Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 9:30 pm

Im debating whether or not to get a PS4 pro. I don't have a PS4 and the pro model coming out next month finally supports SATA 3 which if you put in a SSD will finally be able to take advantage of those speeds and eliminate loading time which I hate with consoles. Even though it isn't full 4k, but upscaled the trailers with the upscaled content and HDR comparisons look gorgeous.

The PS4 line up finally has enough titles that interest me like the new FF coming out at the end of this year, Deus ex, as well as Just Cause 3 and the Last of Us remastered. The upcoming Mass Effect Andromeda is supposed to take advantage of the HDR as well.

The prices for SSD along with 4K HDR TVs have come way down in price.

Anyone else considering or already pre ordered the PS4 pro?

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 10:18 pm

I'm not aware of any games I want to play on PS4, but it sure sounds like some interesting hardware.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 10:27 pm

What's ff?

Just cause 3 was fun. So was last of us.
Fallout 4 and skyrim are great games too.
I'm getting battlefield 1 tonight then skyrim two weeks from now and watch dogs 2 in a month.

I have bf4,gta5,division, mgs5, infamous 2nd son(also fun), far cry 4, and killzone shadow fall, along with mine craft and world of tanks.

If you going get one and can wait I'd get the pro if you have a 4K tv. I'll n her have 4K

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 10:49 pm

There's nothing I need on the thing, so it's a big "no" in my case.

I have a PS4, but it may as well be some sort of specialized dust-collection device, as the one and only thing it's used for is so that I can play Enter the Gungeon when I'm travelling (gives me something to do that isnt just Binding of Isaac, the main thing my damn laptop is useful for). It has no other function. I only havent sold it off because I'm lazy. Actually, looking around, I suddenly realize that I dont even know where it is... and dont care enough to look for it right now.

That and I'm using a very high-end PC here.... games like JC3 are available on there, and unless the port job is bad (like with that Arkham game) PC versions can do more. There's no reason for me to get the PS4 version of.... anything. Granted, I dont like AAA games to begin with most of the time. Usually boring and easy and stuffed full of cutscenes that I dont want to watch.

Honestly the Pro sounds more like a cash grab from Sony than anything else. It also makes me want to caution everyone about it, as I remember the time when the PS2 Slimline originally came out. It was supposed to be such a great product. Instead it was.... basically the same, except that it was MUCH more prone to breakdowns and generally more shoddy. I remember working at Gamestop at the time... we had SO many returns on the thing shortly after it's release. LOTS of angry customers. Be wary of buying something like this.

Quote:
What's ff?

Final Fantasy.

Synth.osx
Raven
Raven

18 Oct 2016, 2:36 am

Consoles are what they are, they provide a plug and play experience for the consumer market. The introduction of VR and HDR on the market will definitely sell many PS4 Pro consoles.

I am a PC Gamer exclusively but I only see it as a positive that Sony are pushing for HDR and VR. The exclusive titles coming out for the PSVR will push Oculus up a gear to secure major titles and on the monitor front, we could see HDR10 monitors in the near future with Nvidia working on several titles.

The reduction in LCD 4K HDR televisions could lead to more competitive OLED pricing, that would be great for consumers all around. I do not recommend an OLED television for gaming due to input lag and latency though, the Samsung KS 8 and 9 series models provide lower latency.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 7:04 am

Synth.osx wrote:
Consoles are what they are, they provide a plug and play experience for the consumer market. The introduction of VR and HDR on the market will definitely sell many PS4 Pro consoles.

I am a PC Gamer exclusively but I only see it as a positive that Sony are pushing for HDR and VR. The exclusive titles coming out for the PSVR will push Oculus up a gear to secure major titles and on the monitor front, we could see HDR10 monitors in the near future with Nvidia working on several titles.

The reduction in LCD 4K HDR televisions could lead to more competitive OLED pricing, that would be great for consumers all around. I do not recommend an OLED television for gaming due to input lag and latency though, the Samsung KS 8 and 9 series models provide lower latency.

