Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Hoggy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Apr 2013, 9:36 pm

Any body else out there who love the total war games?

Rome Total War 2 will be coming out at the end of the year, looks amazing from gameplay footage and the number of factions/units that will be in this one.

Medieval 2 is my fav if you any of you have played it have you tried any of the mods? theres that many i can never try them all, ive probably missed a gem.

If anyones reading this thinking what on earth am a talking have a look on youtube and whatnot might not be your cup of tea but if your a fan or RTS then you will probably like it.

Troy_Guther
Toucan
Toucan

01 Apr 2013, 10:12 pm

I too also love the Total War series. I've played all of them, in the order they were released, and I can say that I've enjoyed each new installment more than the previous one, which is strange for video games. Obviously, Shogun 2 is my current favorite, although I would imagine that Rome 2 will take over that spot soon. Unfortunately, I doubt my computer I have will be able to run it all that well, which is definitely disappointing.

Regardless, it is certainly nice to see other people really enjoy these games. Most people I know generally don't have too high an opinion of it.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Apr 2013, 11:25 pm

I'm a big fan of Shogun 2, though I've still yet to actually beat it. I haven't attempted a serious RotS/FotS campaign.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 7:04 am

TBH I'd really given up on the total war series after the abysmal failure that was Empire. Even with mods its just a fundamentally broken game with poor pathfinding, AI and clone armies. I skipped napoleon till it was going cheap on a steam sale. Nice improvements that were half way to Shogun but the campaign map was reduced in scale down to Europe making the naval side of the game nearly pointless.

They have done a terrific job with Shogun 2 and its two add on campaigns though. Even out of the box the AI can give you a run for your money, even if you disable the realm divide event.

Rome 2 I'm somewhat reserved about. It seems when they make significant changes to the game (i.e. jump from Medieval Total war to original Rome or Medieval 2 to Empire) it takes them about 2-3 games afterwards to actually make those features work properly or come to fruition.

So I'm not as excited as I could be really. CA have too much of a tainted track records for my liking.

Looking forward to the return of flaming pigs, swarms of war dogs and Picts chucking decapitated heads everywhere again though if CA are going to be doing the whole a-historical route again. I see they have their factions already going for a mono-coloured theme already. Red for Rome, Green for Gaul etc

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 12:46 pm

I have both Rome and Medieval for years.

I still have yet to finish either game.

Rome, I need one more provence and then to attack Rome itself. I worked hard for a long time, but at some point I just stopped and lost interest for now reason. I think I burned out. However, I still have my game saved and in the back of my mind have full intentions of finishing.

Medieval is much further behind than Rome. I started my first game as England. Made progress, but again, I think I stopped due to burn out. I do plan on finishing.

I love the tactical combat in both games. That is fun. I also enjoy building up my cities and maintaining my empire.

Hoggy

04 Apr 2013, 8:20 pm

Ive played them all as well, not too keen on napoleon but i did enjoy empire total war with the huge map, would always come up against some huge pirate fleet had some great naval battles.

It worries me as well if i will be able to run rome 2, they said at some event that they were trying to make even average pcs be able to run it. I wonder what there definition of average is thought. I want to be able to run a game on the highest detail with large armies. Luckily i will building my own pc by then; i already have the money set aside if i dont end up blowing it on something else haha

Have any of you tried the Third Age Total war mod for Medieval 2, its the best mod for the game ive ever seen better the some of the paid for mods.
I have yet to try the mod on westeros- A song of ice and fire (A game of thrones to most people) so im hoping thats good

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 5:08 am

The specs of Rome 2 should be the same as Shogun 2 apparently

ThetaIn3D
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 4:26 pm

Excited to see a thread about this series, I love it too. I've played more of Medieval I and II than anything else; I'd like to try Rome but I've been enjoying the Medieval period so much I've never gotten around to it. I own Empire, and the grand campaign seems too short for me to do much of anything or explore the tech trees. 50 years-ish??

I've beaten both the Medieval games several times over on Medium setting. I'm a pretty dextrous player. My former roomate and good friend who introduced me to the series commented that I'm very good and building up infrastructure and fortifying on the map; my strategic skills are really solid. At that point I was rather timid about the real-time tactical part on the battle map, but lucky for me that was the part he was really good at. So I learned all his tricks, and now I'm un-freakin'-stoppable.

I used to very methodically fortify, build up, take the next province, lather, rinse, repeat. And I was good at that.
Lately though I've been experimenting with a more blitzy style of play. I just recently installed Medieval 2 on my new desktop, and I wanted to beat a fast game on the grand campaign to hurry up and unlock all the other factions (so I could play as the Byzantines and rebuild the classical Roman empire on the Medieval map). I chose to play as France this time, and gathered my armies together on the first turn and immediately attacked England, Portugal and Milan all at once. Since they start out so small, that basically crippled all 3 factions, leaving me with free run of my immediate surroundings. It also knocked England out of continental Europe, giving me one less front to worry about. Playing as the Byzantines on my laptop, I actually succeeded in completely eliminating Turkey on Medium difficulty in the early turns of the grand campaign. It left me spread pretty thin though, and I really struggled against Egypt, Hungary and Venice after that, all of whom attacked me at the same time. I eliminated Hungary and Venice and held back Egypt... just in time for the Mongols to arrive, and they refuse to be bargained with. :P I've resorted to assassinating all their generals, and reloading the game without saving first if the attempt fails. Very hard but very fun scenario.

Sometimes I take over entire regions in a single turn too. One of my favorite things to do if I'm playing a Western Europe faction is to get 6-8 well-rounded armies ready, put them on fleets, and then skip marching around all the annoying geography in the Iberian peninsula by just landing armies at every city simultaneously. My reasoning is, if I attack every town at once, there's no way that Spain, Portugal or the Moors are going to be able to defend every one of them successfully, so I'm sure to gain major ground against them even if I fail to take a city here and there. I'm good enough at the tactical battle map now that I can win battles that are stacked against me, and quite often I succeed at taking all the towns in a single turn even when it doesn't look like I will. So I just consume the whole area at once and don't have to go chasing armies or retaking anything.

That strategy also works well when I've played as Spain and needed to take the area that roughly corresponds to modern-day France. Or the British Isles. One of my Spain games turned out to be my most successful; I had a total dominion victory where I captured every single Old World province, beat the Mongols and the Timurids, then sailed to the New World and captured everything there too and eliminated all the factions. The entire map was solid yellow.

I also like wining the grand campaign as some of the smaller factions, like the Scots, Danes, Portuguese or Russians.

TL;DR - I love historical games and Medieval 2 in particular is like crack to me. I went all Aspie on it, and beat the crap out of it several times. :viking:

MDerp
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Apr 2013, 3:06 am

I still play Rome Total War with the Europa Barbarorum mod. It makes the gameplay much more interesting, plus the detail of the units and the amount of research makes this version of the game highly immersive and exciting. There is plenty of history everywhere in this modification.

Unfortunately, it will be a while before I can save up for a computer powerful enough to run any of the newer Total War games. The demo of Empire Total War nearly crashed my laptop a while back, and right now, it's all I have. I'd hate to see what would happen if I ever tried installing Shogun II or Rome II (though I am looking forward to the new release).

666hendo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 May 2013, 3:12 am

i love rome.. recently just got all settlements for the first time, i normally get bored after a while. I play it through every now and again and get really into it for like a week :D