Games you hate that everybody raves about

Page 11 of 12 [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2016, 12:40 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I'm gonna be honest, the main thing that turns me off of Undertale is probably its massive popularity. I can't stand it when people hype the ever loving crap out of things. I'd probably be more interested in it if it came out 10-15 years ago and people forgot about it somewhat. I still plan on playing it eventually, and who knows, I might actually enjoy it, but I'd like the zeitgeist to die down first. In the meantime, I think I'll install Xu4 and get started on Ultima IV.

That one's on you, though, not the game.

This is exactly why I simply dont listen to hype. Or even pay much attention to gaming news. I might hear about big popular games, but I dont actually go and look at what the community is saying about it; I usually just check out their store pages and possibly preview videos. It's a real shame to miss out on something you otherwise might love, simply because people talk about it alot. Which, if you think about it, is a rather nonsensical reason. It's not like the actual gameplay or content is affected by ANY of that. A hyped game would be the exact same game if it was a very niche thing instead of hyped to hell.

Heck, I had a friend do this recently with Overwatch. The whole "OMG I'm so tired of hearing about it, I'm not going to play it because everyone is so obsessed!". Someone ELSE I know made him play it anyway. 2 days later he had a copy of his own and has been playing it pretty constantly, which is pretty much what I figured would happen. Loves it, but would have missed out if the hype had completely gotten him to never touch it.

Really, it's best to just ignore all that crap. People get hyped for basically anything shiny these days. It could be a great game, it could be bloody awful, it almost seems outright random as to what gets obsessed over and what doesnt.

The biggest way to avoid hype though, at least for me: dont go and look at Youtube comments. Just dont. It's the most common place to find overblown hype all over the place. At least on forums, you can just not read topics dedicated to such-and-such game until you've tried it for yourself, if you decide to; you dont have to constantly listen to stuff about it if you choose not to. But on Youtube? Even when on unrelated gaming videos, going down into comments sections often exposes you to random hype about games that have nothing to do with anything, and can drown out other comments that might actually be relevant.

Though, really, Youtube comments are best avoided anyway. It's like a bastion of pure stupid.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2016, 6:15 am

Misery wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I'm gonna be honest, the main thing that turns me off of Undertale is probably its massive popularity. I can't stand it when people hype the ever loving crap out of things. I'd probably be more interested in it if it came out 10-15 years ago and people forgot about it somewhat. I still plan on playing it eventually, and who knows, I might actually enjoy it, but I'd like the zeitgeist to die down first. In the meantime, I think I'll install Xu4 and get started on Ultima IV.

That one's on you, though, not the game.

This is exactly why I simply dont listen to hype. Or even pay much attention to gaming news. I might hear about big popular games, but I dont actually go and look at what the community is saying about it; I usually just check out their store pages and possibly preview videos. It's a real shame to miss out on something you otherwise might love, simply because people talk about it alot. Which, if you think about it, is a rather nonsensical reason. It's not like the actual gameplay or content is affected by ANY of that. A hyped game would be the exact same game if it was a very niche thing instead of hyped to hell.

Heck, I had a friend do this recently with Overwatch. The whole "OMG I'm so tired of hearing about it, I'm not going to play it because everyone is so obsessed!". Someone ELSE I know made him play it anyway. 2 days later he had a copy of his own and has been playing it pretty constantly, which is pretty much what I figured would happen. Loves it, but would have missed out if the hype had completely gotten him to never touch it.

Really, it's best to just ignore all that crap. People get hyped for basically anything shiny these days. It could be a great game, it could be bloody awful, it almost seems outright random as to what gets obsessed over and what doesnt.

The biggest way to avoid hype though, at least for me: dont go and look at Youtube comments. Just dont. It's the most common place to find overblown hype all over the place. At least on forums, you can just not read topics dedicated to such-and-such game until you've tried it for yourself, if you decide to; you dont have to constantly listen to stuff about it if you choose not to. But on Youtube? Even when on unrelated gaming videos, going down into comments sections often exposes you to random hype about games that have nothing to do with anything, and can drown out other comments that might actually be relevant.

Though, really, Youtube comments are best avoided anyway. It's like a bastion of pure stupid.