Ugh, yes, VR and... whatever the TV thing is. I've been trying to pretend that neither of these are things. Particularly VR... it's existence only irritates me. I'll not go into why... it's a very, very long rant. I could probably take up 5 pages with it, and they'd be very unpleasant pages, even for me. The TV bit just seems pointless; I have no interest in either direction with that one. Far as I"m concerned, if it displays stuff, and if it turns on without shorting out, and doesnt make horrible squealing noises, it's a good TV. Or monitor. I just use the damn things until they fall apart and then replace them with whatever is nearby.

I'm just hoping nobody I know tries to get me into VR, like they try to do with basically every other damn thing. The first time they try that is when I start throwing things at them. Though more likely if any of them pick it up I'll just avoid them for 2 months to give it time to wear off.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 4:11 pm

^don't actually see the vr bit going anywhere with the ps4 in the long run. console gamers aren't used to having to spend $400(not including the extra $100 or so on move controls and a ps camera) on a peripheral, so it's not aptly priced to sell to the majority. those who want it will surely buy it, as it is technically sort of affordable if that's really someone's thing, but it's unlikely that major devs are going to spend the time making games exclusively for it in the long run as they'd lose money in not catering to the interests of the majority.

ps move fell apart for that reason, as games were developed to include it for a year or so, and then developers stopped bothering to incorporate it because it was just a lot of extra work to please so few who cared. it seems sony's plan to push the headset at the moment is to mostly make vr exclusive titles available for those games that actually utilize it, but most look unimaginatively generic at the moment(basically, the games are what everyone, including small children, might brainstorm of what could made with vr). quite frankly, my first thought in hearing about sony's vr was, "wow, not getting that unless it has battle zone... wait? what? not even if it has battle zone."

anyway, if my father hadn't already got me a ps4 a little less than a year ago, would probably want the ps4 pro. however, console side-grades aren't my thing, and never have been(usually will only buy another if the old one breaks and only if it broke after a fair amount of time). still perfectly comfortable sticking with my current ps4, and quite frankly if they start doing pro exclusives without ports for the old model ps4, those titles will just get passed up for bad business practice. not to mention, if looking to buy another console, would kind of rather get a wii u at this point to supplement what has been missed in only having the ps4(don't have a pc).

as it stands, almost all of my favorite games for the ps4 don't even utilize the console's abilities(typically avoid cinema inspired tripple-a action-adventure/gun games), as they're almost all remasters, fighting games, arcade and indie titles. the only one that feels like playing on a new gen console that takes a huge step over the ps3's capacity is fallout 4, and then there'll be the skyrim remaster(while not actually favorites, decent things like bloodborne and dark souls 3 could have easily been scuffed up the slightest tad graphically and made it to the ps3 as their worlds weren't particularly large nor their interfaces really any more elaborate than the previous souls games.). honestly, probably still play my ps3 a fair bit since some of my favorite titles like the ninja gaiden games still haven't gotten ports over to the ps4... it's kind of weird, as in the past it'd usually take me at least a handful of years to decide to go back and play an older console for nostalgic purposes, but both consoles just sit side by side on my console cabinet.

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 4:27 pm

I'm passing on it. It's unfortunate Sony had to do this new version PS4 to cater to a small amount of people. The 4K stuff isnt that popular (from what I know). Do they know something I don't? I don't follow all the tech stuff.. but I have seen a bit of comments on the Pro and it seems overrated and not needed. I hate how things get updates, when they don't really need them.

As a longtime PlayStation owner (I've owned PS1 through 4), I'm a bit disappointed the route Sony has gone lately.

Such focus on virtual reality.. its a gimmick! I see it lasting a few years then dying most likely. Having a little screen so close to your eyes for a bit of time doesn't even seem healthy. Lawsuits over the health issues will likely come up I would bet.

