Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

brettyboy1982
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Nov 2018, 3:45 am

They say this game is great for anybody on the spectrum well it didn't stop me I'm 36 years old here is a few pictures buildings I've made :D

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 9:43 pm

There's no pictures showing up here...

Anyway, I'm a fan myself as well. Been playing it since before even chickens had been implemented.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Nov 2018, 10:47 am

My girlfriend played it for a while but it looked boring & pointless to me. I think I lack the imagination for it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

jikijiki53
Raven
Raven

08 Nov 2018, 1:56 pm

I used to play Minecraft for about 4 years. I used to not like the game at first because I didn't like the retro style graphics but the more I thought about it weeks later after playing it more and more, the concepts from the game itself are what got me interested in it. I remembered playing on servers, playing with friends, playing with mods. It was a whole lot of fun. I'm still taking a long break from it but I might be going back soon only because there are a lot of changes that have occurred within the vanilla game. The mods, however, I'm not sure yet.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 5:41 pm

I like to play it with friends, but it's kind of boring to play alone.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind getting the 3DS version, it's fairly cheap on eBay.

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 4:50 am

It soothes my aspie soul to grind along for mats.. it thrills me when I do some factions.. I enjoy the spot socializing.
I like the fact even my least powerful rig can play it adequately;
I can go FTB or straight Vanilla and still have fun.
Plus I can play with my son and cousin. My fiance who hooked me.. stopped playing (the awol traitor!)

Nist498
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 12:46 am

I've been getting into as of late trying to learn and implement various red stone contraptions and the like. I'm not much of a builder but I am one of those people that can plot out immense interconnected systems.

All magic comes with a price! - Rumplestiltskin

caffeinekid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jan 2019, 3:05 pm

I'm 48 and I enjoy Minecraft. I play it with my 7 year old son and also alone. It can be very soothing to mine or just go for a wander around.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 6:20 am

I love Minecraft, been playing it since Alpha. For the last few years though I've only played the modified version for VR, Vivecraft. It's fun playing it multiplayer and being able to communicate non verbally through movements, something unique to the mod. Plus it has other interactions you'd expect with VR, such as actual physical interaction with objects, swimming, climbing, two handed archery, etc.

feeli0
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2019, 3:54 pm

I love playing Minecraft. Have been playing since wheat was in the game but not hunger. Can't remember what version that was. I am playing the snapshots in single player ATM and spawned in a village with another village close by, so a cool spawn.

I have a realm but haven't played on it for a while as my grandkids are now too cool for grandma... and I won't open it up for random griefers etc.

Of all the games I have played, Minecraft is still my top game for relaxation and enjoyment.

AQ 40
ASD-1

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2019, 8:15 pm

feeli0 wrote:
I love playing Minecraft. Have been playing since wheat was in the game but not hunger. Can't remember what version that was. I am playing the snapshots in single player ATM and spawned in a village with another village close by, so a cool spawn.

I have a realm but haven't played on it for a while as my grandkids are now too cool for grandma... and I won't open it up for random griefers etc.

Of all the games I have played, Minecraft is still my top game for relaxation and enjoyment.

Oh geez, I remember those days. And then I also remember the community flipping out (as they always do) when hunger was implemented.

Also yes the new snapshots have been great. I've been playing the Windows 10 version recently myself... I'm on my laptop and got tired of the Java edition being nuttier than a box of squirrels. The Win 10 edition runs WONDERFULLY. My view distance is 50+ chunks! The Java edition nearly detonates at like 16! Yet this runs smooth as butter.

The snapshots are there too, fortunately. But I haven't gotten around to the newest content just yet in my current world. Been mostly just been establishing a base and exploring the local area.

I've been super impressed by the whole aquatic update. Since the very freaking beginning, one thing I REALLY wanted to see in the game was more ocean content. But for the longest time, it was just... squids. And later, the temples. And that was it. But now, I'm loving it. There's so much content there now. And finally YOU CAN FREAKING SWIM. No more of that slow, awkward bobbing up and down!

I've also discovered how dangerous the Drowned can be. I wasn't expecting them to be quite that harsh. Or that numerous.

Next thing I want: A Nether update. I like the Nether in a general sense, but it could use more. I still remember when it was first introduced and was an absolutely brutal place. Ghasts appeared in swarms! I miss that intensity there.

feeli0
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2019, 8:27 pm

Misery wrote:
feeli0 wrote:

Oh geez, I remember those days. And then I also remember the community flipping out (as they always do) when hunger was implemented.

