Page 34 of 90 [ 1434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 90  Next

Starlight-Supernova
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2011, 11:15 am

Tosoth wrote:
I think that all Zelda games (apart from 1 and 2) suffer somewhat from that, usually because they're tied down to the linear item progression. Do dungeon, get item which allows you to access/solve the next dungeon, doesn't get much more interesting than that (but for some ungodly reason they insist on making the same kinda game over and over again, only with prettier graphics).

I don't get the Zelda hype from the fans...it is basically the same type of game on all of them and I only ever liked Wind Waker on how they made the outside world more interesting as to what is inside.

Tosoth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Apr 2011, 11:58 am

I stopped caring altogether by Twilight Princess, and the only portable games I have are ports of 2 and 3 to the GBA (adding to that, I own copies of 1, 2, 3, OoT and MM altogether). Nintendo has this nasty habit with sequels to make the exact same game, with *one* new twist of some sort, and of course not supporting projects that are different, often made by 2nd or 3rd party studios. For example, when Metroid Other M came, they declared the entire Prime-trilogy non-canonical (for some damn reason, they don't conflict chronologically), too bad then that Other M appears to be a huge pile of crap (haven't played it, and the way they mess around with established characters doesn't really make me reach for my wallet).

SonicMisaki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 2:55 pm

Great Fray Smash Brothers X (Wii, 2008)
* Switched from Balanced to Brawl- two days ago. Again, IT'S PLETTY GOOD. Sonic and Ganondorf in particular stand out in terms of changes.

SonicMisaki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 4:22 pm

Starlight-Supernova wrote:
Tosoth wrote:
I think that all Zelda games (apart from 1 and 2) suffer somewhat from that, usually because they're tied down to the linear item progression. Do dungeon, get item which allows you to access/solve the next dungeon, doesn't get much more interesting than that (but for some ungodly reason they insist on making the same kinda game over and over again, only with prettier graphics).

I don't get the Zelda hype from the fans...it is basically the same type of game on all of them and I only ever liked Wind Waker on how they made the outside world more interesting as to what is inside.

Sure, that's a Zelda thing. This also applies to Shantae, Sonic, Halo, Street Fighter (most of the time)...heck, even Super Mario Galaxy did this once. And you know what?

THEY ALL WORK.

Starlight-Supernova
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2011, 4:46 pm

Tosoth wrote:
I stopped caring altogether by Twilight Princess, and the only portable games I have are ports of 2 and 3 to the GBA (adding to that, I own copies of 1, 2, 3, OoT and MM altogether). Nintendo has this nasty habit with sequels to make the exact same game, with *one* new twist of some sort, and of course not supporting projects that are different, often made by 2nd or 3rd party studios. For example, when Metroid Other M came, they declared the entire Prime-trilogy non-canonical (for some damn reason, they don't conflict chronologically), too bad then that Other M appears to be a huge pile of crap (haven't played it, and the way they mess around with established characters doesn't really make me reach for my wallet).

I never knew they made the Prime series non-canon...interesting.

SonicMisaki wrote:
Sure, that's a Zelda thing. This also applies to Shantae, Sonic, Halo, Street Fighter (most of the time)...heck, even Super Mario Galaxy did this once. And you know what?

THEY ALL WORK.

Although the picture was unnecessary as I do agree with you that it works, but sometimes things do need to change from time to time...have you noticed how Call of Duty is making countless sequels and selling whilst better, more unique games are selling very low numbers?

That's what happens when something gets hugely popular it loses its uniqueness...despite what team you are on...you have to admit that is currently the case with not only games, but with films AND music (Justin Beiber is popular as there are more people as teenagers who are into cheesy pop then the general listeners of all music).

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 8:17 pm

Imo all the zelda games I've played work except the earlier ones.
And not just because of the bad graphics, because of the enemy problem.

Tosoth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Apr 2011, 1:13 am

SonicMisaki wrote:
Tosoth wrote:

THEY ALL WORK.
(Image removed for formatting)

Never said that they don't work, what I mean is that I find series that go on without evolving tend to stagnate in my eyes, especially when you have series with 10+ games that have moved very little over the course of 20 years.

Starlight-Supernova
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2011, 7:32 am

Tosoth wrote:
Never said that they don't work, what I mean is that I find series that go on without evolving tend to stagnate in my eyes, especially when you have series with 10+ games that have moved very little over the course of 20 years.

Pretty much yeah.

Then you have games that in a way should stay to their old formula like Sonic....not that I didn't like some of the 3D games but I felt like I enjoyed the games more in the classic formula...of course even that series needs to change too but maybe they should split the series so one says to the old/proven platforming whilst trying to experiment with the new one....I heard Colours did well being a 2.5D game but I felt that it somehow felt like it was still relying on speed as a gimmick rather then the platforming aspects.

Anyways, what type of game would you like to return if there was a change of it changing for the better?

inexplicablefolly
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Apr 2011, 10:21 am

Pokémon Black and Picross 3D

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

13 Apr 2011, 11:05 am

Homefront and Perfect Dark (N64 Version).

Tosoth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Apr 2011, 12:00 pm

Anyways, what type of game would you like to return if there was a change of it changing for the better?

Tough question, since just about every genre is alive nowadays (even adventure games have gotten a comeback :D ).

Of course, I may have misread you and you meant series, in which case I'd say... Freespace, since it was planned to be a trilogy and Interplay are being IP-trolls who refuse to sell the franchise to THQ so Volition can finish the series (which they apparently want to do, and they have tons of the people who worked on 1/2 in the company still). With their improved tech (geo-mod in a space-sim? Gimme!) and experience, I'd bet serious money that they could make one of the best damned games ever, without straying from what makes Freespace awesome. The worst thing one can do is to make a game in a series (that isn't a spin-off) that disregards the style and gameplay from the previous games.

And to get back on topic, just started with Dwarf Fortress again. To quote tvtropes, "The main game is Fortress mode, which plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics.".

Starlight-Supernova
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2011, 1:27 pm

Tosoth wrote:

Tough question, since just about every genre is alive nowadays (even adventure games have gotten a comeback :D ).

Of course, I may have misread you and you meant series, in which case I'd say... Freespace, since it was planned to be a trilogy and Interplay are being IP-trolls who refuse to sell the franchise to THQ so Volition can finish the series (which they apparently want to do, and they have tons of the people who worked on 1/2 in the company still). With their improved tech (geo-mod in a space-sim? Gimme!) and experience, I'd bet serious money that they could make one of the best damned games ever, without straying from what makes Freespace awesome. The worst thing one can do is to make a game in a series (that isn't a spin-off) that disregards the style and gameplay from the previous games.

And to get back on topic, just started with Dwarf Fortress again. To quote tvtropes, "The main game is Fortress mode, which plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics.".

Yeah, even those seem to be doing well these days (I think we have to thank Phoenix Wright in that regard).

Sounds like Interplay wanted it to die to me....

Anyways, 4 Heroes of Light....still can't past the Snow Queen...that b**ch.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 1:41 pm

I still need to finish Apollo Justice. <.< But the previous Phoenix Wright are good. ^^

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 3:31 pm

Rift online,
though playing mmo's is a risk at times

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 7:19 pm

Metroid Fusion.

Nightmaaaaaaaaare!! !

Psychopompos
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 4:26 am

Heroes of Might and Magic V. I like it better than the previous games of the series.

Alum dare, dolere, id Hephaestus, id ire / Pro profundis fati / Pro pulchris infernarum profundis / Pro pulchris omni fati brachium / Pulchris profundis infernarum servi fati / Profundis, profundis fati