Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 2:18 pm

Anyone else so excited about this game that they are having difficulty with bowel control?

(No my AS brothers and sisters, I am not being literal) :lol:

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 5:26 pm

Yes, this is a game I'm definitely looking forward to. I'm also loking ofrward to next months game informer which'll have a cover story on it.

also a bit of news on who the big boss of the game might be. Link: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.255583-Dragon-Tongue-Reveals-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrims-World-Eater

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 5:28 pm

It will be positively off its bean. Modern Warfare 3? No!! Skyrim is where its at :D

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 5:36 pm

It's a long wait. Made me want to go load up Oblivion again for another 100 hours but my Xbox died at the thought :cry:

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 5:41 pm

MidlifeAspie wrote:
Anyone else so excited about this game that they are having difficulty with bowel control?

No. Best case is they take the absolutely mundane "Nordic" setting and give it an unusual twist, which is what Morrowind did for the absolutely mundane "Dark Elf" setting and what Oblivion utterly failed to do for the utterly mundane "Vestigial Empire" setting. Bloodmoon wasn't stellar so I'm not expecting much.

The year is still young.

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 5:47 pm

I could be asking if anyone is excited about the horde of naked women coming to your house to feed you chocolate and beer while upgrading all your household electronics and washing your car ... and still someone would come along and crap all over it. Ahhhh, the internet :lol:

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Jan 2011, 2:49 pm

MidlifeAspie wrote:

(No my AS brothers and sisters, I am not being literal) :lol:

I am looking forward to this! I've been a big Elder Scrolls fan since Daggerfall, and I probably spent more time in Morrowind than any other single-player game.

And I was actually prepared to respond literally. :D

Edit to add:

I liked Oblivion and Bloodmoon just fine. I think that Oblivion pulled off the whole mystery cult thing really well (and did it <em>twice</em>). Yes, it should have been jungle and that sucked, and the level scaling sucked, but I mean that was in an otherwise good game.

Bloodmoon was fun and atmospheric, and a nice change of pace from Morrowind itself without also being "traditional fantasy."

To be honest, I find the idea of Nordic settings being generic rather strange, as I haven't had much exposure to them in video games or fantasy fiction. Has it really proliferated so much? And I mean saying this as someone for whom the Aesir were a big interest for a long time - so it'd definitely interest me if I could find some.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 7:40 pm

MidlifeAspie wrote:
I could be asking if anyone is excited about the horde of naked women coming to your house to feed you chocolate and beer while upgrading all your household electronics and washing your car ... and still someone would come along and crap all over it. Ahhhh, the internet :lol:

*shrugs* TES are not a neutral subject among gamers. :P
TVTropes, Broken Base, Video Games wrote:
The Elder Scrolls fanbase is divided into multiple factions; those who think Morrowind is pure brilliance but consider Oblivion to be dumbed down for the "console 'tards" and Daggerfall to be a glitchy, repetitive mess, those who loved Daggerfall but think of Morrowind what the Morrowind fans think of Oblivion (and don't even get them started on Oblivion), those who like Oblivion but think Morrowind is clunky, ugly (more the setting than the graphics), and repetitive and probably don't even know Daggerfall exists, those enjoyed both Daggerfall and Morrowind but not Oblivion, the people who enjoyed Morrowind and Oblivion but either don't care for Daggerfall or never played it (possibly because it never came out on the Xbox), and about 3 people that think the whole series should have stopped with Arena. Say the wrong thing in the wrong section of the official forums and you'll quickly attract a lynch mob.
You forgot the people that like all the Elder Scrolls games. Both of us.
And fans of Elder Scrolls lore are even worse. See Base Breaker.

As a great philosopher once wrote, I wouldn't tell you if I didn't care. If Skyrim turns out to have Daggerfall's randomness, Morrowind's setting and (slightly-better-than) Oblivion's graphics I'll be delighted; heck, I was wrong, before - best case is they implement properly what they promised but didn't deliver* with Oblivion, a truly responsive character AI - y'know, of the "I'm hungry, so I need to eat; where can I get food? Bob sells food. To buy I need money. How do I make money? Decisions, decisions..." kind. But it won't - I know it won't, you know it won't - and it won't have any element of randomness in the scenery - I know it, you know it - and the scale will be far too small as a direct consequence ("welcome to the Imperial City, population 7 1/2") though it will have better graphics - I know, you know - and how well they do the setting is what remains as the big question.

*best thing I ever saw Oblivion's character AI deliver was a skirmish between a hunter, some random bad guy and some deer in the woods that went on for a while; I forget the details, but remember it was amusing to watch.

Verdandi wrote:
Bloodmoon was fun and atmospheric, and a nice change of pace from Morrowind itself without also being "traditional fantasy."

Perhaps I've been over-exposed to Nordic stuff (LRP is full of cod-Vikings) but it pretty much boils down to "bring me more ale, wench! I've a snow-moose to hunt!" I quite liked Bloodmoon - it had werewolves in it, after all - but it (like Tribunal) felt disjointed, to me, and the only real oddity was the airship full of snow-elves (or whatever it was, haven't played for a long time.) The building-up-the-town bit was canny, the now-I-craft-you-your-snow-weapons bit I didn't like.