Also yes the new snapshots have been great. I've been playing the Windows 10 version recently myself... I'm on my laptop and got tired of the Java edition being nuttier than a box of squirrels. The Win 10 edition runs WONDERFULLY. My view distance is 50+ chunks! The Java edition nearly detonates at like 16! Yet this runs smooth as butter.

The snapshots are there too, fortunately. But I haven't gotten around to the newest content just yet in my current world. Been mostly just been establishing a base and exploring the local area.

I've been super impressed by the whole aquatic update. Since the very freaking beginning, one thing I REALLY wanted to see in the game was more ocean content. But for the longest time, it was just... squids. And later, the temples. And that was it. But now, I'm loving it. There's so much content there now. And finally YOU CAN FREAKING SWIM. No more of that slow, awkward bobbing up and down!

I've also discovered how dangerous the Drowned can be. I wasn't expecting them to be quite that harsh. Or that numerous.

Next thing I want: A Nether update. I like the Nether in a general sense, but it could use more. I still remember when it was first introduced and was an absolutely brutal place. Ghasts appeared in swarms! I miss that intensity there.

Ha ha you sound like you would have enjoyed Vech's Super Hostile series. I can only take a bit of danger before running for my life...

I must try the Windows 10 version on my laptop, does it have to purchased again?

AQ 40
ASD-1

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2019, 8:33 pm

feeli0 wrote:

Ha ha you sound like you would have enjoyed Vech's Super Hostile series. I can only take a bit of danger before running for my life...

I must try the Windows 10 version on my laptop, does it have to purchased again?

Nope.

If you bought the Java edition that long ago, you don't have to pay for the Win 10 edition ever. It just is added to your account as a sort of bonus. You'll be able to install it wherever, just like with the Java edition. I never had to pay for it either, since I've been playing since the days when zombies dropped feathers because chickens didn't exist.

Of course, this is assuming you can make it through the labyrinthine mess that is the Microsoft Store. It took me 4 hours to get the game installed on here. And ALL of that was dealing with that awful store... even though I didn't need to actually BUY it. Hopefully you wont have to deal with all that nonsense.

Nist498
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 1:31 pm

Yeah whoever designed the Microsoft apps store ought to be slapped. The search option doesn't work at all so it doesn't surprise me that many of the games on the store have their own store fronts to purchase DLC on.

All magic comes with a price! - Rumplestiltskin

Edwardos
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Feb 2019, 12:51 am

Wow, such a recent thread!

I've been playing Minecraft for longer than anyone I know and I love this game. Or rather, I view it as several different games with an amount of cultural associations between 0 and 4, and I love a good percentage of those two categories. This didn't change much, even after the multiple tumor-like server dramas I've been through, some of which were simply people who didn't understand what I was.

This game helped me out a lot, got me many friends, bragging rights, brain cells, escapes from the worst of reality, and a whoooole lot of amazing night dreams which have partly been recorded or written down. Despite the major aspect of horror throughout its history, my dreams have infrequently been scary. Mostly they've just been beautiful. But it's not fully as exciting for me anymore.

I've been incredibly disappointed with a lot of new features and practically all of how YouTube has been representing the game (other than a few exceptions, which I'll get to), but with server-side "vanilla" enhancements and good friends I can still enjoy current versions basically as much as I ever did.

Ever since Phantoms and the removal of Customized, I've been growing increasingly disinterested in default singleplayer, to the point where I can play it for a fraction of the many hours I used to play MC versions for, and then discovered that I could still play Minecraft Alpha for many hours at a time. In singleplayer.

Yeah, I know, basic as hecking heck, and way behind in the past, but Alpha wasn't just smaller, it was different. Mojang added a lot of features after 2011 but they removed a lot of features. And changed balancing, gameplay, terrain, and graphics significantly. In mind and spirit, the old style is just what I prefer. It's enough that I can live without the many vital quality of life changes added since late 2011. I could probably do the same in Minecraft 1.12, but I was doing that for like 19 months and would rather not.

And now to YouTube... well, the dominant server and cultural town square of Minecraft culture in Minecraft videos is Hermitcraft. Not everybody is like Hermitcraft, but I've looked around in a lot of places and found very few people who don't basically behave the same way. Family-friendly and strangely-non-gristled.
Now, at long last I've found the best way to describe why I can't watch them with the best possible readers. As non-controversially as possible, I'd like to say...

