Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Apr 2008, 9:31 pm

Any MTG players here?.
I've stopped buying cards and going to FNM almost a decade ago but I play for free on mws sometimes.
I try to make competitive rogue decks.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 9:36 pm

Try it but wasn't me lol.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 11:05 pm

I sucked really bad at it, and stopped really enjoying it sometime around Tempest. Ice Age and Fallen Empires (especially the latter) I have fond memories of...

TheRani
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Apr 2008, 11:17 pm

I played it a lot in the 90's when it first came out when I was in college. Then a bunch of M:TG wannabes came along, and the few acquaintances I had who enjoyed playing Magic with me all switched to other games (Jyhad, Illuminati, Rage, Pokemon, etc.), so I didn't have anybody left to play Magic with. I ended up giving away around $300 worth of cards to some kid in grade school. I never really regained interest in trading card games after that. By that point I had gotten obsessed with origami polyhedrons, musical instruments, and bead weaving. :lol:

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2008, 4:33 pm

twoshoots wrote:
I sucked really bad at it, and stopped really enjoying it sometime around Tempest.

Tempest implied a rather unforgiving environment with all those speedy aggressive decks - it went straight against creativity. I was pretty annoyed by it.

TheRani wrote:
I played it a lot in the 90's when it first came out when I was in college. Then a bunch of M:TG wannabes came along, and the few acquaintances I had who enjoyed playing Magic with me all switched to other games.

I left around 2000 as I began running into younger and younger players that would scoff at me for not playing the latest netdeck and whatnot. . . There were some decent guys at FNM but I didn't feel comfortable anymore overall. I still have an insane amount of cards I bought between Tempest-Prophecy (end of MM block).
I also tried Pokemon a little bit.
I tried returning during Kamigawa and quit again - only on the mws software this time.
Then again during Planar Chaos and kind of quit a couple months ago.
The attitudes of a lot of players keep alienating me over and over. :(

As hard as it already is to both innovate and win; it is even harder to have others accept this difference.

I have no qualms with the game itself other than it seems to me that there's too strong a money-milking element behind card design and less and less effort is being put in designing cards to make the game more "perfect" and balanced - indeed quite the contrary.

sinapp
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2008, 10:14 pm

I played it some years ago with some friends from school, but it was mostly for fun as it was too expensive for me to make a competitive deck. I left around Eight Edition and Mirrodin I think.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 10:18 pm

i enjoy playing it and i think the resurgence in the last couple years of good cards and card design is cool....but i still can't find myself going out enough to go buy cards and build decks.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 2:08 am

I used to play, started when I got a deck of Revised Edition for Christmas in 1994, so I started with Revised and Fallen Empires and missed all the first sets with the cards that are worth anything now. Played off and on for nearly 10 years, but the last time I actually played was the Legions prerelease, Everyone I knew that played had either quit or moved.

victorvndoom
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2008, 3:41 am

i am in a club that plays FNM but i dont play FNM.I only play with all the cards i have. Recent series are also in my collection. each time a series is released i buy the constructed theme packs

Afroman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Apr 2008, 1:53 pm

I play MTG

My main deck is filled with the gnome like Kithkin :D

Daesmodalus
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2008, 6:06 am

Same here.

My main deck has a lot of slivers and sliver-related artifacts.

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Apr 2008, 8:41 pm

sinapp wrote:
I played it some years ago with some friends from school, but it was mostly for fun as it was too expensive for me to make a competitive deck. I left around Eight Edition and Mirrodin I think.

skafather84 wrote:
i enjoy playing it and i think the resurgence in the last couple years of good cards and card design is cool....but i still can't find myself going out enough to go buy cards and build decks.

Yeah, I don't actually buy cards anymore. Makes sense to have left during Mirrodin as the environment at large was ruined by one "competitive"* deck. I wasn't around, though; I left during Prophecy for varying reasons but it turns out it's considered to have been a pretty bad expansion as well. . .

* That Mirrodin deck is called Ravager Affinity and it's still around (in Extended format) to this day. :?

eelektrik wrote:
Everyone I knew that played had either quit or moved.

I started during the Tempest block. The people I used to play with have long moved on but I don't exactly miss them - one of them, the one that had taught me the basics, turned out to be a cheater!. :lol:

victorvndoom wrote:
each time a series is released i buy the constructed theme packs

I used to do that too. Not sure why I like the theme packs so much but I started directly with those.

Afroman wrote:
My main deck is filled with the gnome like Kithkin :D

Daesmodalus wrote:
My main deck has a lot of slivers and sliver-related artifacts.

hehe. . . I'm not too good in T2. So far I've come up with some black-red control and some mono-green aggro stuff not much unlike the competitive "warrior" decks. I'm kind of waiting for the new expansion to be released before giving it a try again.
BTW: Turns out they are re-printing Reflecting Pool (which I happen to have in real life) - I thought Reflecting Pool and similarly old cards were in a "protected list" impling that they would never ever be reprinted. :(

I played some Extended last night.

victorvndoom
Toucan
Toucan

07 Apr 2008, 3:37 am

why i got the theme packs is because there are lands in and ofc rares

the other rares i get on sell in the store (they are stored in a special sell map), i never get them online on ebay

ps i stopped playing legends of 5 rings card game so i could invest more money in magic but now the boss of the shop is stopped playing magic :(

ps most people play wednesday magic in my club but since i am already three days in the shop a fourth day is bit off and it is in the evening , then i watch tv = routine

for those who stopped playing magic ebay is a good place to sell them

aaronrey
Toucan
Toucan

10 Apr 2008, 11:36 am

my speciality was the blue/white counter deck that annoyed the people i played with. the only creatures i had was the lands that can turn into creatures. i just countered everything my opponent threw at me, then after he's out of creatures, i turned my lands into creatures and won.

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2008, 3:10 am

I'm myself a discard freak - while I've tried to grow out of that as a player the deck I like playing the most is still my own brew of discard; it does beat a nice portion of the current extended metagame.

The problem with mws is that players either:
- quit when they lose
- quit after they win the first game
- are downright hostile
- might ignore the rules
- combinations of the above

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 4:00 am

Whisperer wrote:
sinapp wrote:

skafather84 wrote:

Yeah, I don't actually buy cards anymore. Makes sense to have left during Mirrodin as the environment at large was ruined by one "competitive"* deck. I wasn't around, though; I left during Prophecy for varying reasons but it turns out it's considered to have been a pretty bad expansion as well. . .

* That Mirrodin deck is called Ravager Affinity and it's still around (in Extended format) to this day. :?

heh, i left waaaaaaaay before that. i think it was around the time of 7th...starting around invasion (kinda backed out of it).

time spiral was a good set, though.