I spend almost all of my time on the internet. It's pretty much impossible for me to not become inundated with hype, unless I somehow decide to cancel my subscription and never go online ever again. I can't just "ignore" things. If I could I'd be a much happier person.

And it's not just Youtube that has hype for things, it's Reddit, it's 4chan, it's this forum, it's that forum, it's major news sources, it's Urban Dictionary, it's my friends online, it's Steam, it's just bloody everywhere!

I have a friend online who's somewhat obsessed with it, but even he admits that Undertale is "nothing special", and honestly I've been ranting about it more lately than he's been raving about it. It's almost like I'm destined to complain about things that are popular. And guess what? I always have. Sometimes though, when the hype dies down a bit I'll try things that have been hyped to hell and back, and I'll end up liking them. Even though I get bombarded with hype for things all the time, I'm actually quite slow to keep up with current trends.

Now, I'm getting this feeling that you don't know how easily I get overwhelmed with things, and how much of a hard time I have filtering things out. Ironically, I didn't even read your whole text wall, but from what I managed to gather you basically said "it's easy to ignore things, so just ignore them!" Yeah. f*****g. Right. The only reason I ignored most of it was because there was too much to process, and I just heuristically extracted what I thought was the main point from it. But odds are, there's probably something I'm missing.

Anyway, I don't like posting textwalls. I like keeping things short and succint. Sometimes if I'm really passionate about something I'll infodump, but most of the time I don't have a lot to say about any given topic. I've been pissed off and annoyed at things enough lately that I'm barely able to take it anymore, and I just need to god damn vent.

I know you don't have the best reputation on here, and I try to cut you some slack, but I think something had to be said. Maybe it is just my problem and I'm overreacting to you, but gah, I'm getting sick of typing this.

TL;DR, hype is extremely hard to ignore, and people have been pissing me off because they're hard to ignore too. If I knew the secret to perfect ignorance and not giving a f**k about anything, I'd be a happy man.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2016, 8:10 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I spend almost all of my time on the internet. It's pretty much impossible for me to not become inundated with hype, unless I somehow decide to cancel my subscription and never go online ever again. I can't just "ignore" things. If I could I'd be a much happier person.

And it's not just Youtube that has hype for things, it's Reddit, it's 4chan, it's this forum, it's that forum, it's major news sources, it's Urban Dictionary, it's my friends online, it's Steam, it's just bloody everywhere!

I have a friend online who's somewhat obsessed with it, but even he admits that Undertale is "nothing special", and honestly I've been ranting about it more lately than he's been raving about it. It's almost like I'm destined to complain about things that are popular. And guess what? I always have. Sometimes though, when the hype dies down a bit I'll try things that have been hyped to hell and back, and I'll end up liking them. Even though I get bombarded with hype for things all the time, I'm actually quite slow to keep up with current trends.

Now, I'm getting this feeling that you don't know how easily I get overwhelmed with things, and how much of a hard time I have filtering things out. Ironically, I didn't even read your whole text wall, but from what I managed to gather you basically said "it's easy to ignore things, so just ignore them!" Yeah. f*****g. Right. The only reason I ignored most of it was because there was too much to process, and I just heuristically extracted what I thought was the main point from it. But odds are, there's probably something I'm missing.

Anyway, I don't like posting textwalls. I like keeping things short and succint. Sometimes if I'm really passionate about something I'll infodump, but most of the time I don't have a lot to say about any given topic. I've been pissed off and annoyed at things enough lately that I'm barely able to take it anymore, and I just need to god damn vent.

I know you don't have the best reputation on here, and I try to cut you some slack, but I think something had to be said. Maybe it is just my problem and I'm overreacting to you, but gah, I'm getting sick of typing this.

TL;DR, hype is extremely hard to ignore, and people have been pissing me off because they're hard to ignore too. If I knew the secret to perfect ignorance and not giving a f**k about anything, I'd be a happy man.

So, you too, eh? You know, I do get tired of people bothering to reply to me, if they cant even be bothered to read it.

Granted, to be fair, I'm not exactly the best at phrasing things. People do tend to mistake my meaning fairly often. Or perhaps "intention" is the right word there. Whichever. But the assumptions about meaning and intention should come AFTER the reading, not before. If the first part isnt done, the second shouldnt be either.

