Page 5 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Cei
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Sep 2012, 1:19 am

charlulz wrote:
I honestly feel like a lot of the first gen pokemon were very basic and unoriginal. Don't get me wrong, the first gen is the best of the 5 gens but I love that gen 5 got creative with the new pokemon.

Yes. This, totally. Seriously, Koffing, Mr. Mime, Jynx, and Ditto are not that amazing. People just look at the few cool ones and forget the downsides of gen 1.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 4:19 am

Strange... as I don't really think I like as many Gen 4 or 5 Pokemon as much as Gen 1-3.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 6:41 am

Cei wrote:
charlulz wrote:
I honestly feel like a lot of the first gen pokemon were very basic and unoriginal. Don't get me wrong, the first gen is the best of the 5 gens but I love that gen 5 got creative with the new pokemon.

Yes. This, totally. Seriously, Koffing, Mr. Mime, Jynx, and Ditto are not that amazing. People just look at the few cool ones and forget the downsides of gen 1.

Actually Koffing and Jynx are amazing. Those are definitely among my favorites for gen 1. I guess it all boils down to personal taste, I just made an example of Muk because its always been silly to use the argument "wahhh this 'mon is just this inanimate object or animal, they're running out of ideas!!"

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 8:25 am

NeueZiel wrote:

Oh look its a giant pile of sh**. You just know when they're trying too hard.

:P

If Ekans is Snake backwards and Arbok is Kobra backwards, then what is Muk backwards and what did the designers have in mind? :?

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2012, 7:10 pm

You think Muk is bad? Look at this xD:

It is a GERM/CELL. It looks like gelatin.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 7:31 pm

When Pokemon first came out when I was a kid it was pretty much all I did. Caught all 150 mostly legit (Missingno.'ed rare candies of course), and when Pokemon Stadium got announced I spent months studying before the release catching various pokemon and formulating teams and what have you. My parents actually had to pull me out of school and homeschool me for a couple years because pokemon had taken priority over things like homework.

I kind of had a falling out around Gen IV. I got excited for it and played it to completion but didn't really feel it. After that I got more into other monster games (Dragon Quest Monsters, Azure Dreams and what have you) and by the time BW came out I just wasn't excited about it at all.

Recently though I've gotten back into it in a big way. I played all the way through HeartGold and am about halfway through Black version. Playing through Black is interesting because I have absolutely no context for what these new monsters are, which makes things somewhat more challenging and interesting.

I generally only play the main quest, never got into the competitive scene. I just don't have the time or patience to breed 8 Houndours and find the one with the perfect combination of egg moves and natures and whathaveyou and then spend 100 hours EV training. But I can certainly appreciate people who do.

The Squirtle family are probably my favorites. (not including the noncanon Missingno.) I like water types/starters in general really (though I hate Mudkip).

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 8:02 pm

Epsilon wrote:

What do you expect unicellular life forms to look like?

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2012, 9:40 pm

Tollorin wrote:
Epsilon wrote:

I'm just saying that most of hte Pokemon have been some kind of animal. I know what unicellular beings look like; I am just suggesting that they are running out of ideas for animals.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 9:48 pm

Like those magnet pokemon, they were totally running out of ideas.

Yes that is sarcasm and I apologise, I get annoyed at people acting like things are so much worse then the older ones. I think it looks intersting, wouldn't it much stranger to have a monster that just hapened to evolve to carry spoons around.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 10:06 pm

The only thing that bothers me about the post Gen II monster designs is that some of them became rather excessively busy and/or colorful. There was definitely a lot more simplicity to Gen I and II, largely because they weren't working with any colors at all, just various shades of grey. Gen III stripped them of those limitations and they got a lot more creative, for better and for worse.

Every gen has good designs, bad designs, and stupidly uninspired ones. Just be thankful we haven't gotten a chair with eyeballs yet.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 10:15 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
Like those magnet pokemon, they were totally running out of ideas.

Yes that is sarcasm and I apologise, I get annoyed at people acting like things are so much worse then the older ones. I think it looks intersting, wouldn't it much stranger to have a monster that just hapened to evolve to carry spoons around.

There are a couple of remarkably bad ones though. Like that ice cream scoop pokemon or whatever.

Plus magnatron is universally well-liked anyway.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 3:39 am

Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:
charlulz wrote:

I actually agree, Gen 1 was very basic in just about everything. People just rose tinted glasses on it because it was the first generation.