Lack of exclusives. It feels like this gen (and a bit of last) there was very few exclusives that were worth getting. Uncharted, God of War and a tiny amount of others. What happened to originality? Now this gen is a ton of remasters, boring sequels and PC ports (many of which are so buggy and the game makers don't always fix them!).

PS4 doesn't play PS3 games, instead they have the horrid streaming service PS Now for PS3 games. I have decent internet and guess what? The games lag! PS3 is still getting support- which is fine. However it's not fine that PS4 still doesn't have PS1 classics. Heck.. the PS2 classics line is pretty small really. I buy old games still but if they are insanely high I likely wont buy them. Sony could easily put stuff on the PS4 digital store at $15-40 for us older fans and we would buy it!

Then there is PSN issues- I either notice these a few times a week or read online that there is outages (even if they are short) more than enough. Sony bumping the price of PS + up doesn't look good at all, when their servers are still crap and not reliable! Paying for multiplayer is a joke in the first place. PS + free games are usually meh or stuff I own. I don't expect them to be great games everytime, but honestly could be improved! Plus I still don't agree with "you only can play your PS + games if you are a current subscriber to PS +". Why? I was the member during that month, I should have the game no matter what. I havent had PS + for a while, because I dont do multiplayer much. It's a stupid fee that shouldn't be in place. Sony should fix the servers but likely wont unless sales really drop or whatever.

A minor issue I have is the search feature- I'm looking for a game and I type part of the title in.. it doesn't instantly pop up. Heck.. if I type in the full game name, it still doesn't always show up! Searching by genre doesn't help matters a lot either, because so many games are classified a bit wrong. Is there some secret search feature I'm missing here?

Sorry for the rant.. a little :lol:

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 9:14 pm

Misery wrote:
There's nothing I need on the thing, so it's a big "no" in my case.

I have a PS4, but it may as well be some sort of specialized dust-collection device, as the one and only thing it's used for is so that I can play Enter the Gungeon when I'm travelling (gives me something to do that isnt just Binding of Isaac, the main thing my damn laptop is useful for). It has no other function. I only havent sold it off because I'm lazy. Actually, looking around, I suddenly realize that I dont even know where it is... and dont care enough to look for it right now.

That and I'm using a very high-end PC here.... games like JC3 are available on there, and unless the port job is bad (like with that Arkham game) PC versions can do more. There's no reason for me to get the PS4 version of.... anything. Granted, I dont like AAA games to begin with most of the time. Usually boring and easy and stuffed full of cutscenes that I dont want to watch.

Honestly the Pro sounds more like a cash grab from Sony than anything else. It also makes me want to caution everyone about it, as I remember the time when the PS2 Slimline originally came out. It was supposed to be such a great product. Instead it was.... basically the same, except that it was MUCH more prone to breakdowns and generally more shoddy. I remember working at Gamestop at the time... we had SO many returns on the thing shortly after it's release. LOTS of angry customers. Be wary of buying something like this.

Quote:
What's ff?

Final Fantasy.

Previously I've been mostly a PC gamer but my computer needs a lot of upgrades and the cost would be about the same either way. $400 vs $500 price difference in a console is negligble as far as I am concerned since I don't already have a PS4. One thing I would like to be able to do is sit back away from the screen on a couch or something due to motion sickness with some games. I can't sit back from a large monitor as I never am able to see Windows or use it properly if I do.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 9:58 pm

Noca wrote:
Previously I've been mostly a PC gamer but my computer needs a lot of upgrades and the cost would be about the same either way. $400 vs $500 price difference in a console is negligble as far as I am concerned since I don't already have a PS4. One thing I would like to be able to do is sit back away from the screen on a couch or something due to motion sickness with some games. I can't sit back from a large monitor as I never am able to see Windows or use it properly if I do.