The whole point was simply encouragement to not look at that stuff. Mere advice, nothing more, from someone that's been on the Net for as long as there's BEEN a Net. If you want to know WHY I gave that specific encouragement, it's because I've heard this sort of thing multiple times from people lately. So I started simply repeating this. I figure... they can do with this advice as they like, really. I say it, and that's about it. If it gets them to think a bit... as it has in a couple of cases... well, that's good. And if they ignore it, well... oh well. And in the case of something like this, I figure, if I can help someone with something that's bothering them, and possibly get it to STOP bothering them (or at least help lessen it slightly), I may as well try, eh? My reputation aside, I try to help when I can. People dont always notice it as such, which is.... moderately irritating... but I still try to help in my own screwball way.

Oh, and I understand more about being overwhelmed than you might think. You're not alone in that one, you know (as it is, I tend to assume that basically everyone in this place is easily overwhelmed by stuff of all sorts)... This is actually why I started making a point of ignoring hype: because it used to drive me up the wall as well. These days I just refuse to look at / read stuff like that, and friends of mine know by now to *not* ramble on about some big game or whatever unless they genuinely think I might be interested (at which point I'll try it).

All of that stuff being said, if you really must vent, that's fine, but... really, was that much anger necessary? I thought I was supposed to be the unpleasant one here. Be careful of who you direct anger at when venting; it wont affect me, but if directed at someone else, particularly in this place, that might be pretty bad for the person getting hit by it. At least, if you need someone to talk to to help with anger, you're in the right forum overall. Theoretically.

And just as a side note, for the record, I'm well aware of my reputation on here. What I often call my "dark personality" tends to cause that. Got used to it years ago. I dont call myself "Misery" (which is the name I use *everywhere*) just because of Cave Story.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2016, 8:33 am

Lately I have just been getting pissed off at everyone and everything, and it kind of reached a critical mass. I try not to explode at people, but if I keep things locked up for too long it just ends up hurting me. I knew your user name came partly from your reputation; mine does too, in fact.

When I was younger I was a lot more outspoken and I expressed my opinions on things more freely. This included calling people out and sometimes even outright insulting them whenever they said or did something that pissed me off. I eventually learned that this often makes things even worse for me, and later on when I started developing a sense of empathy, I actually started to feel bad for other people. Since then I've been more restrained... but within me I still have a lot of anger and I get pissed off at things really easily. In the depths of my mind, I am actually an extremely unpleasant person.

Passive-aggressiveness is a b***h.

But anyway, I'm glad we've managed to come to a civil resolution. I was actually expecting things to escalate, truth be told.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 7:03 am

Minecraft and Pokemon Go.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2016, 9:51 pm

Mrbigmouth, I know exactly what you mean and agree.

Even if hype itself doesn't change the actual quality of the game, I think all the hype tends to unintentionally raise one's expectations for the game, which only ends up making it an underwhelming and disappointing experience.

For example, if there's a new video game that realistically you and most people would probably rate a 7 or 8 out of 10, but the internet is full of hype saying how amazing and spectacular it is, and everyone everywhere is rating it a 10/10 or saying 'it's so great it should be an 11 out of 10!!', you'd expect it to be a 10/10 game when you're only getting a 7 or 8/10 game.

And while a game that is a 7 or 8 is still quite enjoyable, you may simply dislike the game more because it didn't live up to all the hype you were exposed to, and what you would have considered a 7 out of 10 without the hype has now become a 6/10 because of the hype.

I see it all the time for massively hyped movies - most people who find the movie average/mediocre or bad say they went because all their friends wouldn't keep quiet about how amazing it was, only for them to be disappointed when they see it wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

Samussaria
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Aug 2016, 2:42 pm

Call of Duty
Dark Souls (would everyone just please shut up about it? I probably wouldn't hate it so much if not for the idiotic way people react to it.)

That's basically the 'hate' list.

Games that I don't get the hype over/like significantly less than most people

LoZ: A Link to the Past (I've just never really gotten that into it, honestly)
Any new 2D Mario (Basically anything past Yoshi's Island and Super Mario World)
2D Mario Kart (Nauseating. Can't play.)
Katamari Damacy (Love this game, don't understand why it's considered 'the best'. Both We <3 Katamari and Katamari Forever are just... So much more enjoyable. And I played the first one first.)
Wii Sports Resort (Enjoyable, but not so much so that it's worth hype? Obviously this isn't as hyped as literally anything else on this list, but all my friends are like "DUDE IT'S SO COOL" and it's alright I guess?)

