Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Fort56
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2009, 9:32 am

Offended? Good. Now you know how we feel.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2009, 9:55 am

:) I think there is, or was, a bumper sticker that said that precise same thing.

Jimbeaux
Toucan
Toucan

23 Feb 2009, 1:25 pm

Hey, I'd take a cure... for my OCD, Depression, Tourettes, and migraines. :wink:

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2009, 2:30 pm

:roll:

Wow. Um - OK.

Last edited by natesmom on 23 Feb 2009, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheKingsRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2009, 5:52 pm

Don't sink to their* level

* defined as anyone whom you might sink towards

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2009, 6:08 pm

LiendaBalla wrote:
:) I think there is, or was, a bumper sticker that said that precise same thing.

Right here.

I've got one of these on my car. :)

(I've also got a yard sign that says, "Yes, I am autistic. Stare if you must - I'm not paying attention to you anyway!" Now I just need a yard to put it in.)

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2009, 9:39 pm

CNN!

I want one of those.

Smelena had Cure Neurotypicals Now! aas her member title a while back... I think she still has it, actually.

Jimbeaux
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2009, 8:10 am

I seriously wonder why you would be offended at the whole "Cure for Autism" thing anyway. I suffer from OCD and major depression, both of which are part of who I am, and I would love if they found cures for them.

Not meaning to start a fight. Just curious.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 11:19 am

Because most of the curebies I've encountered devalue my experience as an aspie - after all, I can't really know how I feel or what I want, because I'm "sick" and need to be "cured". They seem to feel that their way is the only right way to be, that disagreeing with them means there's something wrong with you.

Incidentally, if you suffer from actual Depressive Disorder, rather than situational depression caused by something else (as many autistics are depressed by the way curebies treat them), there are available treatments that can ameliorate the condition, at the very least. Since causes of Depressive Disorder vary, the particular medication or combination of medications can vary. (Paxil works well to help with my wife's depression, although the most effective med for her Anxiety Disorder, marijuana, is still illegal in most states.) I understand there are also medical treatments for the biochemical components of OCD as well, although as with depression meds they are most effective in combination with talk therapy.

Jimbeaux
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2009, 11:40 am

My bio-chemical depression / OCD is "controlled" via meds, not "cured". Just a point of clarification. :wink:

jaelb
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Feb 2009, 6:12 pm

I want to cure my aspie son of his anxiety and unhappiness. It tears me up to see him torn up. You know?

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 7:54 pm

jaelb wrote:
I want to cure my aspie son of his anxiety and unhappiness. It tears me up to see him torn up. You know?

Thank you!! That is it exactly. It's not exactly the autism I want to cure but the anxiety and unhappiness. My heart hurts from him. As for his actual Autism, I wouldn't change that for the world because that is what helps make him who he is. I wouldn't change my son for the world but his feelings of anxiety and sadness.

Well said

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 12:18 am

Then prepare yourself to do battle with the world. The cause of your son's anxiety and unhappiness isn't autism - it's the way the rest of the world is permitted to treat autistics, as if we were lesser creatures suited only for scorn, trickery, and beatings. Since it's no longer considered politically correct to do these things to Down's Syndrome kids, or to the physically handicapped, and since it's becoming less acceptable to tease (read: ridicule and torture) overweight kids, autistics are catching the brunt of childhood cruelty (often left uncontrolled by adults, and sometimes encouraged by parents - enraging, but true).

Manage to change societal attitudes, and the problems vanish.

As Tony Attwood once said, there's a simple cure to all the problems associated with autism and AS - just let us be alone in our rooms. No other people to deal with - no problems! Hurrah! :jester:

kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2009, 11:19 am

"Offended"? Nah..but I think the statement was an ignorant generalization of the NT population. It's kind of like saying that all autistic people are the same way, which I know they are not.

I am an NT mom with an AS son. So while I may not be in his shoes, I am fully aware of any difficulties he has and will face, due to ongoing ignorance in this world. I've never tried to "cure" him, but I have tried to make his life as anxiety free as possible...busting chops of idiotic teachers all along the way...

I'm sorry you have had bad experiences in your life and that those experiences have made you think ALL NT people are out to get you. But trust me, we are not.