Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

GinBlossoms
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2014, 12:19 am

I have an obsession going on with two or three games at once. SimCity, Rulers of Nations and NationStates. The first 2 are PC based. They are all long-term games. I have trouble with focusing on only one at a time, it's very tempting to play another. I don't mean literally at the same time, but I feel I should just focus on one long-term gameplay at a time. Does anyone have good advice for my problem?

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 4:28 am

I'm juggling around 50 games atm...many of which are RPGs, and a fair number of open world games ( GTA3, GTAVC, GTAVCS, GTASA, GTA4 and the Mercenaries games to be exact )...plus daily Animal Crossing.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 9:46 pm

I have a huge backlog, and I continue to buy any and all games that interest me, so it only gets bigger. The affliction you are describing has been dubbed "Gamer's ADD", and it is something I try to avoid, but I relapse into it often, since my current circumstance makes it very difficult for me to focus on just one game, or even two. I guess you could say it depends what I'm in the mood for at a given time. Believe me when I say you are not alone. When I rise to power, it will be recognized as a true disorder, and anyone afflicted by it will be given mandatory paid leave to get a handle on his or her backlog. 8) We will also have people working tirelessly to master cloning, because paid leave won't be enough for some, myself included. :roll:

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 11:10 pm

Yeah... I have a systematic approach with playing games. For all games I have I dedicate 1 or two hours a week into. Because I have say... 6 disc games to play, 7 download games and 4 PC games, I play the games decided between the time I have spare until the game is finished.

I have a dedicated 2PM to 5PM time-slot for Console games - 2-3PM for a download game and 3-5PM for something disc based Monday to Friday, while Saturday has an online mutiplayer only day and Sunday is dedicated to a time heavy game. Also I dedicate Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays between the times of 6PM to 11PM to PC gaming. This time is divided between two games before dedicating time to the internet at 11PM-5AM, while Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays between the time of 6PM and 9PM, dedicated to Free iPad App games, before other internet activity.

So... for example... for the time being my Thursday has involved playing...

LittleBigPlanet 2 between 2-3PM
Bioshock Infinite between 3-5PM
Final Fantasy VII between 6-9PM
Civilization V between 9-11PM

That's just one day, I had to use this sort of system to actually get progress done into games while still having loads to do around a short time and limited access, games last longer that way...

If I miss a day, I would miss playing all those games for the week, it is one reason I've reached 255 Hours in Skyrim in over the 2 yeahs I've had it and still playing it on its dedicated time slot. Often if I have no time on the games, I'm often in a panic and agitated state, pacing, often have too much energy and such... until that time slot has passed.

I have an electronic automatic reminder to make sure I am in playing games, unless there's important places I can't fit away from this.

Ah yeah, probs got a very Obsessive Compulsive personality, common with Aspergers, Tourettes and all that.

I don'y have a means to break that and I am often self-neglectful and unable to fulfill job searching duties as a result.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 7:14 am

I dont know if you can decide to do so otherwise. For me its the extreme opposite, I can only focus on one game at a time. So when I am actually playing a single player game, it disturbs me when friends come to play another game with me or so, because I cant get my thoughts loosened of the actual game I play and to focus them so suddenly on another game. So I have the planning of what I will be doing and what I am planning in my head, and then I want to do that, and nothing else. ^^ So I sit now in work, but could actually exactly tell you about my actual Civilisation map, the movement of my army and generals, my ships, development of my cities in general, that I am actually sending a working boat from my main port city, to a fish-spot.... XD

The misadvantage of it, that my partner is more of a "sudden mood"player, so when he suddenly chooses to play an mulitplayergame, he hardly gets me so suddenly to play it with him.

The benefit is, that I save actually tons of money, because of me not buying a game, until I am done with another one. So even when I am actually cheering for a tons of games to be released, I rarely by them at release date, which often makes them a lot cheaper for me. So as example two games, that I wanted to buy anyway, and were released before christmas, were now for less then -50% in winter steam sale, while I was still playing Dragon Age again. And right now its Civilisation time, which will need at least 1-2 months. ^^

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 4:13 am

i'm like Schneekugel i get sucked into a game like skyrim i don't feel like playing but once i do i'm playing for hours and never have enough time to do everything.
but i do change games day to day it depends on my mood, some days i want to play battlefield 4 multiplayer(this can become un fun quickly though) I also have add so a game has to be good to keep my attention for example skyrims loading screens are so boring i often end up watching youtube during them. lol

lately i have a hard time playing rts games which i normally love due to i can well use my imagination to imerse my self but lately i play for a hour and i just get uninterested idk why

i think if you can handle switching games then more power to you, everyone has their own style and i don't see anything wrong with switching games.

oh sometimes i get a craving for that star trek space game lol

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 10:02 am

If you don't have the money for lots of games, you play the one you have. :lol:

Honestly, I really avoid buying NEW games. I rather see what critics think of the game first...and see if I can get it used.

If your gaming budget is limited, you don't acquire titles that fast.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 1:56 am

I just play whatever I feel like playing, when I feel like playing it. The whole purpose of playing video games is to have fun, so for me, playing something even though I don't feel like it just kind of defeats the purpose. :P

darkfuji
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jan 2014, 10:05 am

You want to focus on just one game? easy then just delete steam.