Ive been wondering for a while... headbutting

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

laplantain
Toucan
Toucan

29 Nov 2008, 7:20 am

My son and my friend's son does it also. Very painful for the person on the receiving end.
The only thing I can say is, more proprioceptive input seems to help. What's worse than that for me is the biting and subsequent soaking of sleeves and necklines of clothes! He is missing the second or third button down on all his shirts!

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 1:55 pm

When I feel overwhelmed, usually by loud sounds cause I have Hyperacusis, I'll jerk my shoulder up and my head to the side. I think for me, at least, it's a form of self-harm to release more serotonin. Like, cause it makes my neck cramp, but then that pain takes my mind off the pain of my ears.

Lainie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2008, 6:45 pm

My 12 yr old hasn't done this for awhile but he will bump me with his body when he's over stimulated.

annie2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2008, 3:55 am

Yeah, my son does this too when he is over-stimulated - like he is craving tactile touch or something. The trampoline works quite well in this situation as he can bang his body on it a bit. The other thing is swimming - something about the pressure of the water and being "free" in it is reasonably calming.