Unless your PC is actually damaged, there's typically no reason whatsoever to upgrade in most cases when it comes to gaming; only if the machine is downright ancient are these upgrades actually necessary, despite what those companies would have you believe. And even then, usually the only thing that needs real upgrading is the video card; and those dont have to cost $400. They could cost $60. RAM, the other thing usually upgraded, also doesnt cost much.

If you're pushing to have powerful graphics and whatnot, there's STILL not much reason. Even with a weaker setup, you're still going to be outdoing a machine like the Pro. I know Sony touts the hell out of those things, but they still dont match up to even a mid-range PC.

As for gaming on the couch, if you're using Steam, they have this thing called a Steam Link, which is about $50. Your computer basically sends the visual stuff to that, and that thing attaches to any TV in your house, all wireless. Devs these days tend to be aware that people dont always want to be hunched over a damn desk, after all... we all do enough of that in recent times.

As for dealing with Windows, my suggestion would be to sit back anyway. MOST of your gaming time is not spent dealing with Windows and it's idiocy... get close to the monitor when you need to click something. Sit back and relax once your game has started.

The point of all of this being, of course, so that you dont have to spend a damn silly amount of money. Particularly if you're a PC gamer, the PS4 just isnt going to give you much of anything that you couldnt already get. Dont forget that many of the AAA games end up not just on consoles, but on PC as well. Things sure have changed since the old days... devs/publishers dont seem content anymore with the idea of exclusives.

I remember a time when that was definitely different... ah, nostalgia.

I'd also be wary of those 4K TVs... dont forget, these companies will do anything to sell these to you, and what they're REALLY trying to do with things like these is sell you something that has lots of big numbers on the box (which is something done with tech products FREQUENTLY). One thing I've heard over... and over.... and over.... and over... and over.... and over.... is that there's next to no ACTUAL increase in picture quality with these. The human eye can only see so much difference from resolution upgrades... hell, at HD, we're already pretty much at the point where going any further is pointless. This isnt like the jump from old CRT TVs to HD flatscreens, where it was this HUGE change. You're only going to notice anything at all if you're sitting really close to the screen, and even then, the difference is very small. Game remasters are very much the same way.... this isnt like when the jump from the PS2 to the PS3 happened. What the PS4 allows devs to do isnt so much a massive increase in graphical capability; in fact, this is the SMALLEST upgrade in the history of consoles. What it does let them do is create more complex situations... more characters/objects on screen without the central simulation slowing down, for instance. With a game like Last of Us, this will have zero effect, because they're not just going to stick 10 million more dudes in there or whatever. Remastering a game from the PS2 era makes sense... Remastering one from the PS3 era or later is a cash grab. I *guarantee* you that companies are going to start doing this more and more as they realize that this allows them to sell the same game a second time with minimal effort.

Also, on the resolution thing, some games also start to have issues with ultra-high resolutions, where the interface starts to get really screwy and weird, and with tiny, tiny, tiny text.

My point is, dont fall for the big numbers, or shiny bullet points on electronic products. This is THE biggest thing plaguing the industry right now, as the Big Guys try to shove utterly useless products in your face. Alot of things these days arent what these companies want you to think they are. Something like VR, for instance. As Earthbound says, it's a gimmick. It's not going to revolutionize gaming (again, what it ACTUALLY boils down to is motion controls... remember how the Wii "revolutionized" gaming with it's massive amount of shovelware?), and anyone that can get past publishers' attempts to sucker them into it is going to realize this. It, too, is another thing that sells mostly via shiny bullet points, yet those bullet points are undone by a MASSIVE number of restrictions and problems (the fact that it can make you sick, for instance... just wait for the lawsuits. Just wait for them). The one and ONLY thing I can see VR being genuinely useful for is vehicle simulators. But those are a very niche thing. Other than that, a HUGE number of genres arent even viable on it... hell, I'd say *most* of them arent viable. But the Big Guys dont want you to think about that.

