Page 193 of 278 [ 4437 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196 ... 278  Next

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 9:07 am

Almajo88 wrote:
Oh, you don't need a map for that reason. Even if there wasn't an ingame map, the areas are unique enough that you build your own mental map without thinking. The problem is that there are so many weird little features that end up being important when the game actually gets difficult.

I couldn't remember if it had an in-game map or not. It's one of the cartridges you buy, isn't it?

Just a quick map with few details and notes jotted down would still be a map =)

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 1:32 pm

Just getting into Hell Revealed, which has traditionally been regarded as the toughest of all Doom 2 megawads. Reputedly, it becomes close to impossible for all but the most expert players by the halfway point, even on HMP difficulty (which is what I'm using), so I'm not necessarily expecting to finish it.

I did complete Alien Vendetta a few months ago however, and that is usually rated as being in the top difficulty bracket, but HR is probably a couple of notches higher.

Playing in GLBoom-plus, continuous.

Just got 100% kills/items/secrets on level 4, but still couldn't get the BFG, which was in some sort of well. :scratch:

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 2:19 pm

DeepHour wrote:
Rubbish story/plot. Far too complicated and downright silly. The point of no return is when one encounters a goofy, Roswell-type alien called 'Elvis' (yep). This idiot is supposed to help you in your fight against the Skedar aliens, but all he's any good at is getting killed, which means instant mission failure. At one point the US President shows up and I still haven't worked out why. He looks strangely like Obama, though the game was released eight years before he was elected.

Perfectly straightforward: The pimp* that's the head of the NSA in the future is conspiring with klingon dinosaurs, one of which is hiding behind a hologram of a huge blond scandinavian man in a white trenchcoat (very inconspicious), to kidnap and replace the president of the USA with a clone who will act as their puppet. Your boss, the head of an intelligence agency, knows this because a flying laptop told him all about it, and he thought it was serious enough to warrant calling in his buddies, who also happen to be aliens. The klingon dinosaurs are doing this because the USA has knowledge of a crashed spaceship carrying ancient weapons of mass destruction belonging to a third alien race. the Klingon dinosaurs special-ordered the flying laptop so they could hack the alien nukes and use them to defeat the buddies of your boss, who also happen to be their ancient enemies or something.

*dude wears a red suit and carries a gold-plated revolver with tiger skin for the grip...

I especially like how, when you tell the president about the conspiracy and he asks you for evidence, he's apparently satisfied when you show him a disk and say that it's evidence...

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 5:16 pm

Etrian Odyssey.

The first time I tried playing it, I was put off by the fact that you kind of have automap, but you still have to trace it...I think I'm okay with it now.

It's not Wizardry, but it's not bad. The DS certainly has a wealth of Wizardry clones.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 6:54 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Etrian Odyssey.

The first time I tried playing it, I was put off by the fact that you kind of have automap, but you still have to trace it...I think I'm okay with it now.

It's not Wizardry, but it's not bad. The DS certainly has a wealth of Wizardry clones.

Ah yes, Wizardry-clones. The ONE sort of RPG I'll actually get into (they're usually quite focused on gameplay, and often very difficult).

Ever heard of one by the name of Dark Spire? It's an old one (from 2008), but it's on the DS. Very unique in alot of ways. And omigod that soundtrack. I freaking ADORE that soundtrack. There's nothing else (that I'm aware of) that sounds quite like that. Used to have the soundtrack disc that came with the game, had it in my car's CD player all the time. And then the car got obliterated, and there went that....

Fantastic game though. VERY hard.

Biskit69
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2018, 11:42 pm

GTA San Andreas

Ziemael
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Aug 2018, 12:35 am

Ice Wind Dale.
I only play the same games I started playing since the 90s. Mostly GOG & Steam rewrites to fit the modern OS. I hate all the 3D and horrid games with strangers interacting. MMORPG I think they call them. Horrible. Imnsho WOW, Evercrack, and the rest are blights upon the earth.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2018, 5:12 pm

I gave up on Etrian Odyssey again :oops:

It's too slow, and uninteresting, and most importantly, there's no quick-save.

I think I'm just going to go back to Wizardry. Maybe the second game, since the bonus dungeon in the first game was destroying me.

Misery wrote:
Ever heard of one by the name of Dark Spire?

I don't own it, but I have it on my flash cart.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2018, 5:34 pm

More Persona Q. I'm finally making progress.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 9:02 am

Playing Wizard of Legend. It's a fun and "not too hard" roguelike with an interesting battle system.
I'm thinking about buying Deadcells or Octopath Traveler next, still not sure about which one.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 10:42 am

Andrejake wrote:
Playing Wizard of Legend. It's a fun and "not too hard" roguelike with an interesting battle system.
I'm thinking about buying Deadcells or Octopath Traveler next, still not sure about which one.

Dead Cells is fantastic. I've been playing that one through most of it's development, and the final result is excellent. Mostly. There's one specific area in the game that is, well... not exactly well-designed... but other than that it's been great. It's going to be harder than something like Wizard of Legend though (which to me was WAY too easy). And it's going to take a long time if you want to do everything in the game.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 8:00 pm

More Persona Q. It's easily one of my favourite video games ever.
I finally made it to the second dungeon.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2018, 9:37 pm

I got really bored and played a few levels of Sonic Forces. Yeah, it's bad. I just had to confirm it. I'm the biggest apologise for boost gameplay and even I know this is bad. There are legit some parts that would fit in a good Sonic game, but they're so few and far between.

Anyway, I bought Danganronpa. I've heard good things. Haven't played yet, but I will admire it on my Steam library. I like a good VN. Short while back, I played Saya no Uta (hugely recommended if you like horror) and both Kara no Shoujo games. I recommend all those.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 12:19 pm

Note to self: while playing Persona Q, don't just guess that there's walls without checking first, and always check for doors.
Hopefully if I do that more often, I'll stop going round in circles with an inaccurate map.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 7:53 pm

Pokemon Quest on the Switch. I've only downloaded it yesterday, and I have already caught at least 15 Pokemon. So far, the concept is unique in a positive way, and the design is cute.

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 8:44 am

Misery wrote:
Dead Cells is fantastic. I've been playing that one through most of it's development, and the final result is excellent. Mostly. There's one specific area in the game that is, well... not exactly well-designed... but other than that it's been great. It's going to be harder than something like Wizard of Legend though (which to me was WAY too easy). And it's going to take a long time if you want to do everything in the game.

I bought Dead Cells yesterday and what a fantastic game!
I love the way that every skill synergize well with each other, so even when I find a combination that is working especially well, I never get scared to try a new one because it always works at least in a basic way.
And the combat/exploration is so fluid. Amazing game for sure.