Video games that should not (in your opinion) have succeeded

Page 4 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 7:48 am

ThunderFox wrote:
I've noticed a lot of people don't like First Person Shooters. That's probably because the FPSs are a matter of taste, like action movies. Even which ones you like and don't like are a matter of taste.

I've noticed that too. I seem to be one of the few people on this forum who prefers FPS's. Most of the gamers here prefer RPG's (which is fine.) I wonder if it's because most Aspies like there to be more "puzzle-solving" than action. I have nothing against the RPG genre, and I can understand why a lot of people are into it, but it just doesn't interest me very much. And what's strange is that my preference for single-player FPS games is due in part to my AS... I never play online, and I don't like too much "social interaction" with NPC's or having to be responsible for them, because some of my social anxiety from the real world bleeds into my gaming... that's one reason why I can't get into RPG's. However, I don't like all shooters, and there are some which I won't play.

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 8:07 am

BTW, Le_Samourai, thanks for recommending Painkiller to me. I finally got around to playing it, and I loved it! I wish more FPS's had that level of action and interesting enemies/environments.

HD3H
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 8:49 am

Prey the most boring game ever... 8)

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 7:48 pm

[quote="Mage"]I don't get the appeal of first-person shooters. From Doom to Halo 3, I just don't get it. It's nothing at all like shooting a real gun. I grew up on a farm and learned how to use a .22, and could shoot a bullet through the neck of a bowling pin from 100 yards, but yet I can't shoot a damn thing in a FPS. Making Shadowrun into a FPS really pissed me off too, I loved it as an action RPG.

I actually don't play a whole lot of games though, so maybe I'm not the best one to judge what is really good or bad. I play maybe 3 games a year, but I play them til my eyes bleed. I never did learn moderation.[/quote

A good FPS in my opinion is Call of Duty 4

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 9:22 pm

Mage wrote:
I don't get the appeal of first-person shooters. From Doom to Halo 3, I just don't get it. It's nothing at all like shooting a real gun. I grew up on a farm and learned how to use a .22, and could shoot a bullet through the neck of a bowling pin from 100 yards, but yet I can't shoot a damn thing in a FPS. Making Shadowrun into a FPS really pissed me off too, I loved it as an action RPG.

Don't let Jack Thompson know about this...

Le_Samourai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2008, 11:12 pm

Cyberman wrote:
BTW, Le_Samourai, thanks for recommending Painkiller to me. I finally got around to playing it, and I loved it! I wish more FPS's had that level of action and interesting enemies/environments.

Glad to be of service. I don't know if you tried this all ready, but you should try Serious Sam as well. Its another great game that plays in the tradition of the old school FPS like Doom

Back on topic, there was another game that I thought was overrated; Max Payne.

See, I'm a huge fan of John Woo's early hong kong films, so I was eager to play a game that replicated that kind of action. I came away disappointed. Sure, the story was good, but the gameplay could've been miles better. The gun fights never felt thrilling to me. Sure, diving in the air in slow-motion is awesome, but I never got a rush from the gunfights and it didn't feel intense. Seriously, watch any of Woo's early hong kong stuff like The Killer or Hard-Boiled and then compare the action scenes to the action in the game. It just lacks the punch or carnage that you get in a John Woo flick, which is what the game was striving for, and was done better in games like Dead to Rights and Stranglehold.

Not to mention that it had some of the cheapest baddies I ever fought in a game. You shoot a baddie at point blank range with a shotgun, and he just shrugs it off, and yet one or two gunshots is all it takes to kill you. It doesn't add to the challenge. It just makes it annoying.

dbzgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2008, 5:26 pm

"Kingdom Hearts": It seems like the creators of it were trying to make an overly sweet video game for older kids; if I was a toddler, I'd like it, but overly sweet movies, characters, such as "Disney", and other things like those sicken me now, so I can't stand it. Yecch.

"Grand Theft Auto": It should have been called, "Obnoxious Criminal-With-No-Moral-or-Ethical-Standards Simulator".

"Disney's" "Spectrobes": It seems to be an overly sweet, made-for-very-young-kids-not-fun ", very bad "Pokemon" clone, and I'm still obsessed with "Pokemon" cartoons and games, so I like the "Pokemon"clone games.

SPARTAN-119
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Sep 2008, 12:39 pm

Have to agree with you there, dbzgirl, Kingdom Hearts was the product of Square-Enix selling out to Disney. With all the childish elements, I don't know how it's popular with the older audience. And don't get me stared on the Keyblade........ How is that supposed to be a weapon?!?!

Also agree with you on GTA. Mind you I AM an avid shooter game player (obviously, my name is a Halo reference), but I prefer games where the targets are Nazis or terrorist, or aliens or somebody who deserves what they get, not innocenat civilians.

Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 5:33 pm

All of the Halo series.

Just throw in lots and lots of gun violence, decent graphics and the ability to shoot other people will amuse any feeble mind for hours.

Not me.

