Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

FrauM
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 May 2009, 7:50 am

My son is 15, very high functioning. He has his rages/explosions, but he has been improving. As his mom, I would tell you he has always lacked common sense and takes things very literally - typical Asperger's characteristics.
Challenge - what to do over this summer? He has the opportunity for a 6 week Summerhire job. The program is intended for students who need employment for just the summertime. It claims to be supervised. My husband and my son's therapist think it would be good for him. Therapist says he needs to try - and be allowed to fail, have difficulty, or succeed (!) - but this mother is rocking in her socks! I'm scared to death he will do something stupid and hurt himself - or get angry and hurt someone else.
And then, even if he accepts the job (it is doing labor around a school building) - do we need to inform others of his Asperger's?
My son is uncertain about taking the position. I'm trying to help him, monitoring his stress/anxiety level about this, but who knows when his stress will go over the top - he certainly doesn't know! ANYBODY ELSE BEEN IN THIS POSITION? ANY SUGGESTIONS? We're also considering some volunteering. It would be fewer hours and very predictable - but no salary.
By the way, I am totally new to this site and posting stuff. Will see how this works....
FrauM

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 12:59 pm

The work experience would be very good for him, give him some social interaction with other young people close to his age and
also, give him some pocket money to spend. All teens love to have their own money to save or do with as they please.

All summer youth employment jobs are well supervised by County Employees so you need not worry. Once your son begins the summer job, ask him how things are going. The supervisors are usually very good in dealing with teens. These summer youth
employment jobs are funded by YOUR tax dollars so allow him to participate.

How will he arrive at the work site each day? Do parents drop the teens off on that first day? Get to know his supervisor on a
friendly basis and introduce yourself that first day. It will show that you are a caring, supportive parent involved in your son's
life...as well as lay the foundation for handling any difficulties should they arise over the course of the summer employment experience.

Tracker
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 9:00 pm

First off, welcome to this site. We have a plate of cookies for you if you know where to find them (they are well hidden).

Secondly:

FrauM wrote:
It would be fewer hours and very predictable - but no salary.

I have to ask what is the point? I mowed 2 of my neighbor's lawns when I was his age and got enough funds to buy what I wanted. I have to question why anybody in their right mind would want to go do manual labor outside when there isnt any pay. I mean if he was in college and took an unpayed internship in order to buff up his resume I could understand. But it's not like a manual labor job at 15 is going to look good on a resume.

Anyways, while I may not understand his reasons, if your son wants to do this, then I would let him. I would work out something ahead of time in case your son gets overloaded (I.E. building to meltdown). If its next to the school, then just leave one of the classrooms unlocked so he can go in there and be by himself if he needs to be. Also, make sure that whoever is supervising this operation knows that your son may need to take some time off and go inside. Ive had a couple bad experiences with my school high school and their forced 'volunteer' work. Specifically there was this one guy who ran the event like a prison chain gang. Anybody who took a break was yelled at, and failing to work fast enough got you scolded. If your son becomes overwhelmed easily, then the last thing you want is a unsympathetic supervisor.

Also, I should point out that this is your son's choice to make. If he wants to go outside and work for no pay, then go ahead an let him. But if he decides not to, that should be a sign that he has changed his mind, not that he is a quitter and needs to be forced into it.