Page 5 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Busillis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jun 2011, 8:30 pm

Only finished III through IX and played part of X. FFIV would be my pick.

Gwenwyn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jul 2011, 12:01 am

IX - not because its the best but because it was the first I played. I still have the music on my computer and fondly remember running around in a circle near a rest point for about ten hours. You don't get dizzy after a while.

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 8:41 am

I haven't played a lot of Final Fantasy (I'm more into Dragon Quest), but out of the games I played it would be IV... I only played I, IV, and Mystic Quest...

JMG
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2011, 12:35 am

This is like choosing between children. I would say VII, IX, or VII Crisis Core.

ArthurDent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2011, 5:15 pm

Final Fantasy III/VI: SNES
Final Fantasy VII: PS1
Final Fantasy: NES

Darsalus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Dec 2011, 7:33 pm

My favourite Final Fantasy was probably X and X-2. I dunno why, I just found myself liking the characters a lot :D

WhiteWidow
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2011, 11:43 pm

The three benchmarks in the series thusfar have been V, VII, VIII and X. In my opinion. Each one had a different style of gameplay, characters ect. V was the gateway to the more romantic stories of Final Fantasy, which paved the way for VII to open up it's doors to people with things like love triangles and even philosophy about the Life Stream. VIII was basically a huge interactive romance novel with kick ass spells, and in my opinion - a pretty sweet battle system. X was a whole new world man. X brought the grid which was mind blowing. And X-2 even kicked it up with dress spheres which was really cool. It took forever to master all the dress spheres which was really fun.

OH

and XII WAS MY FAVORITE THE BATTLE SYSTEM AND EVERY SINGLE THING IN THAT GAME WAS INCREDIBLE.

XII was sooooo under rated as one of the best FF's of all time.

AND WHO COULD FORGET TACTICS.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 3:24 am

In my experience each game tends to bring something to the series that I really enjoy. As I progress through each game though they tend to lose some of their appeal, usually because the story starts to fall apart or never really appealed to me in the first place.

The most consistently good game for me was X. The story and characters really drew me in, even if some of their designs were a little strange. One of my favorite features was the Aeons. They really did them right in X. Ever since then they've been pretty useless. It's hard to get excited about them when basically they're s**t.

Skeith
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2011, 2:59 am

final fantasy 8 or 10. i liked ten for the aeons and i really liked the storyline. both hopefilled and tragic. and 8 because it was the first one that i played and it was just an extremely epic game :)

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2011, 3:05 am

Didn't like anything after FFX.

Thought FFX was just okay....good gameplay, not very enjoyable story though.

Wish Square would've expanded on Xenogears instead. Now, that was a JRPG with an interesting story.

#7 Brandon Roy (2006-2011). Thanks for the memories.

TellEmSteveDave
Toucan
Toucan

23 Dec 2011, 2:23 pm

VII or IX

in my opinion the first 9 games are the best, 10 is meh and every game since has been disappointing, not because they're necessarily "bad", they just feel really linear and predictable. The recent games have deviated too far from the spirit of the original series.

When I was a kid i fell in love with the Final Fantasy games because they were epic adventures! you could spend hours and hours exploring the world, battling monsters, playing mini-games and embarking on side quests, not knowing what was around the corner!

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

23 Dec 2011, 6:52 pm

TellEmSteveDave wrote:
VII or IX

in my opinion the first 9 games are the best, 10 is meh and every game since has been disappointing, not because they're necessarily "bad", they just feel really linear and predictable. The recent games have deviated too far from the spirit of the original series.

When I was a kid i fell in love with the Final Fantasy games because they were epic adventures! you could spend hours and hours exploring the world, battling monsters, playing mini-games and embarking on side quests, not knowing what was around the corner!

No, for sure man.

FFX, while decent, pointed towards a more J-pop culture oriented field aka this generations Final Fantasy games. While that's fine, it has led into a new brand of Final Fantasy that has put off gamers. bringing down the popularity of the series. It has become more of a factory product rather than an innovative game....sort of like where Call of Duty is going right now.