And that's just how it is with stuff like this lately. Big numbers, shiny things on boxes... and ANYTHING to get the consumer to NOT think about things before buying them.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 4:10 am

I'm quite content with my PS2 to be honest.

Synth.osx
Raven
Raven

19 Oct 2016, 4:38 am

Virtual reality may be a niche market at the moment but major developers from Bethesda to Ubisoft are currently working on titles for the platform, the entry point for a VR is a low one considering that it is less expensive than many high resolution monitors.

To experience the full benefits of the PS4 Pro or Xbox One S, you will need a Ultra HD display that meets the UHD premium label. If you want to play PC games in HDR, you will require a new Pascal graphics card and a monitor that supports HDR, there are currently several titles that Nvidia are implementing HDR support for.

Not every television marketed as HDR has received the UHD Premium label and in some cases, they are not 10bit panels. 10bit provides more gradations in the transition between two colours, this provides a much richer image and difference between every colour in an image. HDR defines the contrast ratio which is the difference between the darkest and brightest spot on a television, it is more noticeable on an OLED or an LED with FALD over a typical CCFL edge-lit LED display.

UHD Premium has a minimum contrast requirement of :

Over 1000 nits of peak brightness and less than 0.05 nits of black.
OR
Over 540 nits of peak brightness and less than 0.0005 nits of black.

If you are in the market for a HDR panel, be sure that it meets the UHD Premium requirement as many manufacturers are advertising televisions that do not come close to the Ultra HD Premium as HDR panels.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 8:07 am

Synth.osx wrote:
Virtual reality may be a niche market at the moment but major developers from Bethesda to Ubisoft are currently working on titles for the platform, the entry point for a VR is a low one considering that it is less expensive than many high resolution monitors.

It's unlikely to be more than a niche market even AFTER they've released stuff for it. As I keep telling people, the problem is the huge, HUGE number of restrictions that it has (seriously, the tech itself seems NOWHERE NEAR ready for consumer use... but they're selling it anyway) and the sheer number of genres that are literally not even viable on it (which is to say, nearly all of them). Even a simple FPS cant REALLY be done on VR right now, since it can make the user sick, if the player is actually allowed to MOVE. That's.... pretty freaking bad. Products with such extreme restrictions (and the high cost of the thing, this is NOT a cheap device and most will find the cost extremely prohibitive) do not make for consumer-friendly things.

Let's also not forget the bits where these things often need large amounts of space, and also the parts where your ENTIRE FACE IS COVERED, yet you're expected to wave your arms around. Remember all those accidents that were so amazingly frequent with the Wii? Stuff getting accidentally smashed, someone jamming their hand into a ceiling fan (my cousin did that once while using a Wiimote; ended up holding an ice pack to his wrist the rest of the night... quite a nasty bruise) or, you know, whatever... except now it's going to be multiplied because not only is there arm waving, but you CANT SEE YOUR SURROUNDINGS. That's a problem, and nobody seems to think of it. They think it's not an issue until, very suddenly, it is.

It's the sort of thing where anyone considering buying it (any form of it) needs to think very, very carefully about it before committing that big amount of money for it, because this absolutely has the potential to end up going nowhere a year or two down the line. If I'm being totally honest, I'd say that I really think the Big Guys didnt actually think this one through very well. They just saw a bandwagon (started, if I recall, by the hype around the Oculus Rift) and jumped on it, same as everyone did with motion controls (and we all know how amazingly successful the PS Move and Xbox Kinect were....). Despite that this bandwagon was wobbly and missing a wheel. The Big Guys do this one every now and then, and it almost never works out very well. Consider your purchases carefully, is what I'm saying here... dont fall for the things simply because they're shiny. This is EXACTLY the sort of device that has the potential to be cool for a few weeks, and then collects dust on the shelf until the end of time.

