Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DialAForAwesome
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 9:28 am

Gameplay.

Story doesn't matter to me since in my opinion, most games have cruddy stories anyway. And a game from last gen can still look really good even compared to a lot of the new stuff (see: Okami)

Like eelektrik said, if the gameplay is as fun as pounding nails through your dick, the story or how a game looks shouldn't matter.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 10:48 am

^^^ I understand your point, but it really depends...

Look at The Walking Dead game... what gameplay there is, is very limitied. The graphics are fairly simple and comic bookish.

However, for most people the story is very powerful and moving--so much so, that this game just won V.G.A. game of the year!

As much as I loved that game, I would have never guessed it could get GOTY. Obviously, story matters to a lot of people.

roccoslife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Dec 2012, 11:21 am

Story is important but if it doesnt make me go "wow thats pretty" at least once then i tend to lose interest pretty quick.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 107 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 11:35 am

Overall I'd take story over graphics any day. The only games that I've been impressed by that had even remotely realistic graphics were Starfox Adventures and Red Dead Redemption. Halo 4 would have been better if it were not shouting "Hey lookit me I'm a fancy new lighting engine" around every corner. On the other hand, I do tend to enjoy more unique or artsy styles more, like those seen in Okami, Wind Waker, Skyward Sword, Killer7, etc. Still, I don't think I'd like those games as much if it were not for the story.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 4:36 pm

A really solid game could be played even if the characters and environments were replaced with ASCII characters or generic blocks. Graphics and story only serve to provide additional context. I'd give story slightly higher priority however, if only in the sense that text can do a lot more to fill in the imagination.

DialAForAwesome
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 5:39 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
^^^ I understand your point, but it really depends...

Look at The Walking Dead game... what gameplay there is, is very limitied. The graphics are fairly simple and comic bookish.

However, for most people the story is very powerful and moving--so much so, that this game just won V.G.A. game of the year!

As much as I loved that game, I would have never guessed it could get GOTY. Obviously, story matters to a lot of people.

Different strokes, I guess. I wasn't a fan of the Walking Dead games mainly because there was almost no gameplay. Then again I mostly grew up playing arcade games, and never understood the hype behind the newer gamers saying that games that don't have a story these days or have a bad story suck instantly, regardless of what else they may bring to the table.

Companion
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Feb 2013, 12:00 am

Absolutely story. For example, sims 3 is awesome and has great graphics, but for RPG's the Spiderweb Software games are massively better.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 10:47 am

Gameplay and replayability I like games like mount and blade warband and gran tursimo 3 for this reason even though they don't have good graphics by todays standard or much of a story.

Arkio
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 10:49 pm

Graphics all the way.

BlueBean
Raven
Raven

06 Feb 2013, 3:24 am

DialAForAwesome wrote:
Gameplay.

Story doesn't matter to me since in my opinion, most games have cruddy stories anyway. And a game from last gen can still look really good even compared to a lot of the new stuff (see: Okami)

Like eelektrik said, if the gameplay is as fun as pounding nails through your dick, the story or how a game looks shouldn't matter.

Basically, this. Story is passive content and graphics are just aesthetics. Gaming is about actually playing... there are many games that I would say had good stories and bad gameplay (i.e. you tolerate the playing parts to progress the story) which means they are good 'stories' but weak 'games'. Graphics are basically irrelevant to me -- sometimes a flashy-yet-dumb game can be fun for a little while, though.