The Final Fantasy series should strive towards a Skyrim feel. I'm not saying to copy Bethesda and make it an open world, sandbox game like Skyrim or even Grand Theft Auto. Instead, it should try to go back to that exploration factor. One of my fondest memories of these J-RPG's was exploring the world map, with beautiful music in the background, alongside a unique set of characters. That's what these new Final Fantasy games are missing. They're borrowing too much from generic anime plots and this isn't to knock on anime/manga but rather cliche elements that generic anime shows have. The influence of films and tv shows have a drastic effect on the memorability of the games. Take Akira, for example. Possibly one of the best anime films ever and one can see the influence it has in a game like Final Fantasty 7, with it's bleak, metallic dystopian future and motorcycle chase scenes. I feel these new Final Fantasy games lack that.

It's not even an East-West RPG thing either. People need to put the "J-RPG's are this and W-RPG's are this" idea aside. It's more of an exploration factor and a creativity that is missing in the Japanese industry. I mean, a lot of these older guys who gave the world great games in the 80's and 90's are becoming unsatisfied with the direction the Japanese gaming industry is going. And for good reason.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 10:33 pm

Synecdoche wrote:
TellEmSteveDave wrote:
VII or IX

No, for sure man.

FFX, while decent, pointed towards a more J-pop culture oriented field aka this generations Final Fantasy games. While that's fine, it has led into a new brand of Final Fantasy that has put off gamers. bringing down the popularity of the series. It has become more of a factory product rather than an innovative game....sort of like where Call of Duty is going right now.

The Final Fantasy series should strive towards a Skyrim feel. I'm not saying to copy Bethesda and make it an open world, sandbox game like Skyrim or even Grand Theft Auto. Instead, it should try to go back to that exploration factor. One of my fondest memories of these J-RPG's was exploring the world map, with beautiful music in the background, alongside a unique set of characters. That's what these new Final Fantasy games are missing. They're borrowing too much from generic anime plots and this isn't to knock on anime/manga but rather cliche elements that generic anime shows have. The influence of films and tv shows have a drastic effect on the memorability of the games. Take Akira, for example. Possibly one of the best anime films ever and one can see the influence it has in a game like Final Fantasty 7, with it's bleak, metallic dystopian future and motorcycle chase scenes. I feel these new Final Fantasy games lack that.

It's not even an East-West RPG thing either. People need to put the "J-RPG's are this and W-RPG's are this" idea aside. It's more of an exploration factor and a creativity that is missing in the Japanese industry. I mean, a lot of these older guys who gave the world great games in the 80's and 90's are becoming unsatisfied with the direction the Japanese gaming industry is going. And for good reason.

I don't know what you mean by "Skyrim feel" when you say you don't mean open world, sandbox style lol.. that's about all it is.

I agree that FF needs to put a bit more effort into creating an immersive world with engaging characters. XIII's main problem was the incoherent plot and mary-sue characters. That, and the fact that there was absolutely nothing to draw you in to the world. The NPCs never had anything remotely useful to say, and half the time it was "let's kill the l'cie! those l'cie should die!" The environments were usually very nice but there was never an opportunity to explore.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 11:03 pm

6, 7, and Tactics, to me were the pinnacle of the series. 9 and 10 were also pretty good, but it went downhill in a hurry after that.

That said, of the 14 single player games, the only one I didn't care to finish was X-2.

colonel1fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2011, 8:20 am

Well, seeing as I've only played two of them so far, my faves would have to be:

FF X and FF XII

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

28 Dec 2011, 12:49 pm

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
I don't know what you mean by "Skyrim feel" when you say you don't mean open world, sandbox style lol.. that's about all it is.

Yeah, I mean the "exploration" quality in a game. A game doesn't have to be open world, sandbox to have that quality. Rather, it has more to do with how immersive the world is to the gamer. Final Fantasy is supposed to be an adventure. I don't feel that in these newer ones.