Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 1:09 pm

I know that Skyrim has recently come out and a lot of people are playing it and talking about it on the internet, but what about Oblivion? My friend is giving me his copy for the PS3 since I'm getting a new PS3 system for X-mas.

I know fans don't like this game as much as Morrowind but speaking as somebody who's never even heard of The Elder Scrolls games until Oblivion came out I found it to be a very enjoyable game on my 360. Sure it was a generic fantasy setting but it was awesome how it allowed you to create any kind of character you want and explore a vast open world. It also had a lot of fun features I enjoyed that most RPGs don't such as brewing potions from raw ingredients and getting to buy houses for your character to live in. I know Skyrim is probably an enhanced version of Oblivion but for now I'm going to be enjoying playing Oblivion all over again on my PS3. :)

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 1:32 pm

GreySun369 wrote:
I know that Skyrim has recently come out and a lot of people are playing it and talking about it on the internet, but what about Oblivion? My friend is giving me his copy for the PS3 since I'm getting a new PS3 system for X-mas.

I know fans don't like this game as much as Morrowind but speaking as somebody who's never even heard of The Elder Scrolls games until Oblivion came out I found it to be a very enjoyable game on my 360. Sure it was a generic fantasy setting but it was awesome how it allowed you to create any kind of character you want and explore a vast open world. It also had a lot of fun features I enjoyed that most RPGs don't such as brewing potions from raw ingredients and getting to buy houses for your character to live in. I know Skyrim is probably an enhanced version of Oblivion but for now I'm going to be enjoying playing Oblivion all over again on my PS3. :)

I never even finished Oblivion. When it first came out, I didn't give it a second look. But, when news about Skyrim started coming out, it looked awesome, so I decided to give Oblivion a go. I enjoyed it a lot, even though the graphics were hard to stomach sometimes, but Skyrim came out before I finished Oblivion, so now I'm playing Skyrim. I got it on release day and I'm still happily playing it. It's amazing.

Morbid Malign's askblog: http://askmorbidmalign.tumblr.com/

Rax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Dec 2011, 4:32 pm

I gave a copy to my friend connor, he is still playing it

Thirteenth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2011, 5:03 pm

I wish. My copy broke a long time ago (has a stress crack in it, played the game way too much). As much as Skyrim rules, there are still things I miss about Oblivion, especially that one quest in Bravil that's a nod to "The Most Dangerous Game". Oh, and I miss running around Imperial City. So much more epic than any town in Skyrim.

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

10 Dec 2011, 7:11 pm

Yeah, Oblivion still has good spots to explore. It's still worth playing.

On the topic of Skyrim the previous Elder Scrolls games, it looks like you'll be able to visit Morrowind and at least, the Imperial City in the DLCs.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 7:57 pm

i started playing oblivion, and will probably get back to it once i am to a point where i can slow down on skyrim. only only issue is the ugly character models in oblivion.

but yeah till skyrim came out i was having fun modding oblivion and running around on the vast open world, whether on horseback or on foot. i find the story hard to get into though because i started with oblivion and have no clue what happened prior to oblivion.

so i take the game at face value, a free roaming rpg. doesn't mean i don't enjoy it i just often go through the game thinking O_o when i hear some parts of the story, if only because i have no clue what they are getting at.

the breaks of jumping into a game halfway through. :P

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2011, 10:49 pm

I've been playing oblivion on and off since skyrim was announced, I played through the game again and enjoyed the novelty of it. although most of the time was spent staring wistfully over the northern border...

DoubleSPY
Raven
Raven

10 Dec 2011, 11:04 pm

I still play Oblivion too, I don't have skyrim yet and I missed playing it. Right now I've got a lv.7 khajiit assassin, and a lv.3 two-handed fighting orc. I have beaten the game before, and I really want to get skyrim I saw how the gameplay on youtube and I was quite in awe at the graphics, combat, and race and armor models.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2011, 12:53 am

So I see people still play Oblivion. :)

One of my favorite things about Oblivion is getting to just explore every bit of land. I can let my character get lost in the wilderness of Cyrodill and find all kinds of cool animals and beautiful flowers growing around. I also love getting to buy a house for my character, my favorite is the haunted house in Anvil with the secret chamber.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2011, 1:22 am

i kinda got screwed when i started playing it, when i got the game i was already hearing about skyrim, i had wanted to see what the series was all about, watched videos on youtube and all that. i wasn't sure if my pc could run it, but i think i saw a video on youtube that made me want to try the same thing in the game.

so i bought and a few months later skyrim was released, and after i watched a trailer of skyrim it was hard to ignore, besides i love dragons. but i know oblivion is still there when i want to at least finish the story, i guess this is what happens when i have complete freedom in a game i play it for months without finishing it.