There are probably others, I just can't think of them.

RabidFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Aug 2016, 5:03 pm

While I really like Final Fantasy VI and VII, I can't stand any of the other instalments.

Sometimes, I wonder if I'm the only one who hates Final Fantasy. :D

ZombyWoof
Toucan
Toucan

06 Aug 2016, 12:44 pm

the overly-patriotic ones like (no matter the country, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth):

Just Cause 2
Call Of Duty (also not my type of game, if FPS i prefer stuff like Doom and Duke Nukem with their large, or large-seeming rather, levels with keycards, secrets and tongue-in-cheek humor.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 2:58 pm

RabidFox wrote:
While I really like Final Fantasy VI and VII, I can't stand any of the other instalments.

I don't like Final Fantasy, mainly because it's just a generic RPG. The only RPG I've gotten myself into was Pokemon. I prefer action adventure style games like Zelda, or games involving great skill like Super Monkey Ball.

RabidFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2016, 8:24 pm

saxgeek wrote:
RabidFox wrote:

I don't like Final Fantasy, mainly because it's just a generic RPG. The only RPG I've gotten myself into was Pokemon. I prefer action adventure style games like Zelda, or games involving great skill like Super Monkey Ball.

I remember when I very first got into PokeMon. It became my favourite thing and I really had a lot of fun with it.

I'm so glad there's someone else that dislikes Final Fantasy. I feel like it's taken a particular concept and beat it to death. Metaphorically speaking, chocobos aren't enough to make something "Final Fantasy". It's supposed to be a screwed up story about screwed up people. They keep reviving it over and over and all they're doing is reusing a few different ideas from game to game.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 9:51 pm

I wonder if it's mainly children and teens that cause a lot of hype.

For some series and franchises, the majority of its fanbase are young children and teens, even if they weren't the targeted audience.

Children tend to be more easily impressed and less critical of media, and they tend to be loudmouthed and make a lot of noise about games series they like on the internet.

For example, Five Night's At Freddy's fanbase mostly consists of young kids and teens, and it's massively hyped and overrated.

Undertale is another example.

I've noticed Final Fantasy tends to attract the age 10-16 range (or nostalgic young adults who played the earlier games in the series) the most (though I don't have statistics to prove this), and to some it is considered overrated and overhyped.

Pokemon, while having adult fans, is targeted towards children, an in my opinion is (or at least, was) overrated (much of the DS games are very similar and rarely added anything new to the gameplay or series)

COD is stereotypically associated with 12 year olds, and maybe it's them that keeps buying the new copy&paste games each and every year that keeps the franchise afloat.

A lot of the time, all I see on GTA V online are 15 year olds.

While I like(d) him, Youtuber PewDiePie is massively overrated, especially since most of his videos nowadays aren't LPs anymore like they used to be, but a lot of random garbage. His promise of producing a video essentially every Friday gives him too quick of a deadline, which results in a lot of low quality videos being produced. Most of his fans appear to be young kids and teens.

Anyway, if anyone here knows any entertainment series (tv, movie, video games, etc.) massively overrated and overhyped, and the majority of their fans are over 20 years old, please list them here, for it is in my experiences this tends to be the age people become far more critical of the entertainment they're consuming, and don't just throw 10/10s at everything (unless you're IGN, of course).

Then again, maybe it's an unfair claim to make, because statistically the majority of fans of most gaming series have always been teenage males.

Though in recent year the number of young and middle-aged adult gamers and female gamers has increased, though I think the definition of 'gaming' is too loose in some studies.

I'm not a hardcore gamer at all, and not trying to sound like one, but someone who plays facebook or phone games, I simply can't consider a gamer.

PC games, sure. Console games, of course. But if your entire concept of 'gaming' is playing CandyCrush when bored standing in line, it's a bit silly to identify yourself as a 'gamer'.

