Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Lucian Hodoboc
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Dec 2018, 11:39 am

Personally, I'm a big fan of strategy video games, from real time strategy to turn-based strategy. I enjoyed the Age Of Empires and Starcraft series, as well as series such as Commandos, Desperados and Shadow Tactics: Blades Of The Shogun.

Which are your favorite strategy video games?

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 12:35 am

I've got a few.

Personal favorite by far is AI War. Easily the deepest and most complex RTS I've ever seen. And the AI itself is incredible, particularly since they dont try to make it behave like an actual player (which is why the AI in most RTS games is dumber than a sack of hammers). The game isnt for everyone and has a learning curve from hell, but those that do play it often get THOUSANDS of hours out of it. Even despite a total lack of PvP. This is one game that doesnt need that.

Some others:

Particle Fleet
Creeper World 3
Infested Planet
Frozen Synapse 2
Into The Breach
Solar Settlers
Dungeon of the Endless (considering that this is a mashup of like 8 different genres, it's hard to tell if it counts...)
Gemcraft (the version on Steam)
Anno 2070

There's more than that but those are the ones that come to mind.

I also tend to play *alot* of roguelikes/lites and whatever, which often have MANY strategy/tactical elements to them (though it depends on which game, of course).

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 9:37 am

Warcraft 1 & 2

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 2:29 am

For turn based games, Jagged Alliance 2 is an old favourite, but I didn't enjoy the micromanagement late game. The new XCOM games are similar, but streamline it enough to make it more enjoyable. I'm also a fan of the Fire Emblem and Advance Wars series.

As far as RTS, I enjoyed Warcraft 2 & 3.

For 4X, I'm a fan of the Civilisation games, and I also liked Sins of A Solar Empire's mix of 4X and RTS.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 6:25 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
For 4X, I'm a fan of the Civilisation games, and I also liked Sins of A Solar Empire's mix of 4X and RTS.

I always really wanted to like these, but.... ugh. My problem with them is always that the AI is dumber than a sack of hammers. It's just too easy. Granted, alot of strategy games are like that... any time an AI is trying to play similar to an actual person, it never ends well.

I still have yet to find a 4X game that can hold my attention much. Not for a lack of trying, either...

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 7:09 pm

True, the games only get challenging by raising the difficulty, which only gives the AI insane bonuses rather than making them play better. I find them satisfying to play in multiplayer too though. But it's hard to find time to actually play a game as they're generally extraordinarily long games even on the quickest settings.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 7:28 pm

I'm really like the Fire Emblem games (well, at least the ones that are internationally released.) I also play this game called SRPG Pocket Lord, which is on Android tablet, which is pretty much LIKE Fire Emblem, but somewhat different.

I'm kinda pretty bad at RTS games, though I didn't mind playing them, like Age of Empires and Tzar: Burben of the Crown.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 9:34 pm

I used to play Starcraft Broodwar, which IMO the most competitive, properly balanced RTS ever made. I used to be really good at it, played it for 8 years, but I tried playing the remastered a couple months ago and I suck now. Lost all my dexterity in my hands.