In my opinion Gen 3 had the best villians that you encounter.
YES! The villains were AMAZING!! ! Though I always sympathized with Team Aqua more then Team Magma, but like playing Sapphire a bit more then Ruby XD The plot was awesome :)

I liked Gen 4, but for some reason it felt like there weren't as many new pokemon, and too many Zubats mocking me (and yes, I got to Victory Road, where I almost always end my game XD I haaaaate Victory Road, the only one I've done is Ruby/Sapphire and I think Firered? So I know there ARE some of the other pokemon, just not as many as I would like).
I like Gen 5 for the pokemon, ironically enough, and I bonded with them more with the TCG game, which is Black/White predominant right now if you're playing tournament legal decks (Which I ALWAYS do, because I like following rules XD). I didn't like the graphics though, it just felt like they were showing off too much, and the weird distance thing really messed up the people and I dunno, it just felt like parts were kinda gimmicky.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 9:40 am

ebec11 wrote:
Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:
charlulz wrote:

I actually agree, Gen 1 was very basic in just about everything. People just rose tinted glasses on it because it was the first generation.

In my opinion Gen 3 had the best villians that you encounter.
YES! The villains were AMAZING!! ! Though I always sympathized with Team Aqua more then Team Magma, but like playing Sapphire a bit more then Ruby XD The plot was awesome :)

I liked Gen 4, but for some reason it felt like there weren't as many new pokemon, and too many Zubats mocking me (and yes, I got to Victory Road, where I almost always end my game XD I haaaaate Victory Road, the only one I've done is Ruby/Sapphire and I think Firered? So I know there ARE some of the other pokemon, just not as many as I would like).
I like Gen 5 for the pokemon, ironically enough, and I bonded with them more with the TCG game, which is Black/White predominant right now if you're playing tournament legal decks (Which I ALWAYS do, because I like following rules XD). I didn't like the graphics though, it just felt like they were showing off too much, and the weird distance thing really messed up the people and I dunno, it just felt like parts were kinda gimmicky.

I liked Team Aqua too, but for different reasons. First, I had Sapphire instead of Ruby, and I liked Team Aqua's uniforms better than Team Magma's. :) Gen 4 is actually my favorite generation. Despite the fact I found Team Galatic's story rather bland. I remember my team getting all the way to the Champion, and I forgot to heal before I entered. :x
As for the fifth generation I don't mind the graphics as much, or the pokemon. At first pokemon like Trubbish made wonder what they were thinking. Team Plasma's story was actually pretty good, but the fact that they wanted to " liberate " pokemon yet using the same tactics as others seemed stranged to me. :?

charlulz
Raven
Raven

11 Sep 2012, 11:45 am

NeueZiel wrote:
Cei wrote:
charlulz wrote:

Actually Koffing and Jynx are amazing. Those are definitely among my favorites for gen 1. I guess it all boils down to personal taste, I just made an example of Muk because its always been silly to use the argument "wahhh this 'mon is just this inanimate object or animal, they're running out of ideas!!"

Exactly! I have favorites from all 5 generations. I even enjoy some of the unoriginal pokemon. Heck, seel is one of my favorite pokemon XD.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 12:44 pm

charlulz wrote:
NeueZiel wrote:
Cei wrote:
charlulz wrote:

Exactly! I have favorites from all 5 generations. I even enjoy some of the unoriginal pokemon. Heck, seel is one of my favorite pokemon XD.

I think Dewgong is precious and always wanted to cuddle one :oops:

Epsilon wrote:
Tollorin wrote:
Epsilon wrote:

I'm just saying that most of hte Pokemon have been some kind of animal. I know what unicellular beings look like; I am just suggesting that they are running out of ideas for animals.

There's plenty of stuff from various mythologies and mother nature that haven't been used yet. The sky is the limit, really. The only thing I'm really getting tired of is the legendary spam. Sometimes they are really cool but it seems like they are giant generic god-dragons anymore.

EnigmaticPhilosophy
Raven
Raven

12 Sep 2012, 6:09 am

I'm almost done with Platinum, and about to move on to Gen-5 soon. There's two things I really like about the series: first, the incorporation of cultural/philosophical/spiritual/mythical elements into the storylines since Gen-2, which have become increasingly profound with each installment.
The other thing I love about the series is the strategic/tactical value of the battle system. Sure, it's still unbalanced (lolstealthrock) but there's still so much depth to the system that it really forces you to consider every possibility. You can't just bumrush anymore, not unless you purposely plan out your strategy that way... a lesson which I learned the hard way back in Gen-3.
Fighting against Norman was a major wakeup call, telling me that Pokemon's game design was evolving, and I had to either catch up or get left in the dust...