Hermitcraft is played by some of the least-autistic Minecraft players ever.
Yeah, I know, they're much more popular than me and people like them, but before they came to the center of attention, there were thousands of smaller servers worth watching and Mindcrack. The biggest difference is that depending on who you watched, Mindcrack videos could be more or less adult-oriented than others or more or less quirky-weirdo than others. I just don't love Hermitcraft. I love servers that make me wonder if the players are autistic!
The Mindcrackers, in no necessarily-correct order, got bored of Minecraft and stopped hanging out with their #1 cool guy quirky friend, Old Man Willakers.
Now I have lots to say about Old Man Willakers, but I'll skip that part. Bottom line is there are too many things I love about him for me to ever hate him or even feel bored of him.

Mindcrack dying was a huge gut punch to me, even if I didn't realize it at first. It was one of the last surviving servers to not be family-friendly. Diversity is way down nowadays, and I can't stand family-friendly MC. I'm 23 years old and would rather hear dirty jokes once or twice a week. It's good for people who like FFMCVs, but terrible for everybody who would rather not watch 'em. Hermitcraft also is not something I watch, because I'll just be honest, it feels like watching chatbots.

Eventually I decided I should just buy hosting and create my own whitelisted server, which worked out better than any other similar venture. Oddly enough, one friend of mine says that the very reason he got into let's playing the game (which is beneficial to his life) was basically my inclusion of him in the server and an appearance in a video I made - and I didn't even know I caused it at the time.

Today I sit down in front of a Wrongplanet thread form, with an obscure Minecraft channel translucently linked to a good friend's channel and all of his friends, a downright encyclopedic knowledge of all things Java Minecraft, and a huge dry spell of videos of my favourite sandbox which I can actually sustain watching. The most likely videos I'll ever be able to watch about Minecraft from 2016 on are from the handful of players who I've met IRL and online.

As my good friend says, "It seems like your time with Minecraft is quite bittersweet!" which is true.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 7:17 pm

Edwardos wrote:
Wow, such a recent thread!

I've been playing Minecraft for longer than anyone I know and I love this game. Or rather, I view it as several different games with an amount of cultural associations between 0 and 4, and I love a good percentage of those two categories. This didn't change much, even after the multiple tumor-like server dramas I've been through, some of which were simply people who didn't understand what I was.

This game helped me out a lot, got me many friends, bragging rights, brain cells, escapes from the worst of reality, and a whoooole lot of amazing night dreams which have partly been recorded or written down. Despite the major aspect of horror throughout its history, my dreams have infrequently been scary. Mostly they've just been beautiful. But it's not fully as exciting for me anymore.

I've been incredibly disappointed with a lot of new features and practically all of how YouTube has been representing the game (other than a few exceptions, which I'll get to), but with server-side "vanilla" enhancements and good friends I can still enjoy current versions basically as much as I ever did.

Ever since Phantoms and the removal of Customized, I've been growing increasingly disinterested in default singleplayer, to the point where I can play it for a fraction of the many hours I used to play MC versions for, and then discovered that I could still play Minecraft Alpha for many hours at a time. In singleplayer.

Yeah, I know, basic as hecking heck, and way behind in the past, but Alpha wasn't just smaller, it was different. Mojang added a lot of features after 2011 but they removed a lot of features. And changed balancing, gameplay, terrain, and graphics significantly. In mind and spirit, the old style is just what I prefer. It's enough that I can live without the many vital quality of life changes added since late 2011. I could probably do the same in Minecraft 1.12, but I was doing that for like 19 months and would rather not.

And now to YouTube... well, the dominant server and cultural town square of Minecraft culture in Minecraft videos is Hermitcraft. Not everybody is like Hermitcraft, but I've looked around in a lot of places and found very few people who don't basically behave the same way. Family-friendly and strangely-non-gristled.
Now, at long last I've found the best way to describe why I can't watch them with the best possible readers. As non-controversially as possible, I'd like to say...

Hermitcraft is played by some of the least-autistic Minecraft players ever.
Yeah, I know, they're much more popular than me and people like them, but before they came to the center of attention, there were thousands of smaller servers worth watching and Mindcrack. The biggest difference is that depending on who you watched, Mindcrack videos could be more or less adult-oriented than others or more or less quirky-weirdo than others. I just don't love Hermitcraft. I love servers that make me wonder if the players are autistic!
The Mindcrackers, in no necessarily-correct order, got bored of Minecraft and stopped hanging out with their #1 cool guy quirky friend, Old Man Willakers.
Now I have lots to say about Old Man Willakers, but I'll skip that part. Bottom line is there are too many things I love about him for me to ever hate him or even feel bored of him.

