Need help with video game addiction

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Maxx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2007, 12:16 pm

I haven't been on wrongplanet for a while, and the reason is because of video games. I have taken to playing them every single bit of free time I get, and the habit has carried me into playing almost all night every night. It's not just one certain game...I have become addicted to many games over the past years. My dad suggested I get help, but I have refused because assuming I find a group that can help me, they will more than likely assume the usual stereotypes that a bunch of video game players deal with. That all gamers play the extremely violent video games and that they will most likely become killers, and that is absolutely not me. I've tried to set boundaries on how much I play and when I play it, but I keep pushing those lines back while I'm playing. How am I supossed to stop? I can't get rid of the games because my brother likes them too. If i stop playing, I'll just get bored out of my mind because there is absolutely nothing for me to do that compares with games. That includes spending time with family (all we do is watch tv) and studying (I hate it and have no motivation outside of school). Turns out the only good thing about video games is that is gives my friends and I a way to connect.

But yeah, what am I supposed to do? I feel like I'm out of options, and will never break out of this spell.

shaggydaddy
Toucan
Toucan

05 Dec 2007, 12:35 pm

huge game addict here.

A huge part of how I control my gaming has to do with which games I choose.

For instance, I cannot play games like World of Warcraft because it is hard to log out and there are "commitment periods" where once you start an instance/quest/etc you MUST continue on for X hours till it is over.

I will not play counterstrike for instance, because of spawn/level reload times, but Team Fortress is fine because you can pick it up, play, then ditch it all on your own schedule.

I ONLY play games that I can set down with 10-30 seconds notice.

I also strive never to buy "new" games because I find myself stuck in some sort of hype/self challenge to get to the end at all costs before I hear about it. I try to buy games a few months after they come out... it also helps me avoid crap games that happen to have good advertising, because you realize they are crap before you buy them.

I also try to limit my games to 1-2 at a time. If I am working on Zelda Twilight Princess I will not pick up Metroid Prime 3 and Halo 3 at the same time... because I get stuck in some campaign for equal play time, and instead of spending 1 hour on 1 game, I spend 1 hour each on 3 games.

What games are you currently stuck on?

Because games are a sensory organizing and (I feel) therapeutic influence on me, I never want to "give them up", but like all good things, I have to have my limits.

I don't set up my limits in hours or minutes or even levels... I try to set things up for myself in such a way that "limits" which I will invariably break are not necessary.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2007, 1:11 pm

I know how you feel about the addiction and the sterio type thing. Ok, so many boys play games, that doesn't mean that girls don't play either. Not to mention non-gamers want to look us like we are incompetent, lazy slobs. They should tell that to the 8+ million that play online who pay $60 a month.

I have always been addicted to, and have much the same problem with how much time I need in a game. I don't know how to quit either, since it's been a way of life for me since age 3 or so. (not kidding) Warcraft is bad because it never seems to end. Havn't gotten to level 70 yet. As for instances... ehem.. in my oppinion, if a person doesn't have at least two hours that he can spend in the instance, then don't bother.

It takes two or more hours to finish an instance, even if a much higher level is helping with it. Been there. The part where I have instance quests, and get nothing but days and days of people grouping and degrouping me because they didn't set enough time to get through it all. Thus, getting us absolutly nowhere. That sucks, so I can't blame someone for setting "commitment periods", to be perfectly honest.

Last edited by LiendaBalla on 05 Dec 2007, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bigbang
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Dec 2007, 1:14 pm

I'm not the worst game addict, but a great computer addict. For me it is almost a reflex to start my computer early in the day, as I know I never get bored when I'm in front if it. I either play games, listen to music, browse Wikipedia or other web pages, create music with a midi utility... as I say I can never get bored and that is my main issue.

A few advices I can give to reduce your time in front of the computer are as follow :

1- Try not to buy all and every game you might be interested with (this is the advice shaggydaddy also gave). Controlling and forcing you to not go buy games is way easier than resisting playing once you have them installed on your computer. For example, I never buy any of those massive-multiplayer games as I know I'd be addicted with them and could hardly stop paying them.

2- Focus and find advantages not playing constently might bring you. You might already have some in mind if you consider you have an addiction. For me, not playing too much on the computer gives me more time to practice guitar, read books, do some exercises, clean my appartment and have a better insight on my general situation (as my aspie issues can make me really absorbed in computer gaming and I might loose sight of everything else). Once you can come up with a list, playing games might become a little less enjoyable (at least it is for me) as it can bring up some kind of necessary guilt. Also and by the same token, whenever you will not be playing and doing something else might make you feel more comfortable and proud of yourself, rather than being anxious about not playing.

3- Try to break the habit. By this I mean try to think a bit before starting playing : is it the right time to play, is there something else you should do instead, how many time are you going to play? I find these questions useful as they force me to have a more realistic and convenient gaming schedule rather than just sitting in front of a game by reflex and play until I get bored (which can be a very very long time).

Hope I have helped...

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 4:49 am

Don't worry, I'm addicted to games too. I've been trying to cut back though so I have some time to go on the internet. That way, my games will last longer. I've already beaten 4 dungeons in Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and completed Chozo Ruins in Metroid Prime, and I only got both of those games recently.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 8:48 pm

I'm addicted to games, but does it look like I care?

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 1:31 am

try switching up your gameplay eg give tetris another go or something oldschool like that.
install a timer to control how long you play at a time or something.

Helek_Aphel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2007, 6:24 am

From what I've read, it is impossible to be addicted to video games.
What seems like addiction to video games is actually the pursuit of mastery.
Typically, once you completely clear a game, you won't be as motivated to play it.
Just don't get any new games, and eventually, you'll have nothing to worry about.

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 1:51 pm

Good Point. Games with a Save anywhere feature help set limits.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 6:16 pm

http://www.smithandjones.nl/ -that center was shown on the news a long while ago for it's help with gaming addicts,worth trying if it's really bad.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 9:24 am

Research has proven though that games can be good for you. They improve hand to eye co-ordination.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2007, 8:12 pm

I don't even have any games to play. I must be lucky.

Ioini
Raven
Raven

18 Dec 2007, 8:27 pm

The entire Halo series is seriously addicting. Damn that new DLC for Halo 3! Damn it to hell!

Also if any of you played Mugen and if you like 2-d fighting games with any character in the whole known world is in it, then it's pretty addicting.

I'm slowly stopping to breaking my addiction and I'm making good progress.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2007, 1:10 am

My addiction will die, and re kindle on Christmas day.

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2007, 6:16 am

When you get Phantom Hourglass?

I'll probably get quite a few more chances to play games on Christmas day. My brother's getting Super Mario Galaxy and Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga and I'm getting Metroid Zero Mission. That's three games to keep us both occupied.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2007, 8:01 pm

TheAPERSON wrote:
When you get Phantom Hourglass?

That's if mum even got it for me.