It also helped him learn to communicate his needs and feelings. They taught him how to ask for help, recognize feelings in himself and eventually in others, and how to play games and take turns. It helps him learn to get along with people in the world.

I didn't seek early intervention so that he would be "normal." I sought it so that he could participate in the world we share.

Aspie94
Raven
Raven

13 Sep 2008, 8:38 am

My son wouldn't be doing so well if not for early interventions. However, at the time he didn't even have a PDD label. He just got help with his trouble spots---not being able to speak frustrated him and made him rage. Once he learned good speech, he never raged again. He had OT and PT and social skills, which pretty much was just a place where the kids interacted as they liked. He's fifteen now and doing really well. If you ask him if he's happy with the way he is, he will say "Yes." If you ask him if he gets sad a lot, he'll say, "Nope, I feel medium." :) We have never tried to change him and he has been told that he doesn't have a "disorder." Ugh...I hate calling a neurological difference a "disorder."

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 10:18 am

My son is high functioning and wasn't diagnosed with anything until age 7. I don't know if any earlier therapy would have benefited him or not.

But, I do take him to an autism school for music therapy. During the day, the school is a full day program and they provide ABA to their students. While I haven't been there during the day, I've heard the teachers discuss strategies for their students and they are very compassionate. They are using that particular child's interest to increase communication. They have one student who eventually learned to talk at age 10 and his first sentence was, "I love my mom." So, they aren't being cruel in their methods. They are trying to help these kids communicate and they aren't trying to rid them of stims, etc.....

SophiasMom
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Sep 2008, 7:19 am

For us early intervention is the answer.

Our daughter is 3. Therapy began at 2 & 1/2. Sophia loves it. She enjoys her therapists, wants them to come to her birthday parties. When she is getting in trouble for something at home will sometimes cry for a therapist by name.

Therapy is 20 hours a week for her. Plus the occasional speech therapy, music therapy once a week & soon occupational therapy & physicial therapy. Is it alot? Sure. Does she hate it? No.

She is never going to be "normal", whatever that means. However I would be a fool to think that she will be accepted by the world at large if she dosen't learn some social norms.

Sophia dosen't learn the way other kids do so we give her thhe help she needs to learn what other kids learn without help.

For what it's worth one of our ABA therapists thinks that the higher functioning kids need assistance more than anyone because they are the ones who feel alienated because they know they are different. Our center has alot of play groups & social skills groups to help kids out.