Urk, I'm trying to think of video games with Norse stuff, and the ones that spring to mind are Heimdall and the The Lost Vikings. Which kinda proves a) my age and b) your point, I s'pose they aren't overdone in games. Blood Bowl, er, Age of Whatevers, er, LOTRO was kinda funny with its Finnish dudes, got bored with WoW before Northrend, er.

Hang on a minute, Verdandi? Why do I know that- heh, figures. :wink:

The year is still young.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 1:03 am

Skyrim will be awesome, I put about 120 hours into Oblivion in 2007 I think, and the furthest I got in the main story was just after the Daedra gate in Kvatch. :D

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 1:26 am

Well, as soon as my copy of game informer comes in I'll know all the hyped up details, but from what I've read from people who already got theirs it is claimed that almost everything about the game has been changed.
I'll quote the guy below

Quote:
Ok, here is my recap of the info, hope it helps. This is not all the info, however.

On leveling:
Totally revamped, no more class selection at the start of the game, every skill you level contributes to your overall level. And each time you level you get extra health plus the ability to get either more health, magicka or stamina.
Each level also brings you perks. Cool abilities I guess like in Fallout 3.
Also, the leveling was moved from 1-25 or something like that to 1-50, but 50 is soft-capped, you just advance really slow after that.

On skills:
Mysticism is gone.
18 skills, down from 21 on Oblivion, and 27 on Morrowind.
Tries to accomodate players who want to specialize in a certain proffesion (like mage or thief), while at the same time giving room for players who like to do plenty of everything. They want to keep a special care so that this feels good, not prone to cheating and organic.

On the story and lore:
200 years after Oblivion. Set in Skyrim, a region north of the imperial city, where the Nords live.
The dragons are returning, as it was prophetized. You are gonna be trying to stop the wicked dragon god. You are a dragonborn, a dragon hunter. Your mentor is one of the last blade, voiced by some old dude from Shutter Island and Minority Report.
Also, there is a civil war, since the king is dead.
Enemies include were-yeti's, giant spider, dragons and other cool creatures.

On combat:
They want to make it more dynamic and tactical. You have to assign each hand with a function I think, either magic, 2 weapons, a weapon and a shield, etc.
You can also waste stamina by sprinting, allowing you to get access to tactical postitions.
Emphasis on really improving the combat this time around.
They are also putting care on how each weapon feel on your hand.

Other:
Third person view has been improved
5 massive cities, more variation in caves and underground stuff.

On quests:
Quests are much more dynamic now.
The quests are now more determined by how you build your chracter, individual actions and overall much more dynamic. Examples provided: If you are more of a magic user, some other mage may approach you who may not have had if you were just a melee character. Or if you killed some dude who owned a store that was gonna give you a quest, his sister would inherit the store, but she may resent you before giving you the quest. Also, if you drop a weapon in the street instead of selling it, it may just dissapear, some kid may get it and give it back to you, which would lead to a series of stuff, or some dudes may fight over who gets it.
Also, it said that the quests you are given would be modified by how you have played (I guess like scaling the quests). For example, the location of a rescue mission would be determined by which location you have visited (it will try to give you a dungeon you haven't been in) and I guess also giving you appropriate enemies to your level.

I can add that there is an option for no HUD.

On Conversations:
Conversations aren't done in a zoomed in static shot anymore.
Start a conversation with some and they will act like someone would in real life, looking at you occasionally and walking around a bit and also continue doing a task if they were doing one while talking.

On Weapon smithing:
Go to a forge and carve a new weapon out of red hot metal.

Recap

Dual-wielding: you have two hands now in combat and you can wield anything to both hands. You may assign a dagger on left hand and use a mace with right hand. The choice as they say is yours.

Duel: You may duel any NPC on the streets western style.

Inheritence: When you kill a shopkeeper, his/her family member will inherit the shop and will be angry about you, but stil give you missions.

Level-scaling: It is coming back

18 skills: supposedly even less skills to play with?

No mysticism

Perks: Abilities on level up

Boosts: Pick stamina, health, magic boosts on level up.

Enchanting: This skill makes a return.

"Radiant storytelling" or Level Scaling 2.0: "The game eventually logs a huge storehouse of knowledge about how you've played, and subsequently tailors content to your capabilities and experiences. Entering a city, a young woman might approach you and beg you to save her daughter from kidnappers. The game will look at the nearby dungeons you've explored, automatically set the mission in a place you've never visited, and designate opponents that are appropriately matched to your strengths and weaknesses."

Fast-Travel: As you probably expect, you can instantly travel to previous locations with a tap of the button

Sprinting: You can now sprint about!

Town visiting: You may do more in towns, like tailor weapons, cooking, farming or mining. Not much details about this or how detailed they are as jobs.

