Page 4 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

09 Nov 2010, 9:16 am

Second Life is a good exploration game, it's meant to be a chatting thing rather than a game but i used it just to explore the worlds that the different members had created themselves. It's kind of like real life only the talking is in text form. The maps can be based on real places or made up ones. They have live music events and you can watch video's too. Some of the locations are like giant theme parks where you can take a ride on slow moving roller coasters, trains, etc. Or you can just walk or fly around.

MaskedJackal
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Nov 2010, 6:08 pm

I've read some of the first page, not the rest, but I'd like to give my own two cents. Like a lot of other media, games have developed into less and less of a niche market, yes, but there is still much good to be found. Indie games, flash games, these sort of lower-budget games fit into new niches, and can be considered a lot more unique, while most of the AAA titles are repetitive borefests tailored to those who haven't developed a good taste for video games. It may be hard to find these games sometimes, but gaming isn't crap just yet.

AnAlias
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 5:50 pm

MaskedJackal wrote:
I've read some of the first page, not the rest, but I'd like to give my own two cents. Like a lot of other media, games have developed into less and less of a niche market, yes, but there is still much good to be found. Indie games, flash games, these sort of lower-budget games fit into new niches, and can be considered a lot more unique, while most of the AAA titles are repetitive borefests tailored to those who haven't developed a good taste for video games. It may be hard to find these games sometimes, but gaming isn't crap just yet.
+1, QFT, seconded, all that crap. :) I think the game I really want to play doesn't exist yet. I will have to make it myself when I have more time.

SonicMisaki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 6:14 pm

If you really want a unique game, download Sonic MegaMix.

AnAlias
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 7:22 pm

SonicMisaki wrote:
If you really want a unique game, download Sonic MegaMix.
Sonic MegaMix is an interesting looking modification/expansion to the first sonic game, but what is unique about it?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 10:27 pm

It's unique in that it's one of the few homebrews for the Sega CD? :?

I got nothin' 8)

SonicMisaki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 2:04 pm

Well, it's unique as an expansion of the original Sonic 1. Instead of just Sonic, there are Sonic, Mighty the Armadillo, Shadow, Tails, and Knuckles. MegaMix has many new features and moves compared with StH1, like a preferences menu ( 8) ), light dash, super forms, and more! :D

Last edited by SonicMisaki on 16 Nov 2010, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Klint
Veteran
Veteran

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 5:08 am

Tollorin wrote:
Ico and Shadow of Collosus are two pretty unique games on PS2 and to get out on PS3 soon.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMsGiJ_Fc3g&feature=fvst[/youtube]

ARLONG!! ARLONG!! ARLONG!! ... great great game. I still have the music in my head till this day.

MACHINARIUM (puzzle)

World of Goo (puzzle)

Two games you will not regret playing.

:::)

Mikelight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Nov 2010, 2:24 am

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

quite possibly the best game in the series, very dark with a good story and plenty of character development... for characters who aren't Link anyway.

Thebigrage
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2010, 9:45 pm

I would recommend Minecraft, it is a game where you create everything in it, the graphics are all blocky but it has very creative and unique gameplay style. It is for the pc and you can use custom character skins create your own world, buildings, has a unique crafting system, alpha version is always being updated, they just put in a nether world gate in the alpha version, you can even mine to the center of the map, there are creatures to kill, but it is free roam and the bad guys are only in nether, or out at night in the day there are farm animals and there are endless possibilities it is so addicting. If you want to know more about it check out Seananners on youtube and his mincraft videos he has 17 out right now but the game is amazing it is also multiplayer, however if you want a better experience buy the alpha.

Solipsist
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Nov 2010, 5:19 pm

If it hasn't already been said, try Okami.

battlekid
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Nov 2010, 1:29 am

Minecraft
http://www.minecraft.net
Very fun. Still being worked on. Not even in beta yet. Least buggy beta I've ever seen :)

VERY fun and creative. VERY unique. It's like legos with zombies and stuff.

It's a little low-res graphics, but thats ok. Its designed to use those levels of graphics to add to the charm. You can even change how just about anything in the game looks with texture packs. You can even create your own texture packs! It's very well know, he has sold over 600,000 copies so far. Classic is free and a partial look at it. Over 2,000,000 registered accounts! It's pretty big. Try it, you won't regret it.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 7:41 pm

Monster Hunter and it's sequels.

At first glance, the MH games look like run-of-the mill hack-and-slash action/rpg's like Phantasy Star, but Monster Hunter is much more. Technically, you don't level up in the games so you could wear any armor or weild any weapon so long as you have access to it. All the monsters are extremely well-designed and different from each other and since they can usually kill you quite quickly unless you memorize their attacks and mannerisms and figure when and when not to attack. You also need to make items to use on monsters like traps or specific types of bombs(sonic bombs for creatures with sensitive hearing, dung bombs for those that rely on smell). Multiplayer is a must and since you can't go online with the psp games, I'd go with the wii game which has a free online mode.

Monster Hunter Freedoom Unite is the only game I own that I've thrown over 400 hours into because it's so addictive and rewarding. Once you've defeated a monster that has been beating you to a pulp for a while, it's almost like you've cured cancer.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 9:43 am

Sorry for the late reply, but I was dusting off my Playstation the other day and I finally remembered the other game I was trying to think of...

LSD: Dream Emulator

It's like a virtual dream journal and practically all you do is walk around and explore, no combat at all. Definitely unique...I wouldn't mind seeing something like it, but a bit more updated...though I think the poor graphics really add to the "this is one messed up dream" charm. A lot of it reminds me of dreams I've had back when I used to be more heavy into game dev...especially the train track dream area.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 11:05 am

Defcon: Everybody Dies is quite unique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mef2qRua4Oo

Netrek is a free 16 player game that while it may not be original in the sense that it looks like an old 2D game out of the atari or nintendo 1 days.. it is however extremely addictive and very tactical in nature (not a click-click shooter game). It is multiplayer only, free and has been on the internet for over 20 years. Yes, its THAT addictive :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i10RcxWMozc

Battleground: Europe is a world war 2 MMO that is unique in wargaming history because it is not a shooter game, its a simulator. Unlike Call of Duty and other such games, in BGE you HAVE to use your brain as well as your reflexes. Biggest, baddest and greatest thing about this game is that there are no AI/NPC opponents. Everything you see in the video below that moves, shoots and does something is a player. The MMO has only one server so you do have battles at time that involve several hundred players at once.. playing infantry, armor, artillery guns, naval warships and aircraft.

In the video (I filmed it) even the transport plane is flown by a player. The vid shows only a fraction of what you can do in the game (infantry/paratroop play). The graphics have also been significantly updated since that video was taken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dMjEri5TI8