Rockband PC version canceled: No viable market on PC

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 1:47 pm

It's finally happened to very few people's surprise...
Harmonix has canceled the PC version of the new Rockband game citing "no viable market for it on PC!".
This hot on the heals of the negative response from PC users to Mortal Kombat X, causing WBi to exit the PC gaming market this February.

If you want the new Rockband, you will have to buy a PS4 or Xbox One.
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/rock-band- ... 30#updates

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 2:52 pm

It's never really struck me as a game that would really work on a PC in the first place, I imagine there are quite a few games you'd have to buy a PS4 or Xbox 1 for.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 5:20 pm

Cant imagine why in the world they thought to put it on PC in the first place, as things are now.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 5:23 pm

They were using Fig as well, which is a scam in itself. Sorry, but I don't trust any Double Fine affiliated venture with handling money. I like their games, but I'm only going to get them when they are 75% off or more. Tim is a gigantic idiot, so the lack of respect for him also factors in.

Rhythm games are a dying breed, and the developers are probably realizing this now.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 8:42 am

andrethemoogle wrote:
Rhythm games are a dying breed...

They're not dying, they're dead ;) The new Rock Band and Guitar Hero games are an attempt at a comeback.

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 10:34 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:

They're not dying, they're dead ;) The new Rock Band and Guitar Hero games are an attempt at a comeback.

I strongly disagree. The genre is still alive, just not getting big attention because its basically indie rhythm games now. Also I would bet many people still play old versions of Rock Band, Guitar Hero (and so on), so if gamers are still enjoying the games.. the genre isnt dead either.

Don't call something dead when its not.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 8:28 pm

Ignoring the fact that it's ridiculous that this huge publisher tried to crowdfund this, I can't imagine there being much of a demand for games with gimmicky peripherals on PC. Not to mention how these sorts of games had their heyday ages ago and there was a reason why they stopped selling. I say this as a fan of music rhythm games in general. People didn't want a huge plastic thing taking up space that was only ever useful for two games that they kept reselling as new games yearly. Now they've revised their pricing model to a microtransaction one, which actually makes far more sense for this type of game. But it's far too late and people have moved on.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2016, 8:18 am

PC Gamers have better games to play.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2016, 10:44 am

Earthbound wrote:
SabbraCadabra wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:

I strongly disagree. The genre is still alive, just not getting big attention because its basically indie rhythm games now. Also I would bet many people still play old versions of Rock Band, Guitar Hero (and so on), so if gamers are still enjoying the games.. the genre isnt dead either.

Don't call something dead when its not.

Yeah I haven't had the impression its really dead, I still hear about people playing such games or see the guitar controllers laying around or hooked up from time to time (though I thought the rock band had a more realistic guitar). Either way I can't imagine why if one was going to play such a game they would choose P.C with a keyboard/mouse over a console that you can hook up the specialized controllers/instrument things to. I mean I suppose that type of game doesn't get much hype anymore, but it's also not the first of it's kind anymore or as new so the masses don't care as much.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 8:02 am

Earthbound wrote:
I strongly disagree. The genre is still alive, just not getting big attention because its basically indie rhythm games now.

Well obviously a game or genre can never be 100% dead with nobody on Earth still playing it, but when Activision gives up and immediately throws all of their ____ Hero games into the $10 bargain bin, and thrift stores have more plastic guitars than they know what to do with...I'd say the genre is about as dead as point-and-click adventure games were in 2002.