Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Wanderingronin42
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Sep 2012, 4:19 pm

I am a big fan of MMOPRGs and RPGs. The one kind of game I wish they would make is one based on the Dune books, because I think that would be as interesting as Knights of the Old Republic.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 8:46 pm

Ever play any of the RTS games? They are highly derivitive of COmmand and COnquer but are still decent.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

Wanderingronin42

26 Sep 2012, 9:12 pm

I played Dune 2000, and but never the sequal. I love the command and conquer games are great, I havent found a RTS that held my attention like that one. What is starcraft like? I

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 9:16 pm

I grew up on DUNE 2000 and later converted to Command and COnquer...better game series overall. Starcraft is a good tactical RTS, but something about the way they set up the resources bugged me. In that regard it is very similar to Civilization...universal currency/resources are preferred to me.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 10:44 pm

Dune 2000 was cool and all, but for the REAL experience - you will LOVE the original. It's just "Dune" and if you can find the CD-ROM version, it's great. The AdLib/SoundBlaster music from it was also surprisingly good (better than the MT-32 in many respects - and that's hard to do!)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB_KNipYXxU[/youtube]

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 10:47 pm

Haha I remember playing that. It took me 3 retries to get it right. I own all the dune games xD (and books). There are fans out there making dune rts conversions for C&C and other games.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 10:58 pm

The nice thing about the original Dune is that it was NOT a Command & Conquer clone like Dune 2/2000 was.

(Actually - Dune2 came first and STARTED the RTS genre!)

Wanderingronin42

27 Sep 2012, 10:00 am

I never knew that. I think it is time for another game given the success with the reboot of Fallout.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 2:49 pm

BlueMax wrote:
The nice thing about the original Dune is that it was NOT a Command & Conquer clone like Dune 2/2000 was.

(Actually - Dune2 came first and STARTED the RTS genre!)

Wrong; it was the first one with an economy system (ie. credits) One of the first RTS games though...the ones made earlier were downright primitive.

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 9:50 pm

Yeah they should make a new one, with some of the original music, the sand worms were cool.

Last edited by Vomelche on 28 Sep 2012, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 9:51 pm

Vomelche wrote:
Yeah they should make a new one, with some of the original music, the sand worms were coop.

Sand worms should have been in C&C: Tiberian Sun I think. That would've been interesting...

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 1:33 pm

Yes, Dune2 was a fantastic game, way ahead of its time. Really spawned the whole RTS genre - its influence is very apparent in the original Command and Conquer. But the game itself was a bit derivative of the Dune novels - the Atreides and Harkonens were there, but there was also a 3rd house whose name I cannot remember and who was not mentioned in the book. Each house had a speciality - The Atreides had sonic weapons (even though in the book only the Bene Gesserit could use Voice) and the Harkonens had some extra tanks. But like C&C you had to harvest (spice, not tiberium), create structures and defenses, build vehicles etc. The only thing that detracted from the game, really, was that the AI was incredibly predictable - it always attacked the same spots so instead of needing to defend your whole base, you could pretty much just concentrate all your defenses where it always attacked.

By any measure, Starcraft (and Starcraft 2) are far better games than Dune 2, and I'd highly recommend both.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 5:39 pm

ScrewyWabbit, you are thinking of the Ordos. "The spice must flow..."

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 6:05 pm

SanityTheorist wrote:

Quite right. I remember now those were the green guys and their specialty was they could use some sort of gas to subvert the other player's units and take control of them, or something like that I think. Quite a long time since I've played Dune 2!

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 6:36 pm

ScrewyWabbit wrote:
SanityTheorist wrote:

Quite right. I remember now those were the green guys and their specialty was they could use some sort of gas to subvert the other player's units and take control of them, or something like that I think. Quite a long time since I've played Dune 2!

Was always fun using that on devastators and making them self destruct...