Just like I am not a writer because I'm typing words on a computer right now. And I wouldn't be a musician if I tap my finger in rhythmic fashion on the desk when bored or randomly banged on some drums when bored, and I wouldn't be considered an 'athlete' because I jogged that one time from Point A to Point B or played sports with some friend that one time at that one party. Just like I'm not a 'gamer' if I played candycrush that one time at that one party when I was bored and shouldn't statistically be counted as one.

We can choose to 'identify' as whatever we want, but for the purpose of not messing up statistics, sometimes the definitions of surveys should be stricter and more exclusive. If every person with African ancestry, for example (technically, almost every human on Earth has traces of it, even infinitely small amounts that are so tiny they don't even show up on DNA tests, say 0.0001% or such) identified as Black, it would mess up a whole lot of statistics.

RabidFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2016, 12:53 pm

When I was younger, I was a hardcore gamer. I played video games constantly. And I played a little of everything. But then I grew up in the first generation of real gamers. Not PacMan and stuff like that. Earthbound, Secret of Mana, Illusion of Gaia, The Legend of Zelda, etcetera. I saw all the different kinds of games and platforms. I saw video games build and build until they became an empire that ruled the world.

However, the older I get, the more repetitive games get. I've fallen out as a hardcore gamer and become a lot more casual. Now days, I only buy games that I really, really want to play. I ignore everything else. It's gotten to the point that I even ignore Zelda games. Mirror's Edge? Now I can't ignore that. Star Fox Zero? I thought that was going to be great, but it was horrible. It's reached the point that all I want to do is play Canasta.

Basically, I feel like games in general are over hyped these days.

Extrication
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Aug 2016, 12:37 am

Doom '16.

I loathe this product so much that I won't even bother to include any box art or screenshots with my diatribe.

When the original classic was released back in 1993, the only reference material Id Software had to draw upon (other than their own Catacombs 3D and Wolfenstein 3D, and copycats like Bram Stoker's Dracula) were the computer role-playing games of the era -- titles like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Ultima Underworld, etc. As such, Doom is very much rooted in the design philosophy of those aforementioned games, so much so that it is often likened to a dungeon crawler with guns. The levels were labyrinthine, abstract and puzzle-laden, with loot to be discovered and booby traps to be bypassed.

This historical fact was obviously lost on the new generation of developers who, rather than actually bothering to retrace the steps of their forerunners, opted instead to amalgamate elements derivative of uninspired modern franchises and console shooters. (If I wanted to be sealed within combat zones and forced to dispatch waves of beasts, I would play Serious Sam. If I wanted to procure magical health orbs from monster pinatas, I would play Turok: Dinosaur Hunter...) As such, the game fails to capture the true essence of Doom, or of DOS gaming in general.

The notion that Doom was all about mindless "rip and tear" -- with little attention given to pacing and horror -- is erroneous. Again, the devious traps. Or wondering when the next monster closet will be unexpectedly triggered. The unease of finding a much needed pickup lying about within a large, otherwise barren room, and not knowing what will happen when you take it. Or traversing a narrow maze, and having your backside violationed by a Hell-knight. Effective jump scares courtesy of thoughtful, deliberate monster placements. The WASD control scheme didn't exist in those days; for many of us, it was keyboard only. That people are capable of speed running through these levels on the Nightmare difficulty setting is a testament to the determination, intelligence, and patience of these elites. That a minority of dedicated fans could tackle the game in this fashion does not mean that such was the only viable method; alternatively, the player could establish kill boxes and pick off throngs of lesser monsters from behind door frames and other tight corners. Again, the levels were labyrinthine and abstract, and rushing into a new area as you would in this dispassionate cash-grab without first knowing the lay of the land could very well get you butchered in an instant.

I might have been able to forgive all of the above if the art direction didn't look as if it were conceived by SCAD graduates in between hacky sack sessions. The retro grittiness of the original is nowhere to be found here...not even the paranoia-inducing darkness of Doom 64 and Doom 3.

But it was ill-advised of Bethesda to even attempt to recapture the magic of Doom in today's climate. Imagine if Miramax threw together a remake of Pulp Fiction for a 2016 audience and without the involvement of Quentin Tarantino or Roger Avery. You cannot hope to properly replicate such a formula outside of the 90s. Release a pure, faithful recreation of the original -- with everything left in tact, and no artistic liberties -- or don't bother. I would gladly shell out a full sixty bucks for such a release, and many others would as well.