Mindcrack dying was a huge gut punch to me, even if I didn't realize it at first. It was one of the last surviving servers to not be family-friendly. Diversity is way down nowadays, and I can't stand family-friendly MC. I'm 23 years old and would rather hear dirty jokes once or twice a week. It's good for people who like FFMCVs, but terrible for everybody who would rather not watch 'em. Hermitcraft also is not something I watch, because I'll just be honest, it feels like watching chatbots.

Eventually I decided I should just buy hosting and create my own whitelisted server, which worked out better than any other similar venture. Oddly enough, one friend of mine says that the very reason he got into let's playing the game (which is beneficial to his life) was basically my inclusion of him in the server and an appearance in a video I made - and I didn't even know I caused it at the time.

Today I sit down in front of a Wrongplanet thread form, with an obscure Minecraft channel translucently linked to a good friend's channel and all of his friends, a downright encyclopedic knowledge of all things Java Minecraft, and a huge dry spell of videos of my favourite sandbox which I can actually sustain watching. The most likely videos I'll ever be able to watch about Minecraft from 2016 on are from the handful of players who I've met IRL and online.

As my good friend says, "It seems like your time with Minecraft is quite bittersweet!" which is true.

Wait a minute.

I've been playing this to death since long before chickens got added, and I honestly cant remember any features that were ever removed. Aside from the whole "customized" thing, which is still bloody stupid, but whatever.

I mean, seriously. Removing things that werent outright broken has never really been Mojang's thing. Why would they, when it's a sandbox game focusing on player choice and diversity of playstyle? Now, the combat itself did get altered heavily, but there's two extremely easy fixes to that: The java version has easily accessible mods for it, and the Bedrock edition (or whatever it's called, I'm not good on names) outright never received that change (and is frankly dramatically superior to the eternally wonky Java version, if you're not intending to use mods in a particular world).

Added features, on the other hand, have always been pretty much optional, which is one reason why I've never understood the community's tendency to rant angrily about them. I remember alot of threads about how potions were "ruining the game". I kept wanting to smack whoever was ranting over the head, and yell "JUST DONT USE THE BLOODY THINGS! It's a freaking sandbox game! All playstyles are viable! Ignore things that dont fit how you play the game!" I mean, hell, I couldnt care less about redstone, but that doesnt impact anything for me... I just dont use it for anything other than crafting compasses and such. It's the same with almost all features, they can be safely ignored without changing anything, or even modded out. The one big one beyond combat was hunger, but hunger makes alot of sense in a survival game.

Overall, the only change I find moderately annoying was the change to the Nether. When that originally came out it was a place of brutal difficulty... ghasts spawned in hordes, raining fiery doom on you constantly. As Notch put it, the Nether originally wasnt intended to be a destination, but instead a place you used for faster travel through the Overworld.

At the same time though, I can see why it was toned down. For many players, it was waaaaayyyyyyy too much, even if they didnt intend to actually stick around the place.

Now that all being said, I'll be honest and say that I dont quite grasp the other stuff. Like multiplayer: I hate it in *every* game. I'll deal with it in fighting games, because the AI is always too braindead to offer a challenge, but outside of those... that's a big fat "nope" for me. So that stuff is over my head. Like, I know of Mindcrack's existence, and similar things, but avoided them like the plague, so the details escape me.

Same with Youtube, in a way. I use Youtube ALOT, but it never, ever has any effect on my enjoyment of any game. They're two entirely seperate entities, after all. I've certainly watched alot of Minecraft content, but yeah, it doesnt change the way I look at the thing. Why should it?

That being said, a general lack of videos now was expected. Youtubers cannot profit from sticking with older things (which sucks). Minecraft remains one of the most popular and most played games *ever*, even today, but Youtube doesnt care about that: it cares about NEW trends. Like the whole Moba thing, and the nonsense that is Fortnite. I'll never understand Fortnite. But that's a whole different topic, eh?

I dunno where I was going with any of this. I apologize if this seems a bit directionless and rambly. I always get in that state of mind when the weather is like this. Bah.

It's interesting to see differing views on the whole thing though.