Pokemon suggestion: Starter diversity!

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Saladface
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Dec 2013, 4:16 am

What if you had more choices for starters? Imagine being asked a question with four possible answers at the beginning of the game...

"What is your skill level as a trainer? Some Pokemon are harder to partner with than others, and I need to be sure I'm not giving you more than you can handle."

-"I'm a new trainer."
-"I'm an experienced trainer."
-"I'm an expert trainer."
-"Seriously? Just let me pick!"

Option 1: You can pick from any of the eighteen starters that have been offered. (Beginner)

"Hmm. So you're a new trainer, eh? These Pokemon have helped many a trainer start their journey, and I think one might do the same for you. There might not be many types available, but they're all very different Pokemon, I assure you!"

Option 2: Eevee (Experienced)

"An Eevee would be perfect for you. Since you're an experienced trainer, I'm assuming you know how to deal with its evolution on your own... Are you sure this is the Pokemon you want to adopt?

Option 3: Pick my type. (Advanced)

"So you're a veteran trainer? We've got a wide array of Pokemon that are waiting to be adopted. I'm certain that a trainer of your skill level would be able to partner effectively with any of these Pokemon."

*There is an NPC that is willing to assist in the evolution of this Pokemon should a real-world trading partner be unavailable.

-NORMAL: Porygon*
-FIRE: Magby*
-ELECTRIC: Pichu
-WATER: Wailmer
-ICE: Snorunt
-GRASS: Oddish
-STEEL: Beldum
-DRAGON: Dratini
-GHOST: Duskull*
-FIGHTING: Tyrogue
-ROCK: Roggenrola*
-GROUND: Diglett
-POISON: Koffing
-DARK: Houndour
-FLYING: Starly
-FAIRY: Flabebe
-BUG: Venipede
-PSYCHIC: Solosis

Option 4: Let me pick. (Really advanced...?)

"The impatient type. Well, feel free to look around and find the Pokemon you wish to adopt!"

Sherry221B
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 10:23 am

That's all very nice, but the ones you choose as starter are that way because you can't catch them in the wild. The advanced one, those pokemon you can get them in the wild, and you can't get pokemon you are given as starter or those you get in an special event somewhere else.

Saladface
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Dec 2013, 1:06 am

I believe that it would depend on the game this is implemented in. Some of them may not be available in the wild. And frankly at the beginning of the majority of these Pokemon would be special.

But does it matter? The idea is that you're adopting a Pokemon for a partner, not the picking from the traditional table o' Poke Balls.

I could also argue that a veteran player would welcome this option- frankly, I've tossed around the idea of being able to pick normal Pokemon as starters for years. In an RP sense, do you think every trainer would be running around with G/F/W starters?

Sherry221B
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 6:09 am

So, it's not choosing a starter like it always has been in the games....Then, inside your options, could you choose a legendary pokemon as well, or a very strong one? Like, adopting Rayquaza?

Saladface
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Dec 2013, 7:50 am

Let's not get carried away. I chose those particular Pokemon because I feel they are appropriate representatives of their respective types. It allows more flexibility in what you begin the game with, but I think suggesting legendary Pokemon as starters is stretching it. I mean, it would be nice to get a level 1 Groudon/Kyogre or some other uber through an event- in one of my Nuzlockes I'm playing through with the Colosseum Jirachi- but not happening, man.

Sherry221B
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 8:05 am

Awww, so no legendary pokemon as starter? :( Inside of your list, I'd choose between Houndour, Duskull, Dratini, Pichu or Snorunt, maybe Magby too.
Also, about Eevee, could you adopt more than one Eevee, if you chose Evee? I say this, because Evee has a lot of evolutions. So, if you could at least get a several Eevees, better. If not, a male Eevee and a female Eeeve, so they can procreate and make more Eevees to make them eventually evolve to all of their evolutions. If not, an Eevee and a ditto could work as well.

Saladface
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Dec 2013, 8:15 am

Well, you could probably still get some of these guys in the wild depending on what's available in-game. Like I said, they aren't special, just intended to give you more options for your starter. I would also add the possibility of unique abilities- not sure about gen VI but Wailmer's abilities in gen V kinda suck.

I never imagined in my wildest dreams I would be catching wild Eevee. I was genuinely shocked when Magby popped up in B2 as a wild Pokemon...

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 8:18 am

Saladface wrote:
I believe that it would depend on the game this is implemented in. Some of them may not be available in the wild. And frankly at the beginning of the majority of these Pokemon would be special.

But does it matter? The idea is that you're adopting a Pokemon for a partner, not the picking from the traditional table o' Poke Balls.

I could also argue that a veteran player would welcome this option- frankly, I've tossed around the idea of being able to pick normal Pokemon as starters for years. In an RP sense, do you think every trainer would be running around with G/F/W starters?

I would welcome an additional level of difficulty that doesn't involve level grinding. but with how quickly a Pokemon can level up and overpower Pidgey or Bidoof I don't think it would make much of a difference in the long run.

Sherry221B
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 8:43 am

By the way, I'm not a man.

Quote:
- in one of my Nuzlockes I'm playing through with the Colosseum Jirachi- but not happening, man.

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2013, 4:00 pm

That whole idea of questions reminds me of Mystery Dungeon-is that along the same lines as what you're thinking of?

Saladface
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Dec 2013, 4:32 pm

Yes! That's it.. I guess. It directs the player to their destination in the rescue center.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 11:26 pm

I actually wouldn't mind starting with a Duskull... My Dusknoir in Pokemon: Y is now level 46.

I'm actually getting Pokemon: Ruby for Christmas, and plan on using one for my main team.

Sherry221B
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 5:38 am

Mystery Dungeon is totally different.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 3:29 pm

Sherry221B wrote:
Mystery Dungeon is totally different.

That it is: playing as a Pokemon is way different than just using one in battle.

I was an Eevee, once; didn't go too well for me... Same with Bulbasaur.

Bomir
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Dec 2013, 12:51 pm

I don't know why they can't just make a game where you're Red's grandson and you get 1 pick any non-legendary pokemon baby form as your starter from Red's collection (which has expanded to all pokemon by then). I just want to start with my Whismur and be on my merry way.

musician_enigma
Raven
Raven

19 Dec 2013, 9:51 pm

Can I also pick which region I want to start in, and then travel to the rest of them? :mrgreen:

Oh, and I'll take an Eevee please (although I would be considered a really advanced trainer). Let's go my future Jolteon. :D