Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 10:44 pm

Anyone else getting this game when it comes out in December?

I played the beta and its awesome. Like any other MMO, but a nice change of scenery.

I will post the shard I will be playing on if anyones interested.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 6:35 am

Still have both KotOR 1 and 2. Since this one is MMO and I have no internet on my computer, is an internet connection a requirement to play this game or can it be played offline (Single Player Mode)? Is there enough offline that's worth the cash?

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 7:48 am

No, this one is strictly internet multiplayer only.

I played KotOR back in the day too. It was a great game.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 4:56 pm

Ah okay. I'll give this a miss then.
Yeah, I liked Jedi Knight 2 and 3 more so than KotOR since JK Series was not all about dialog. That and I hated that mode in both KotOR games where your the turret and getting an arsenal of fighters on you, not that the pilots in the games under attack mind much. At least make it realistic by either controlling the ship or the ship moving to evade assaults or fighter waves.

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 11:01 pm

In this game they will also have ships with which you can fight in space with, and each class has their own type. You will be missing out heh. I dont know how you manage without internet :P

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 2:54 pm

Well, I won't be playing this. I used a code from Penny Arcade to sign up for beta testing, then got selected for a testing weekend. So I downloaded the client, and tried to install it. Apparently, my processor doesn't have enough cores to run their software, and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for a system upgrade just to play a stupid game.

Basagu
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2011, 5:07 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
Well, I won't be playing this. I used a code from Penny Arcade to sign up for beta testing, then got selected for a testing weekend. So I downloaded the client, and tried to install it. Apparently, my processor doesn't have enough cores to run their software, and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for a system upgrade just to play a stupid game.

"stupid" game? Its SWTOR, Come on! :D

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 11:25 pm

SWTOR is BORING. There is my opinion. kkthxbye

kraelik
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2011, 5:00 am

I had a great time beta testing it. I even pre-ordered it back in June.

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 11:34 pm

The only issue I have with it so far is that its buggy and I dont think it will fixed by release. Typical EA made game. I think i might still get it though, need to buy some time until GW2 is out.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 12:15 pm

All I see its that it is the same old SWG:NGE with updated graphics, more console-like play... and more bugs.

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 2:11 pm

Dantac wrote:
All I see its that it is the same old SWG:NGE with updated graphics, more console-like play... and more bugs.

Just no Open Sandbox Mode

VincentVanJones
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Nov 2011, 3:18 pm

I was not impressed by beta videos at all...

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 12:26 am

Well the things I like about it, other than the bugs and similarity to other MMOs (I never played the older SW MMO), are:

- Good story, voice acting and immersion
- The ability to make roleplay decisions in quests, which result in different outcomes for the story and your character, and the ability to make dark and light side decisions
- The different classes are fun to play and are different from other mmos

DURGA108
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Nov 2011, 4:03 pm

I beta tested this game as well, I will be playing it also.

I was disappointed in the lack of races, and graphics seem a little dated to me. I think they did this to try and get as many people playing as possible.

It has been a long time since a mmo quest has engaged me. SO i think the stories are pretty good in the game. Seems like a fun game at least for a while.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 7:27 pm

I also got a chance to beta test SWTOR, taking most classes to level 10, and a couple past 30 (out of 50).

My thoughts:

Positives

To avoid unbalanced queueing, they've introduced a PvP Warzone - think battlegrounds in WoW - where same-faction groups are pitted against each other.

An innovative "Powering Up" system that boosts the stats of lower level players in Warzones. It sounds daft, but this worked quite well.

The core gameplay and mechanics are solid, if buggy, but far more polished than any other MMO I've "beta'd" (N.B. quite a few).

An initially confusing crafting system that actually turns out to be quite intuitive and functional.

Levelling up seems paced quite nicely.

The game will launch with PvE raids in place.

Negatives

An over-emphasis (and overspend imo) on the voice acting and storytelling aspect of the game. In my view, you write your own 'story' in an MMO through your actions and experiences, alone or with friends/guildies/random pugs.

Very little information about life at max level.

A strong presence of fanboys and trolls on the community forums.

And the rest?

To be fair to the game, everything else is average fare for an MMO. What will make or break SWTOR is how quickly they add new content and address issues with future patches, as well as how they handle their customers (always a concern when EA are involved).

Oh, and it plays almost exactly like WoW, except with a Star Wars skin. It's up to the individual whether this is a good or bad thing. Whilst I liked that, for example, my Sage played almost exactly like a WoW priest - similar talents and spells but with a different name - I was hoping for something a little more. If you're going to make a WoW clone, you should probably make more effort to improve upon the original.

I'll likely give it a whirl for a couple of months.