Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

24 May 2013, 2:06 pm

So I have played a ton of Western Role playing games from Skyrim to The Witcher 2 to Dragon Age to Fallout. I'm looking for games that have a unique style of combat and JRPG suggestions are also welcome.

I'm currently playing Final Fantasy XIII and I love the battle system, it is unique and I do enjoy it when developers try to take on something other than the traditional battle style, I also liked the battle system in Resonance of Fate.

I'd like to play Valkyria Chronicles and Dragon's Dogma after I'm done with Final Fantasy XIII, can anyone suggest any other good role playing games?

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 5:10 pm

Ninokuni :D

TreehuggerXXL
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2013, 5:15 pm

Heard theres going to be a ps3 port of Diablo III

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2013, 6:37 pm

Ni No Kuni : Wrath of the White Witch. Best JRPG this generation.
Tales of Graces F is a whole lot of fun too. Relatively weak story and much too linear until the very end, but such an incredibly fun gameplay system.
We're seeing Tales of Xillia in august as well, which will feature a far better story line and an open world. Don't know how the gameplay will compare to Graces F though.

I used to be a huge FF fan but IMO FFXIII is a blasphemy to the series.

arnoldmcguire335
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2013, 8:34 pm

sixstring wrote:
Ni No Kuni : Wrath of the White Witch. Best JRPG this generation.
Tales of Graces F is a whole lot of fun too. Relatively weak story and much too linear until the very end, but such an incredibly fun gameplay system.
We're seeing Tales of Xillia in august as well, which will feature a far better story line and an open world. Don't know how the gameplay will compare to Graces F though.

I used to be a huge FF fan but IMO FFXIII is a blasphemy to the series.

I was going to say the same thing, but you beat me to it.

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2013, 9:05 pm

Oh and Eternal Sonata wasn't bad either, but I haven't beaten it.

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 9:38 pm

Star Ocean: The Last Hope, I keep wanting to get back to it, but my backlog is just too huge! If you have OCD or are a person who has to plat a game expect 500+ hours. Me I gave up on trophies myself as it took the fun out of the game (all games not this one specifically), but I still want to revisit it. It has a very good story, the combat is fun, and the music is so good too(I have both OST's). You can pick it up for $20 or less. If you give me your PSN I can see what games you've played and maybe recommend others. Mine is the same as my username here just so I'm not asking you to do something I won't myself.

Edit: Just to recommend some random ones: Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls (PSN only), Demon's Souls, Dark Souls (2 is coming soon), Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny, El Shaddai (very nice art direction and music), Kingdoms of Amalur, Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll.

ioniteger
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 May 2013, 7:05 am

I'd second (third, fourth?) Ni No Kuni - had so m fun with it. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are fantastic too.

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

25 May 2013, 7:17 am

joku_muko wrote:
Star Ocean: The Last Hope,
I played that one, but never finished it. I quit when they entered the abandoned space ship. There wasn't enough stuff to do on the side for me to stay interested. And the side quests required FAR too much grinding for my tastes.

25 May 2013, 7:56 am

What's wrong with FF13? Although it isn't as good as 10, It seems like a step in the right direction after 11, better combat, better levelling system that is similar to 10, good character development. I'm not that far, only at the whitewood but it's a good game so far. I haven't encountered any mini games yet but I don't mind as the only mini game I liked was Blitzball..

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 8:14 am

Fallout 3 is very good. :)

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

25 May 2013, 8:53 am

Kazuki wrote:
What's wrong with FF13? Although it isn't as good as 10, It seems like a step in the right direction after 11, better combat, better levelling system that is similar to 10, good character development. I'm not that far, only at the whitewood but it's a good game so far. I haven't encountered any mini games yet but I don't mind as the only mini game I liked was Blitzball..
The story was one big cheesy fantasy opera. Most of the characters were terrible. It took away everything that made Final Fantasy so great. Purely linear. It was cutscene, one straight path, bossfight, cutscene, repeat. Zero side quests for the majority of the game. Away from the deep turn-based battles. Basically all you had to do was switch to a different class according to the battle, and spam the X button.
The graphics were more important to Square-Enix than the gameplay.

The last good game was Final Fantasy X. FFXI was an MMORPG though.

Lenoh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 May 2013, 7:10 pm

Kazuki wrote:
I'd like to play Valkyria Chronicles and Dragon's Dogma after I'm done with Final Fantasy XIII, can anyone suggest any other good role playing games?

Final Fantasy XIII-2? :roll:

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

28 May 2013, 2:16 am

Ni No Kuni hasn't been stressed enough.

Flipinator
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 May 2013, 4:53 am

ioniteger wrote:
I'd second (third, fourth?) Ni No Kuni - had so m fun with it. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are fantastic too.

Never played Demon Souls but picked up Dark Souls on whim. Played over 300 hours and about 8 play throughs over two character classes.

Amazing game, would highly recommend.

Very excited by the impending release of Dark Souls 2!

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 12:29 am

Tales of Graces is pretty decent.