Starrsy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 11:31 am

I Dont If This Game Succeeded Or Not, But I Think A 360 FPS War Game Named Hour Of Victory Was Completely Rubbish. Utter, Terrible Nonsense. Correct Me If Im Wrong, But In My Opinion, This Game Was Designed As A JOKE.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 11:57 am

Kingdom Hearts and Folklore.

And other RPGs that are similar, like the newer Final Fantasies, etc. I think they could do so much more, but they just use the same old same old with little adjustments and different graphics and it's BORING.

The Sims. Command & Conquer. And Gran Turismo.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

SPARTAN-119
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Oct 2008, 7:27 pm

Cyberman wrote:
ThunderFox wrote:
I've noticed a lot of people don't like First Person Shooters. That's probably because the FPSs are a matter of taste, like action movies. Even which ones you like and don't like are a matter of taste.

I've noticed that too. I seem to be one of the few people on this forum who prefers FPS's. Most of the gamers here prefer RPG's (which is fine.) I wonder if it's because most Aspies like there to be more "puzzle-solving" than action. I have nothing against the RPG genre, and I can understand why a lot of people are into it, but it just doesn't interest me very much. And what's strange is that my preference for single-player FPS games is due in part to my AS... I never play online, and I don't like too much "social interaction" with NPC's or having to be responsible for them, because some of my social anxiety from the real world bleeds into my gaming... that's one reason why I can't get into RPG's. However, I don't like all shooters, and there are some which I won't play.

I think the same way as you, though I do play online a signifcant amount, I almost like single player as much as multiplayer. The other thing I like about shooters is realism. I mean the turn based combat and level systems in some RPGs is laughable! In real life, you can shoot at the same time as your enemy and the deadliest special operations soldier can still be killed by a lucky shot fired by a complete novice. Also, what part of "enough f***ing Tolkien clones do RPGs not get?

Starrsy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 6:03 am

dbzgirl wrote:
"Kingdom Hearts": It seems like the creators of it were trying to make an overly sweet video game for older kids; if I was a toddler, I'd like it, but overly sweet movies, characters, such as "Disney", and other things like those sicken me now, so I can't stand it. Yecch.

"Grand Theft Auto": It should have been called, "Obnoxious Criminal-With-No-Moral-or-Ethical-Standards Simulator".

"Disney's" "Spectrobes": It seems to be an overly sweet, made-for-very-young-kids-not-fun ", very bad "Pokemon" clone, and I'm still obsessed with "Pokemon" cartoons and games, so I like the "Pokemon"clone games.

I Agree With SPARTAN-119 That We Should Only Shoot People In Games That Deserve It, Hence Halo And CoD Are Successful, But Not All Players Of GTA Shoot The Civilians. I Drive Carefully And Quickly, As Not To Break My, Or Others, Cars, And Also Not To Mow Down Civilians. I Save The Bullets And Health For Missions Or The Bad Guys. I Disagree That It Is An "Obnoxious Criminal-With-No-Moral-or-Ethical-Standards Simulator", Because If The Character (Tommy, CJ Or Niko, Depending Which One You Play) Is An Obnoxious Criminal With No Standards, The Player MAKES THem Act That Way. So, Unless You Are Calling All Who Play GTA An Obnoxious Criminal With No Standards, That Is Kind Of Wrong.

black_legion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2008, 6:34 am

i accually belive that soul reaver should'nt have succeded i played one of the later games and the gameplay was absolutely rubbish

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 7:03 am

I would Project Gotham Raceing or just most raceing games, I realy dont see what is so good about them, they are all just remakes of the same thing where it is just kind of going fast and stuff. Though I did like Star wars ep1:podracer, that was at least different, and maybe some of the kiddier games which involve shooting things like shels or rockets at each other. I liked Kingdom hearts for its action and cool fighting, hated the cutesy things like all of the Winny the poo and how they have to act in that dopey Japanese things, much prefer more hardcore there is more wit. Maybe the DS game wont have this. As for the thing people were saying about killing cyvilians I often see that I should not hurt them but some times it is fun to just go on a rampage and be someone else. Favirout thing I did recently was running people over on the statue island with a forklift, I kind of cringe when I run people over, but at times I just want to do something and doing things like freaking people out is fun.

The halo games is about more then just decent graphics and gun violence, it is about strategy, and skill in things like moveing, aiming, driving, nerve, reflexes and dare I say team work.

Starrsy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 11:08 am

Some Racing Games Are Better Then Others. Games Like NFS: Carbon Dont Really Seem To Appeal To Me. The Feature Of Your Driver Able To Die In Canyon Duels Is Just Terrible. The Racing Games Which Do Appeal Are Ones Which Require A Bit Of Strategy And Careful Driving To Complete, But Dont Want Skills By The Bucketload. Bradleigh Has A Point About Halo Being Not About Graphics And Guns, That Game Was Rather Difficult Until I Used Strategies. As For The Graphics, Lets Just Say, Play CoD3, Then Make A Comparison To Halo.