Any Bhaldur's Gate Players? Or Dungeons and Dragons Players?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Caesar2013
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Mar 2013, 7:57 pm

I was just wondering if there were any Bhaldur's Gate palyers here. For those of you who don't know: Bhaldur's Gate is a Dungeons and Dragons RPG set in the Forgotten Realms. I personally enjoy play as a low intelligence half-orc Barbarian, however at other times I prefer palying as a refined Paladin.

So if anyone wants to discuss Bhaldur's Gate or Dungeons and Dragons, let me know, and we shall discuss it here.

(Also as a side note, I recently wrote a fanfic for Bhaldur's Gate that takes place after the Romance Epilogue with the protagonist going off against the Drow and Lolth herself, if you're interested, let me know so i can link you to it. It's fairly short, but I think it's fairly decent).

RadicalDreamers
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 9:32 pm

It's cool to see that others appreciate such games and a more classic AD&D. I have always been a major fan of Forgotten Realms, and I've also played Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 Shadows of Amn. However, I was more of a fan of Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale II. All games mentioned are great for so many reasons and have had a positive impact on me so many years ago.

SonofStorms
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Mar 2013, 9:53 pm

i love the BG games... tho i prefer the PC games over the console versions..... i use a lot of mods for BG II and i thought the romance parts of it were interesting....i have not tried the Icewind Dale games but recently i downloaded NeverWinter nights... while fun (with mods) i prefer the BG II .... oh and I loved PlaneScape Torment as well

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 12:19 am

I love the Baldur's Gate series. I recently bought and played through the recently released Enhanced Edition and had a blast. I'm apparently one of the few people who thinks that Dragon Age Origins really nailed this type of gameplay/combat mechanic, but Baldur's Gate's gameplay certainly hasn't aged badly either. I really liked the new kits and characters added in the new version. It's a shame they couldn't go back and flesh out the old characters more, since it does make the new characters stand out in the amount of extra work the developers have put in.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 5:42 am

I use BGTutu to play Baldur's Gate, Tales of The Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate 2 and Throne of Baal as a single game.

Good Fun!

khnk222
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Mar 2013, 12:31 pm

I have the Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and I'm using the Tutu modification to play it through both games together. The last time I played BG was months ago, I got to the city of Baldur's Gate and did a few quests and then got to a point were I could not finish a fight in the HQ of the Iron Throne because my party (6) was not powerful enough.

Caesar2013
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Mar 2013, 2:40 pm

Personally there are times when I role play as a VERY dim witted half-orc, but max strength, and just power my way through the game. Sarevok never knew what hit him (hint: it rhymes with... WAR HAMMER!)

Sarevok: Just wait a minute, I could defeat Gorion himself... but I couldn't beat a dimwitted orc?
Me: Me not orc.. me half-orc!

However, that's just role play and I honestly prefer playing as Paladins, considering that I like its combat bonuses.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 3:31 pm

I forgot they were remaking Baldur's Gate. I'll have to check and see what they did with it.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 10:41 am

Baldurs Gate (played 1&2) for ps2
and still have the gba one dark alliance

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 12:50 pm

Planescape: Torment and Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer have been my favorite of the D&D computer games. Never did finish BG1 and 2, and the time I tried playing Icewind Dale 2 my computer refused to play the game and it would bug out on me.

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 3:46 pm

Love, love, love the Baldur's Gate games. The Icewind Dale games were great as well, though not as in depth as the BG games -espeically 2.

BG 2 had so many interesting side quests. My memory is a fuzzy, but I do recall one side adventure where you have to clear out this ancient tmeple of shadows. That was fun!

There was another quest where you slowly figured out that somewhere in the city there is a lich buried! What a fight!! ! I had to redo that one a few times, but man was it fun. ... and part of the treasure for that one was a ring called the Ring of Gax (i think that what it was called). Well, let me tell you, with that ring and the fact that my main character was a paladin with a Holy Avenger, I was virtually unstoppable. I could send in just the pally and he could handle most fights alone. Kinda made the game to easy at that point -but I earned that ring.

There was another quest in the game where you have to assemble a multi-headed flail. Each one did a different point of damage (acid, fire, cold, etc.) and the whole weapon got more powerful. But there was a catch to using it. There was a chance at every swing that it would summon Githanki to fight you.

Sorry if I am rambling. I have some awesome memories of those games! About 4 months ago, I just finished going through Icewind 1 & 2 again and had a blast!

After reading this post, I think I might have to get outthe BG games and do them again as well! Part of the fun is trying different party make ups and characters. I have to say it is easy to win as either a paldin or cleric (since you can heal yourself), but I wonder as a bard, fighter, or specialty wizard. Any one have experience with those?

Forgotten Realms is, for me, the best D&D world. Over the last 20 years, I have set 4 campaings there as DM and if I ever ran another game, I would go there again. Just love the place!

Thanks for starting this thread, I needed something to cheer my up today and this did it!

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

26 Mar 2013, 4:14 pm

Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads. Swords for everyone!

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 4:18 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads. Swords for everyone!

Yeah!! !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I miss Minsc. I would sometimes just click on Boo a few times to hear him make his sound. Minsc is awesome.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 5:11 pm

Minsc on physics:

- No effect? I need bigger sword!

Minsc on trust:

- Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, WATCH IT! ... I'm *huge*.

Minsc on engineering:

- Squeaky wheel gets the kick!

Minsc on politics:

- Minsc will lead with blade and boot... Boo will take care of the details.

... and my absolute favourite:

Minsc on teamwork:

- There is safety in numbers... And I am two or three at least.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 Mar 2013, 4:17 am

I loved giving Lilarcor to Minsc.

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 9:25 am

Verdandi wrote:
I loved giving Lilarcor to Minsc.

I never did that! I have heard from another friend that they argue, but I think I am going to have to play again just to experience that.