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 11:24 am

Sounds excellent. Looking forward to my copy :)

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

09 Jan 2011, 3:19 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Perhaps I've been over-exposed to Nordic stuff (LRP is full of cod-Vikings) but it pretty much boils down to "bring me more ale, wench! I've a snow-moose to hunt!" I quite liked Bloodmoon - it had werewolves in it, after all - but it (like Tribunal) felt disjointed, to me, and the only real oddity was the airship full of snow-elves (or whatever it was, haven't played for a long time.) The building-up-the-town bit was canny, the now-I-craft-you-your-snow-weapons bit I didn't like.

I love werewolves in fantasy, although I don't recall seeing a lot of them. I like shapeshifting in general, which does seem to be more common.

I didn't bother with crafting the snow weapons.

I do agree with you about both expansions feeling disjointed. Part of it was that I was really intensely focused on Morrowind, to the point it was difficult for me to think or talk about anything else at the time (and I must have really annoyed my housemates). I can still get lost in playing it but it competes with other things of equal interest. I liked Bloodmoon over Tribunal for being more open and feeling more distinct from Morrowind itself, and of course for being very Nordic.

Quote:
Urk, I'm trying to think of video games with Norse stuff, and the ones that spring to mind are Heimdall and the The Lost Vikings. Which kinda proves a) my age and b) your point, I s'pose they aren't overdone in games. Blood Bowl, er, Age of Whatevers, er, LOTRO was kinda funny with its Finnish dudes, got bored with WoW before Northrend, er.

I took four characters through Northrend (the last one just before Cataclysm). I got totally obsessed with Storm Peaks three of the four times because it was full of characters based on Norse gods (well, only a couple, the rest were locked away), and I was required to get to the end of the raid instance in that zone to finish the story arc that plays out in the zone quests.

There was also Rune, if I recall correctly, but I don't recall that I enjoyed it much.

Quote:
Hang on a minute, Verdandi? Why do I know that- heh, figures. :wink:

Heh. :D

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 3:32 pm

darkstone100 wrote:
Well, as soon as my copy of game informer comes in I'll know all the hyped up details, but from what I've read from people who already got theirs it is claimed that almost everything about the game has been changed.
I'll quote the guy below

Quote:
Ok, here is my recap of the info, hope it helps. This is not all the info, however.
It doesn't sound awful, but it sounds like it's moving 500 miles in the wrong direction :roll:

However I'm not going to judge the game until it comes out. Oblivion was too meh compared to what it was meant to be. In short Bethesda was fooling around too much and ran out of time to fix the bugs in their game and removed so many things that would have made it much more interesting and believable. I wouldn't be surprised if nothing in the quote above made it into Skyrim because Bethesda makes a dumb error in the random cave quest thing that sucks up all their time before launch, leading them to just remove everything that could have possibly contributed to the problem just so they can launch it without delay.

However if they can pull off the stuff mentioned without stripping the game due to programming errors and them wanting to release the game quickly, it may not be so bad. So I'll have to wait and see it before I get excited... if I do :P

Yes I am the type above who loved Morrowind and saw Oblivion as a dumbed down piece with no real interesting plot or atmosphere.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 3:43 pm

Lace-Bane wrote:
However I'm not going to judge the game until it comes out. Oblivion was too meh compared to what it was meant to be. In short Bethesda was fooling around too much and ran out of time to fix the bugs in their game and removed so many things that would have made it much more interesting and believable. I wouldn't be surprised if nothing in the quote above made it into Skyrim because Bethesda makes a dumb error in the random cave quest thing that sucks up all their time before launch, leading them to just remove everything that could have possibly contributed to the problem just so they can launch it without delay.

Yeah - if that stuff gets into the game, I'll count myself wrong - and happy. :)

The year is still young.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 4:20 pm

Nords are boring for various reasons.

1. People often play them (plus the other humanoid races) because they make the best fighters. Being a fighter is much more straightfoward than being a thief or a mage on TES...hence tonnes of character-created Nords.
2. It's an RPG and people who play RPGs like Nordic things because they are sort of goths. Trust me, I went to university in Leeds and it was full of Viking-loving sort-of goths.
3. All their lore basically exists in the real world as Nordic mythology. I like how elven and Khajiit lore is made up. Nords are another boring humanoid race.
4. Skyrim's gonna look like Cyrodiil with more snow. You know it. If they can put in a realistic Northern Lights in there, I will be slightly impressed.

I would be much more excited if they set the next game in Elsweyr, or even Summerset Isle.

That said, from what I've heard the gameplay does sound like it will be an improvement on Oblivion and hopefully more immersive.

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 4:37 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
*best thing I ever saw Oblivion's character AI deliver was a skirmish between a hunter, some random bad guy and some deer in the woods that went on for a while; I forget the details, but remember it was amusing to watch.

Apparently, there are mods that can somewhat fix that.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyMdShdX1Ik[/youtube]

Lace-Bane wrote:
It doesn't sound awful, but it sounds like it's moving 500 miles in the wrong direction :roll:

QFT