Do you think Chrono Cross might be the most poetic game?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 8:29 am

With random people saying things like "how each day lasted an eternity, filled with newness, fun and excitement...", "everything that has form must eventually fade away", "maybe I have just been drifting along, trapped in the ebb and flow of the ocean's tides", "something happened that put your very soul teetering on the balancing scales of fate", "our spent yesterdays, and an uncertain tomorrow... how we live a meaningless today", and my favourite, upon speaking to some NPC guy in a colourful town surrounded by water: "one starts to wonder where the sea ends, and where I start..."

ps. the game also tells you "think about how terrible it would be if you left this world with no record of your very existence" just upon encountering the first save point. I mean, how many games are so philosophical just with saving?

transformingcar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 10:24 am

I've never really known anything about that game. what exactly is it?
Anyway it seems interesting...

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 5:36 pm

Sequel to Chrono Trigger, but much different.

vixx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jun 2013, 10:14 pm

im playing chrono trigger and i think its beautiful, but i can't speak to the poetic-ness of chrono cross

Cilantro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2013, 9:56 am

It's pretty poetic in speech and words (with a wonderful soundtrack), but from what I remember there wasn't much underneath that. I played it as a young teen, though, so maybe the more meaningful content went over my head.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 10:23 am

Well, I admit the storyline isn't its best quality, and that its prequel may have been more coherent... but, oh yes, its artistic potency, in general, is unmatched I think. Music being incredibly beautiful, as you mention... I listen to it constantly on my phone while out and about.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gumt8xfnspk[/youtube]

I got lost in all its artistic perfection to care about any failings in plot, to be honest. :P But, even still, parallel dimensions is a cool concept to deal with... and I don't think it features in many other games (Chrono Trigger, on the other hand, was more about plain time travel - still amazing how some things done in one era can completely change another (I still remember the awesomeness of planting a seed in some future desert only to go there centuries later to find a whole forest!))

Chrono Cross asks "what if...?"

8bitKnight
Raven
Raven

04 Jun 2013, 6:21 pm

I liked Chrono Trigger better, Chrono Cross had good graphics for a PSX game but that was because Square had prerendered everything on a much stronger computer, so all it had to do was display the pictures as the background. The characters still looked like crap because they had to be animated. I hated that and the gameplay was much better in chrono trigger.

Cilantro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2013, 6:49 pm

Mootoo wrote:
Well, I admit the storyline isn't its best quality, and that its prequel may have been more coherent... but, oh yes, its artistic potency, in general, is unmatched I think. Music being incredibly beautiful, as you mention... I listen to it constantly on my phone while out and about.

[video]

I got lost in all its artistic perfection to care about any failings in plot, to be honest. :P But, even still, parallel dimensions is a cool concept to deal with... and I don't think it features in many other games (Chrono Trigger, on the other hand, was more about plain time travel - still amazing how some things done in one era can completely change another (I still remember the awesomeness of planting a seed in some future desert only to go there centuries later to find a whole forest!))

Chrono Cross asks "what if...?"

Don't get me wrong, visual and musical appeal are valid aspirations for a game. It really helps draw me into the fantasy world when there's so much to look at and listen to that's unique to what I'm playing, but it tends to end with the game. I remember replaying Chrono Cross half a dozen times trying to get specific characters because I hated using guides, which was one of my favorite features at the time.

My favorite track was always Lizard Rock:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-VLsqEqE7M[/youtube]

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 7:08 pm

If you want to play a game that isn't just "poetic" but kinda actually is a poem, I recommend the puzzle game Antichamber.

Every time you solve a puzzle, you "collect" a written line which explains what you have learned from the puzzle, and how you can apply it to your life. These lines are all collected together in a single room, and eventually form a "poem" which summarises what you have learned.

Also the puzzles are quite good.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGsnm2nOnso[/youtube]