Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TonyTheTiger
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Dec 2009, 9:46 am

Anyone on here play it? I've played it for more than ten years, it's one of my biggest obsessions.

Slumberwatcher
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Dec 2009, 10:22 am

I used to play it about 10 years ago. But I stopped after a bad experience with it.

I mentioned it to a "friend" who was also playing it and he wanted to play against me, mostly to show of his huge deck of cards that he had spent hundreds of dollars to make "perfect". Me on the other hand only bought two decks and played a little with one of my friends cause it was fun.

Anyway, I didn't make much fuzz about it and thought it would be nice to play and I won three time in a row. He (a "grown up" in his twenties) almost started to cry. I felt really uncomfortable since I didn't want to make him upset but I just could not loose, I even tried to cheat a little in his favor the last game.

After that it wasn't fun any more. If games can't be fun for everyone I can't see no use in playing at all. So I gave all my cards to my kid brother (including some card that was supposed the be super-rare.).

Was that off-topic or was it? :) Anyway, I used to play and really liked it. But nowadays I don't have anyone to play with (or any cards left for that matter) so, not any more.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 10:22 am

TonyTheTiger wrote:
Anyone on here play it? I've played it for more than ten years, it's one of my biggest obsessions.

I love a good magic the gathering game I personally love to use blue and black

TonyTheTiger
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Dec 2009, 11:42 am

Slumberwatcher wrote:
I used to play it about 10 years ago. But I stopped after a bad experience with it.

I mentioned it to a "friend" who was also playing it and he wanted to play against me, mostly to show of his huge deck of cards that he had spent hundreds of dollars to make "perfect". Me on the other hand only bought two decks and played a little with one of my friends cause it was fun.

Anyway, I didn't make much fuzz about it and thought it would be nice to play and I won three time in a row. He (a "grown up" in his twenties) almost started to cry. I felt really uncomfortable since I didn't want to make him upset but I just could not loose, I even tried to cheat a little in his favor the last game.

After that it wasn't fun any more. If games can't be fun for everyone I can't see no use in playing at all. So I gave all my cards to my kid brother (including some card that was supposed the be super-rare.).

Was that off-topic or was it? :) Anyway, I used to play and really liked it. But nowadays I don't have anyone to play with (or any cards left for that matter) so, not any more.

My brother used to play, and he'd get mad sometimes if I beat him, which I usually would. My friends played it pretty casually, but I got really into the tournament scene and actually got to go to a few professional tournaments. Even won some money a couple of times.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 3:32 pm

Ebonwinter wrote:
TonyTheTiger wrote:

Odd, my tourney deck was black & blue. Called it the Bruise of Death :)

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 6:07 pm

ViperaAspis wrote:
Ebonwinter wrote:
TonyTheTiger wrote:

Odd, my tourney deck was black & blue. Called it the Bruise of Death :)

I loved snow decks or aggressive control decks

Plqx
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Dec 2009, 9:57 am

I started playing it 11 years ago or so. Continued playing casually until the only shop within 30 miles of where I lived that stocked them closed down. About a week later Wizards of the Coast stopped selling MTG cards in the UK completely. They have since started up again but there are no stores within an hour's journey of me that stock them and I don't know anyone who still plays, so I really can't be bothered. Still have all my old cards though (including some VERY old ones). Wonder how much they are worth...

kriskarnage
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2009, 9:51 am

I used to play a lot a real long time ago. It started out with me and my brother playing, but it evolved going to shops around the state to play in tournies. I was really good at Sealed / Draft play, getting a Top 4 finish at the Temptest pre-release tourny outta like 400+ people. I made a lot of friends and was one of the better times in my life.

t0
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 9:27 pm

Slumberwatcher wrote:

We used to solve this problem by purchasing a set number of starter decks per player and randomly distributing the decks to the players in our group. It's a lot more fun to play that way when everyone is on close to equal footing.

That said, I haven't played in over a decade - I used to play green/red and pure black. Seems like those colors are easier to put together when your number of cards is limited.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 4:55 pm

Ive been playing since the end of 5th and Mirage (about when Tempest started i think). Still play to this day actually, though i wound up taking a 6 year vacation due to an odd work schedule . . . but i have tried to keep up with the blocks. I'll admit that Alara, Ravnica, and Mirrodin have been my favorites thus far. Zendicar shows promise, but seems to lack multi-color cards . . . granted, the last Alara set (Reborn) was completely multi-color oriented so that could be the reason. I recently got back into FNM, and i swear i missed it (granted the noise causes me some distress, but the game keeps me focused). The first tournament deck i used was a Black/Red Dragon Reanimator from the set that had Scourge (Got 3rd place . . . was quite proud of myself 8) ). Im currently working on a few ideas, but only a solid black Vampire deck seems to be working for me (one deck revolves around Landfall/Domain mechanics, and the other uses Devour). Made a bit of an oops at last week's tournament . . . used the Landfall/Domain deck, but had flubbed up its design ><.

Reference:
Landfall - Abilities triggered by putting a land into the battlefield under your control (and yes, these get nasty).
Domain - Do X damage, or increase creature stats by +X/+X (and any other X spells effects) where X is the number of basic land types among lands you control.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2009, 6:20 am

I played back when Revised was out. Gave it up shortly after Homelands came out because I sold my cards to build a new computer. I picked it up again a long time later during the Ravnica block. Quit again for a few years and picked it up again earlier this year the week after Alara Reborn came out. Been hardcore into it ever since. I have a pretty naster Landfall based deck and a RW deck built around Valakut.

Viktorya
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Dec 2009, 6:32 pm

I used to play a lot back during the Mirrodin/Kamigawa blocks (I mainly collected before that but didn't really play), but I took a break from then until about a month ago. I've gotten back into it and play with a few people at school... I only have a handful of the new cards, though, and I don't really know any of the new mechanics yet. I have thousands of the old cards though, and build random (and not always very useful) decks when I'm bored. :)

Jpeg
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Dec 2009, 12:41 am

I have played occasionally for a couple years but lack people to play with so have never really gotten into it.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 10:31 am

Viktorya wrote:
I used to play a lot back during the Mirrodin/Kamigawa blocks (I mainly collected before that but didn't really play), but I took a break from then until about a month ago. I've gotten back into it and play with a few people at school... I only have a handful of the new cards, though, and I don't really know any of the new mechanics yet. I have thousands of the old cards though, and build random (and not always very useful) decks when I'm bored. :)

You could try a tournament. If you look up online, you can find local areas that host FNM or other various Magic game styles.

Grimfaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2010, 1:43 am

Not anymore... there is a reason we refer to it as paper crack. I spent an entire year playing it for a living. I was rated in the top 10 of the world at one time. Won a series of 256+ person tourneys with a 4 color deck. This was way back when they were just starting the pro tour and I decided that it wasn't going to be fun anymore so quit.

TonyTheTiger
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jan 2010, 3:49 pm

Grimfaire wrote:
Not anymore... there is a reason we refer to it as paper crack. I spent an entire year playing it for a living. I was rated in the top 10 of the world at one time. Won a series of 256+ person tourneys with a 4 color deck. This was way back when they were just starting the pro tour and I decided that it wasn't going to be fun anymore so quit.

For real? No offense, I don't mean to sound questioning, but this seems a bit outlandish, I can't see playing it for a living with no Pro Tour, and I doubt they could get a series of tournaments that large at that early point in the game's development.