Synth.osx
Raven
Raven

19 Oct 2016, 10:08 am

Misery wrote:
Synth.osx wrote:

It's unlikely to be more than a niche market even AFTER they've released stuff for it. As I keep telling people, the problem is the huge, HUGE number of restrictions that it has (seriously, the tech itself seems NOWHERE NEAR ready for consumer use... but they're selling it anyway) and the sheer number of genres that are literally not even viable on it (which is to say, nearly all of them). Even a simple FPS cant REALLY be done on VR right now, since it can make the user sick, if the player is actually allowed to MOVE. That's.... pretty freaking bad. Products with such extreme restrictions (and the high cost of the thing, this is NOT a cheap device and most will find the cost extremely prohibitive) do not make for consumer-friendly things.

Let's also not forget the bits where these things often need large amounts of space, and also the parts where your ENTIRE FACE IS COVERED, yet you're expected to wave your arms around. Remember all those accidents that were so amazingly frequent with the Wii? Stuff getting accidentally smashed, someone jamming their hand into a ceiling fan (my cousin did that once while using a Wiimote; ended up holding an ice pack to his wrist the rest of the night... quite a nasty bruise) or, you know, whatever... except now it's going to be multiplied because not only is there arm waving, but you CANT SEE YOUR SURROUNDINGS. That's a problem, and nobody seems to think of it. They think it's not an issue until, very suddenly, it is.

It's the sort of thing where anyone considering buying it (any form of it) needs to think very, very carefully about it before committing that big amount of money for it, because this absolutely has the potential to end up going nowhere a year or two down the line. If I'm being totally honest, I'd say that I really think the Big Guys didnt actually think this one through very well. They just saw a bandwagon (started, if I recall, by the hype around the Oculus Rift) and jumped on it, same as everyone did with motion controls (and we all know how amazingly successful the PS Move and Xbox Kinect were....). Despite that this bandwagon was wobbly and missing a wheel. The Big Guys do this one every now and then, and it almost never works out very well. Consider your purchases carefully, is what I'm saying here... dont fall for the things simply because they're shiny. This is EXACTLY the sort of device that has the potential to be cool for a few weeks, and then collects dust on the shelf until the end of time.

I have an Oculus Rift CV1 and it is definitely revolutionary, there are already major titles with VR support available on it. You have to experience Virtual Reality to understand how immersive it is, I was skeptical before I purchased an Oculus Rift CV1. There are several titles supporting the Oculus Rift including Elite: Dangerous, DiRT Rally, Euro Truck Simulator 2 and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and although the experience isn't perfect yet, it is still extremely immersive. There are also virtual reality cinema applications that load a huge virtual cinema in front of your eyes, you can watch any film on a huge screen without going to the cinema.

Oculus Rift provides a seated experience for many games but it will give players the choice when the Oculus Touch controllers release, you can choose between a seated or standing VR experience.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 3:46 pm

I just got the PS4. I see these newer versions as more of a gimmick. I don't need a 4K TV, and I currently game on a sweet LCD monitor as it is. VR is not attractive to me as I suspect it would set off a good deal of motion sickness.

The next gen PS unit will be much, much better, and I'd rather hold out for that.

Never got into the 360 Kinect either.

Synth.osx
Raven
Raven

20 Oct 2016, 12:21 am

zer0netgain wrote:
I just got the PS4. I see these newer versions as more of a gimmick. I don't need a 4K TV, and I currently game on a sweet LCD monitor as it is. VR is not attractive to me as I suspect it would set off a good deal of motion sickness.

The next gen PS unit will be much, much better, and I'd rather hold out for that.

Never got into the 360 Kinect either.

4K gaming has been capable on PC for some time and I can tell you that the resolution benefits are most beneficial in titles that require better draw distance and anti-aliasing, it helps in certain open world games.

Virtual Reality has a greater impact over 4K because it changes the way you perceive the game, you notice details in the world that you never did before and you can feel completely immersed in the experience. It depends on the type of games you play, the PC offers many simulator experiences for VR.