Last edited by Extrication on 17 Aug 2016, 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 1:07 am

Extrication wrote:
Doom '16.

I loathe this product so much that I won't even bother to include any box art or screenshots with my diatribe.

When the original classic was released back in 1993, the only reference material Id Software had to draw upon (other than their own Catacombs 3D and Wolfenstein 3D, and copycats like Bram Stoker's Dracula) were the computer role-playing games of the era -- titles like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Ultima Underworld, etc. As such, Doom is very much rooted in the design philosophy of those aforementioned games, so much so that it is often likened to a dungeon crawler with guns. The levels were labyrinthine, abstract and puzzle-laden, with loot to be discovered and booby traps to be bypassed.

This historical fact was obviously lost on the new generation of developers who, rather than actually bothering to retrace the steps of their forerunners, opted instead to amalgamate those elements derivative of uninspired modern franchises and console shooters. As such, the game fails to capture the true essence of Doom, or of DOS gaming in general.

If I wanted to be sealed within combat zones and forced to dispatch wave-after-wave of beasts, I would play Serious Sam again instead (which can be acquired for a fraction of the cost). If I wanted to procure magical health orbs from monster pinatas, I would play Turok: Dinosaur Hunter...

The notion that Doom was all about mindless "rip and tear" -- with little attention given to pacing and horror -- is erroneous. Again, the devious traps. Or wondering when the next monster closet will be unexpectedly triggered. The unease of finding a much needed pickup lying about within a large, otherwise barren room, and not knowing what will happen when you take it. Or how about traversing a narrow maze, and receiving a surprise violation from behind by a Hell-knight. The WASD control scheme didn't exist in those days; for many of us, it was keyboard only. That people are capable of speed running through these levels on the Nightmare difficulty setting is a testament to the determination, intelligence, and patience of these elites. That a minority of dedicated fans could tackle the game in this fashion does not mean that such was the only viable method; alternatively, the player could establish kill boxes and pick off throngs of lesser monsters from behind door frames and other tight corners. Again, the levels were labyrinthine and abstract, and rushing into a new area as you would in this dispassionate cash-grab without first knowing the lay of the land could very well get you butchered in an instant.

I might've been able to forgive all of the above if the art direction didn't look as if it were conceived by SCAD graduates in between hacky sack sessions. The retro grittiness of the original is simply nowhere to be found here...certainly not the paranoia-inducing darkness of Doom 64 and Doom 3.

I could go on, but I think my position is cogent enough. If Bethesda had instead released a pure, faithful recreation of the original with everything left in tact and no liberties taken, I would have paid full price. And many others would have as well.

As much as I'd like to try Doom 4 some time, from what I've seen of it I have to agree; it doesn't really capture the true spirit of Doom. Instead, it's based more on the "zeitgeist" of Doom, as LGR put it; things like the one shot Marvel comic that became a meme, Brutal Doom, Russian Overkill, nuts.wad, etc.

To me, the true spirit of Doom involves sprawling, atmospheric levels, solving environmental puzzles, finding secrets, fighting for survival with limited resources, watching for threats around every corner, and of course using your brain to strategize how you're going to beat a level instead of just mindlessly blasting things. Doom II dialed up the number of monsters and was generally more "actiony" than the original, but it still made good use of clever level architecture and atmosphere.

Now, even though the WASD layout wasn't invented until later when Quake was the hot new game in town, John Romero did play Doom with a keyboard and mouse simultaneously.

Extrication

17 Aug 2016, 1:28 am

Sorry for all the recent edits.

Quote:
Doom II dialed up the number of monsters and was generally more "actiony" than the original, but it still made good use of clever level architecture and atmosphere.

I take it you've played Final Doom as well? If not, that one was pretty much tailored for speed runners, and it was utterly brutal even on the lesser difficulty settings. Dare I say, I think it may have set a precedent...

Quote:
Now, even though the WASD layout wasn't invented until later when Quake was the hot new game in town, John Romero did play Doom with a keyboard and mouse simultaneously.

That is true. Also, I do seem to recall the layout existing as early as 1994 with Raven Software's CyClones, though it has been many years since I've played that one and I could be wrong.