Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

drowbot0181
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 4:04 pm

I was a HUGE fan of Fallout 1 & 2 and I do indeed "worship" them and I absolutely LOVE Fallout 3. I don't think it is Oblivion with guns. Yes, it is built on the same engine, but it is NOT a "mod". It *feels* like Fallout to me.
And the most exciting part is the the G.E.C.K. is coming out this month... YAY!
For me at least, Fallout is back and is here to stay.

Starrsy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 12:07 pm

Great game. I recently borrowed it from a friend, and i loved it. I dont think you can play a mutant, but you can have a dog. His name is dogmeat (Greatest name ever), and he helped me fight. But now, he's gone. *Sniff* As a tribute to dogmeat, whenever i kill a vicious dog, i will not eat the meat from its body. Also, the deathclaws are solid. the fatman couldnt even kill it. :O i nearly forgot. The Brotherhood of steel. My best friends.

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 12:39 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
it's a good Oblivion mod.

Bad fallout game.

The REAL Fallout 3 was never released and never will be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Buren_(Fallout)

The VAT mode in the Oblivion Fallout is not really a turned-based combat mode , it's just a kind of speed reflex (like max payne or pop)

I reckon what actually happened, was, that when Bethseda Studios were sold the rights to the single player game, they sort of... rummaged around in the back for parts, taking bits of Oblivion(including the engine :lol:) turned it into a Sci-Fi game, released it, creating an almost identical experience to Oblivion but with... guns.

mikehart18
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Dec 2008, 1:22 pm

Beatin it 3 days, ending kinda sh***y. Still a fun game.

Death_of_Pathos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2008, 3:06 pm

mikehart18 wrote:
Beatin it 3 days, ending kinda sh***y. Still a fun game.

Its pretty easy to just race to the end, but Fallout has always been in a large part a sandbox game. Not entirely mind you, but enough so that if you want to go around exploring before you find dear old dad that there is a ton of stuff to do.

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Dec 2008, 3:14 am

I haven't played the other 2 Fallout games, but so far Fallout 3 is fantastic to me! I agree it's a little overwhelming because the world is almost a bit too huge, but all in all it's awesome!

Anyways, since I'm new to the Fallout series, I was looking up clips from the old games, and I have to ask what the hell is this?!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvldBf59iE0[/youtube]

o_0

drowbot0181
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 9:41 am

Fidget wrote:
I haven't played the other 2 Fallout games, but so far Fallout 3 is fantastic to me! I agree it's a little overwhelming because the world is almost a bit too huge, but all in all it's awesome!

Anyways, since I'm new to the Fallout series, I was looking up clips from the old games, and I have to ask what the hell is this?!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvldBf59iE0[/youtube]

o_0

It is an embarassment. The Fallout Devouts are told never to speak of it... ;)

DiabloDave363
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 10:36 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
Space wrote:
I just got it... It's a pretty amazing game so far, just from the story and the amount of possibilities. Very overwhelming, but fun too :D

Is it Oblivion with guns?

thats wat many think wen they havent played. while characters and movement are really similar, its VATS that really seperates this game.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 3:17 am

I'm getting Fallout 3 next week. I've been looking forward to playing it for the last few months.

Starrsy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 4:33 am

Death_of_Pathos wrote:
mikehart18 wrote:
Beatin it 3 days, ending kinda s****y. Still a fun game.

Its pretty easy to just race to the end, but Fallout has always been in a large part a sandbox game. Not entirely mind you, but enough so that if you want to go around exploring before you find dear old dad that there is a ton of stuff to do.

Death of pathos is right. You could just rocket through to the end, But then you're missing the point of games like fallout. They're made for the free roaming, the exploring, and the finding things.

drowbot0181
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 3:38 pm

Starrsy wrote:
Death_of_Pathos wrote:
mikehart18 wrote:
Beatin it 3 days, ending kinda s****y. Still a fun game.

Death of pathos is right. You could just rocket through to the end, But then you're missing the point of games like fallout. They're made for the free roaming, the exploring, and the finding things.

Yeah, I've logged 90+ hours on my first character and haven't finished the game yet. There is sooooooo much to do in this game, I absolutely love it.

Starrsy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 5:38 am

I have some reccomentdations. When you detonate Megaton,( If you do), Go for a detenation at night or dusk. One of the great sights of this game is the view from the top of the washington monument. If you turn up at the scrapyard at the right time, you may save an old friend, Dogmeat.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 12:52 pm

Yeah the Megaton explosion is awesome, especially at night. I have a save game on the balcony of Tenpenny Tower just before detonation just so I can go back and watch this whenever it strikes my fancy. There's a place in the North-West corner of the map, I think it's called Fort Jefferson though I can't remember, but in it is a room filled with nuclear bombs. I wish they gave you the option of taking them. Also I think that they should have given you a light vehicle of some sort, like a motorcycle or something. In ES:IV you can have a horse which made free-roaming a lot faster and more interesting, I think they could have done the same in Fallout 3. Probably my favorite game ever though.

drowbot0181
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 12:57 pm

I couldn't bring myself to be that evil in my first run through of the game, so I just disarmed it. The next time I play I'm going to be an unholy terror, though. :twisted:

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 1:21 pm

Same here, I still did it just in another save game lol its worth it, best fireworks display ever. Plus when you go to the Megaton ruins you find Moira there turned into a Ghoul, and still obliviously cheerful as ever. I think talking to her here provided me with my best laugh in this game, when she says 'Who would have thought a town built around a bomb could be so dangerous?'

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 5:20 pm

Ok, after some reflection and a lot of play, I quite like Fallout 3. The graphics are very nice, although the locations do get a little repetitive. VATS is cute, although again I got to a point where I didn't want to see every single Super Mutant's head explode in slow-motion. I like the variety of clothing and weaponry, although it would have been nice to see the "special" weapons a bit more visibly distinct from their commonplace counterparts. I very much like the way that you can play effectively even when not wearing armour, so you can choose whichever "look" suits you and not worry about being diced by the first baddie to come along. The game becomes a little easy once you hit 20, although there are still some opponents which can provide a challenge.
My main gripe is the lack of things to do; there seem to be very many fewer quests than Oblivion had. I don't much like Oblivion, and Fallout 3 is certainly a big improvement, but there seem to be much less "directed" things to do, which is a shame.

I'm systematically hunting through every single location on the map at the moment, and writing down what's in every place. I'm sad like that. :oops:

The year is still young.