Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2005, 10:31 pm

Anyone else tried this yet? I ended up buying this yesterday when I was at the mall with one of my dudes, we ended up playing it all night, and right now I'm on Chapter 2 Part 3 after just attaining the camp key (after facing down that chainsaw tag-team for the 'camp key') and am having a heck of a time with probably like a chain of about 10 or 12 zombies with stinger-heads.

All I've gotta say is wow, I'm really glad they changed the engine. All those freezeframe perspectives are gone, it plays a lot more like Silent Hill, and although I'm still not sure on the new content I still think the game play owns the previous Resident Evil's hands down (I'm one of those people who usually got defeated by game-event triggers rather than zombies in the previous episodes, this one guides you straight at em thank god). As for the graphics vs. game-load time also it's unbelieveable, hard to imagine just how inneficient the engines were before this.

That and does anyone have any idea how many chapters this game has? It looks huge.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2005, 10:43 pm

Oh yeah, and another thing about this one that makes me snicker - ordering the president's daughter to hide in dumpsters. Must be a guy thing :lol: .

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2005, 12:18 am

I want to get it but Im poor right now :(.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Renagade
Toucan
Toucan

07 Nov 2005, 3:35 am

I have it on gamecube, but it gave me nightmares!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2005, 6:34 am

Lol, just got to chapter 4-3. Looks like the games getting better and better as far as plot developement and the variety of stuff they're throwing at you. I also like the fact that they have the rocket-launcher for when you just don't feel like dealing out a rediculous amount of ammo (the magnum's nice too).

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2005, 11:11 am

Oh yeah I have this on GC. Got quite a few great cheesy lines in it. I love RE dialogue! Oh, and the Chicago Typewriter isn't half bad either!

...still, they need to make another game with Barry in it.

Edit: There are a few secrets too- like apparently if you look up Ashley's dress with the sniper rifle, it triggers a scene where she gets upset and calls you a pervert. I forgot to do that though, so I missed that scene. >_< There is also an extra scene with Ada if you walk back into the room you were just in after that bearded guy grabs you by the throat early in the game.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2005, 3:56 pm

Sanityisoverrated wrote:

Edit: There are a few secrets too- like apparently if you look up Ashley's dress with the sniper rifle, it triggers a scene where she gets upset and calls you a pervert.

Actually, something like that happened in Chapter 1 where she was supposed to jump down from a rooftop, I ended up accidentally raising a ladder I'd kicked down, and I guess if you're standing below her for too long or are looking up at something that she'll just say that regardless.

The only thing that's kinda bugging me about the game is the fact that the weapon's dealer is this character that no one outside of you and Ashley seem to show any awareness of. Originally when I saw the memos in the game talking about a 3rd party having unknown stake in the events, I was kinda hoping they'd explain his roll or whatever - just to add some reality back into that aspect of things. Then again I'm in the final chapter, haven't tried to beat Saddler yet, and for all I know maybe that gets explained afterwards. Lol, I'm still looking foreward to playing Ada (lol, and I wonder what Ashley'd say to her - sorry I don't swing that way?).

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2005, 4:05 pm

Its pissing me off too - youve just fought tooth and nail to get to wherever, and the weapons dealer has arrived there before you with seemingly no effort. Why can't he finish the game for you? :evil:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2005, 4:09 pm

Tom wrote:
Its pissing me off too - youve just fought tooth and nail to get to wherever, and the weapons dealer has arrived there before you with seemingly no effort. Why can't he finish the game for you? :evil:

:shugg: I guess he really could care less about all that stuff, he'd just a businessman looking to sell his wares. They don't even explain what he is though - he's like this gothic half-zombified version of Pang Tong from Dynasty Warriors.

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2005, 5:47 am

Yeah at first when I found some of those notes I thought they may be referring to him, before I realised they were talking about Luis.

I haven't tried this myself, but apparently if you kill the weapons dealer, then he stays dead in that location but is still present in all the other parts of the game... perhaps there is actually a network of multiple dealers? :P

Oh another thing that I messed up- you should really keep the Broken Butterfly and don't "upgrade" to the Killer 7. The Killer 7 is initially marginally more powerful, but once fully upgraded, the BB is FAR superior.
I did like the way there were several different handguns and stuff in this game though- so you had a choice of different ones depending on your playstyle. They all have differing strengths and uses when fully upgraded, which is nice.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2005, 10:46 am

Sanityisoverrated wrote:
Oh another thing that I messed up- you should really keep the Broken Butterfly and don't "upgrade" to the Killer 7. The Killer 7 is initially marginally more powerful, but once fully upgraded, the BB is FAR superior.

Really? I noticed that when I sold the Black Tail for the Matilda, the Blacktail maxed out at 4.5 whereas the matilda maxed out at 2.5 and gave you a 100-bullet clip on the overhaul (the machinegun feature is ok but I don't know that it's worth the power difference). So what's the max width on the BB? I did get the Killer7 and got that up to 35.0.

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2005, 12:14 am

The exclusive ability for the BB (ie the bonus ability when you max all its stats) raises the damage to 50.0
The Killer 7 sadly doesn't even get an exclusive ability. I think they probably just chucked it in last minute to advertise the game Killer 7.

There is a good FAQ on Gamefaqs which goes through all the weapons:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecub ... 35840.html
Edit: Changed the link, because it wouldn't let me direct link, but the one I meant was the "Weapon Analysis Guide"

I haven't actually even tried the Matilda yet, but I know its the same gun that Leon uses in Resident Evil 2, so probably more of a retro thing- use that with the Cop costume for old-school Leon. :)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2005, 2:00 am

Yeah, I just boosted that thing to 50.0; it was kinda fun taking out the Chapter 1 boss in 3 bullets.

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2005, 12:39 pm

The Hand Cannon is even better! ... but I haven't got the patience to go through all the stuff to unlock that... it gets really frustrating.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2005, 4:54 pm

Sanityisoverrated wrote:
The Hand Cannon is even better! ... but I haven't got the patience to go through all the stuff to unlock that... it gets really frustrating.

Lol, the best I could get was 1 star on those shooting things - evidently I'm not the best at these kinds of games. I tried Assignment Ada for the chicago typewriter but I kept running out of ammo on that too quick (shame she doesn't have a knife at least to save on some of that).

thepeaguy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Dec 2005, 8:59 am

On the Mercenaries sub-game from Resident Evil 4, what's your personal best with whatever character you play as?

Me? My best is on the Castle stage playing as Wesker. I've managed to get 146 kills and combos in a row with that character.

Here's proof if you don't believe me: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/ ... ge0010.jpg