Are there any games that involve criticism?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Sep 2020, 5:33 pm

I'm trying to find a game where players are criticized or receive negative feedback but I haven't been able to find any. The reason I'm looking is to help practice handling criticism better.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 5:41 pm

Well...there is "snaps", or "playing the dozens". Not a board nor video game, but a game in which you trade verbal joke insults with the other person.

Associated with Black street culture it might be an aquired taste for many. But heck...it might toughen a person up.

Robbie Sallos
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Sep 2020, 7:43 pm

Hm. Off the top of my head, Pokemon Snap has Professor Oak grade your photos at the end of each level, with comments about size and placement of the subjects. Is that the kind of thing?

XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within and XCOM 2 have the Spokesman grade and comment on your performance each month.

Various light gun games such as House of the Dead and Point Blank record things like your accuracy in percentages.

Spiritfarer's characters will comment on their likes/dislikes/intolerances depending on what you feed them.

Radio buddies in Metal Gear Solid V will encourage or criticise your tactics and actions at various points. ("Why are you leaving the target?" "Great mission, boss." "We lost the trail, you'll have to find him manually" etc)

The Phoenix Wright games have some trial and error comments by characters as well as conversations based on examining your surroundings and such.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2020, 2:39 pm

If you are not a Silent Assassin in Hitman: Silent Assassin, then you won't get the rank of Silent Assassin.

Everyone's a critic, it would seem... :|

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2020, 8:07 pm

I'd like a game that triggers people who are sensitive to criticism so they will get upset. Preferably criticism that makes them feel rejected. Stuff like, you failed, you're a loser, no one likes you, you made another mistake, you're stupid, etc.

The reason is that sensitivity to criticism is often due to classical conditioning. People get upset because their mind associates criticism with rejection. If people are criticized enough times and don't feel rejected, it can help break that association and make them no longer sensitive to criticism. That's what worked for me and I'd like to help other people who may not be comfortable seeking out criticism from people and learning how to think about it differently. A game seems like an ideal solution.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2020, 8:15 pm

The Henry Stickmin series. :mrgreen:

Aspie Alien
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Sep 2020, 2:28 am

The classic Space Quest series could actually be pretty harsh (albeit in a humourous fashion)- they were some of the old-school Sierra Adventure games, and were actively trying to kill you (occasionally in ludicrously unfair ways). And when you did die, you got a snarky message from the developers- I think the one that stuck with me most was "Ha, ha, you died because you were dumb."