Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2012, 6:46 pm

Hey all, I have a favor to ask. I heard this crazy rumor on Facebook, from a source that has been both reliable and unreliable in the past, that Shigeru Miyamoto was in a car accident and died. I've already checked on the main news portals as well as speciality sites such as ANN (Anime News Network) and Wired and there has been no mention of it as of yet. The link on FB mentioned it as "breaking news", so it's possible the media hasn't gotten wind of the details yet, but still, we're talking about the guy who practically built Nintendo from the ground up and is the genius mind behind Mario, Zelda, and a laundry list of highly successful Nintendo franchises. He's famous... too famous to suddenly keel over without the media jumping on the story like wolves to the slaughter (pardon the pun).

Can you all keep an eye on your RSS feeds and news outlets, and link to any articles that either confirm or disprove this account?

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2012, 6:52 pm

There was also a rumor that he got killed when they had the tsunami in Japan, but it turned out to be false. Hopefully this rumor is false too.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2012, 7:00 pm

Roxas_XIII wrote:
Hey all, I have a favor to ask. I heard this crazy rumor on Facebook, from a source that has been both reliable and unreliable in the past, that Shigeru Miyamoto was in a car accident and died.

It's probably a joke because it happened to the creator of the Nintendo Gameboy and the "Metroid" series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpei_Yokoi

Last edited by Venger on 09 Sep 2012, 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2012, 7:03 pm

Venger wrote:
Roxas_XIII wrote:
Hey all, I have a favor to ask. I heard this crazy rumor on Facebook, from a source that has been both reliable and unreliable in the past, that Shigeru Miyamoto was in a car accident and died.

It's probably a joke because it happened to the creator of the Nintendo Gameboy and the "Metroid" series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpei_Yokoi

But Gunpei Yokoi actually did die in a car accident.

Last edited by Mike1 on 09 Sep 2012, 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2012, 7:04 pm

That's why somebody made a prank about it also happening to Shigeru Miyamoto.

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2012, 7:18 pm

It'd by ironic if Shigeru Miyamoto died in a car accident like his former supervisor. Hopefully the rumor is false, and it probably is. It'd be terrible if Miyamoto died and was unable to produce any more video games. I wonder who's going to take his place after he retires for Nintendo. He's 59 years old now. The retirement age is 60 in Japan. Hopefully Nintendo's games still hold the same quality after Miyamoto is gone.

DiscardedWhisper
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2012, 7:30 pm

Yokoi had more talent than Miyamoto, IMO.

Anyway, I think we'd be hearing more about this if it were true. Nintendo fanboys treat him like he's bigger than Jesus.

/rimshot

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2012, 7:44 pm

I heard Miyamoto doesn't drive but rides his bike around Japan so I'm calling LIE. Would be sad though. :-)

Lyriel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Sep 2012, 7:57 pm

Was the link you saw from either mediafetcher.com or swellserver.com? If so, it's fake. Those sites are infamous for being used to create death hoaxes.

charlulz
Raven
Raven

09 Sep 2012, 8:04 pm

I would be completely emotionally crushed if this turns out to be true. I really do hope It's just a rumor.

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

09 Sep 2012, 8:18 pm

I heard this rumor at school and quite a few people seemed to believe it. His death isn't listed on wikipedia, but that's probably not saying much.