47x
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Dec 2011, 5:43 am

I started playing Oblivion maybe 4 months before Skyrim was released. Oblivion was a big surprise to me, I never played any game like that before and was amazed. I felt a bit like a fraud though, when I only had to wait for Skyrim for a few weeks. Anyway, Oblivion had some pretty good quests which I loved, but let's face it. There were no dragons :)

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2011, 7:41 am

One the interesting things was that I did not get around to beating the main storyline until a few days before Skyrim came out, so I had the entire thing fresh in my mind.

I have not really played it since I got Skyrim, but I probably will, I found that the character creation was not as vast in Skyrim, two of the characters I wanted to create had really red hair (Skyrim's doesn't go beyond brown with a slight red tinge) and having pink hair, I wanted to create a Natsu Dragneel since he is suposed to be a dragon slayer. But lack of custom hair color, removal of hand to hand makes it kind if hard to role play what would otherwise be the perfect chance.

What ever while writing this I put on Oblivion and started editing for prefered character, they might not look entirely like a person, but I can at least have the hair color I like, and even have the skin as pale as I want, only if I could make the eyes black like one of the other characters I want to create.

nikki191
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Dec 2011, 8:06 am

47x wrote:
I started playing Oblivion maybe 4 months before Skyrim was released. Oblivion was a big surprise to me, I never played any game like that before and was amazed. I felt a bit like a fraud though, when I only had to wait for Skyrim for a few weeks. Anyway, Oblivion had some pretty good quests which I loved, but let's face it. There were no dragons :)

There is one dragon in Oblivion :D

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2011, 2:00 pm

nikki191 wrote:
47x wrote:

There is one dragon in Oblivion :D

And Peryite. :)

And no, I don't still play Oblivion. Never finished the Shivering Isles, even though I liked that bit. It's kinda prone to crashing on my machine though (like, even more than Skyrim and Fallout 3 / FNV ^^) and I don't like the levelling system, takes the fun out of it at high levels.

Same goes for Morrowind. I miss the levitation spells, the setting (frickin' giant crab, bonemold, corprus, the Telvanni) and the clothing - there were more layers to paper-doll with, and I'm all about the paper-dolling - but it's all just a bit too primitive to enjoy now.

Same goes for Daggerfall. Much as I miss the constant "halt! halt! halt!" of angry guardsmen, the delightfully spry "shop" music and the genuine feeling, absent from all the later games, that you were looking at a believably sized world with a real (if cardboard) population, and the unique (if frustrating) dungeons, it's just too much hassle getting out of that stupid starting level. :lol:

The year is still young.

catechu
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Dec 2011, 7:02 pm

I still play Oblivion! My favorite character in the game is Thoronir, in the Imperial City. He liked me so much once I finished his quest that I named a charm spell after him – "Love Me Like Thoronir Does." I often wish I could use it IRL.

Skeith
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2011, 1:21 am

oblivion and morrowind are some of the best games i have ever played. :) i loved the amount of guilds you could be a part of in morrowind and ithe amount of quests and creatures you could face and the alchemy ingrediants you could harvest ect ect. and in oblivion i loved the better details the many small little easter eggs and gliches that are easy to exploit and the better graphics and look and feel of the battles just makes it a great game. :D
i do have to say that both games have only one fault each. morrowinds sword strikes quite frankly look stupid and in the begining its like mud crabs are mini bosses in their difficulty to even hit let alone do damage.
as for oblivion its just short in comparison. oblivion had something like 80000 individual set dungeons and side quests where oblivion only really took me a week to master every weapon and every guild in the game with the shivering isle and knights of the nine quests.