Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do think the patriot act is constitutional?
Yes 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
No 91%  91%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 32

Gamer1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Dec 2007, 7:39 am

The patriot act is unconstitutional. Does anyone agree? I know its for good but it breaks the amendment of not being searched without a warant.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 7:52 am

Gamer1 wrote:
The patriot act is unconstitutional. Does anyone agree? I know its for good but it breaks the amendment of not being searched without a warant.

Why is the Patriot act for good?, America is now under more governmnet repression than the Nazis did to Germany.

Did you know that Bush wrote into the Patriot Act that if there is another 911, he will declear Marshall Law and there will be no more elections?,
ie, America will become a Fascist dictatorship with Bush as the Dictator?

Expect another 911 before next November, especially if Ron Paul looks like getting in and they havnt managed to assasinate him first.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 7:57 am

It's the worst thing to have happened. Almost. The precedents set out in that act are terrifying.

For example, if someone you know commits an 'act of terrorism' (which these days can be as simple as an animal rights protest) and you didn't tell the authorities they were even thinking about it, you could be in trouble? Technically speaking, it expects people to read each other's minds and sets friend against friend.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 8:51 am

I despise the Patriot Act with a vengeance, but it is probably considered a walk in the park compared to Saudi Arabia's domestic policies.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 11:40 pm

Your question reminds me of this article (not sure if it's true or not):

Quote:
Bush on the Constitution: ‘It’s just a goddamned piece of paper’
By By DOUG THOMPSON
Dec 5, 2005, 07:53

Republican Congressional leaders filed into the Oval Office to meet with President George W. Bush and talk about renewing the controversial USA Patriot Act...

GOP leaders told Bush that his hardcore push to renew the more onerous provisions of the act could further alienate conservatives still mad at the President from his botched attempt to nominate White House Counsel Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court.

“I don’t give a goddamn,” Bush retorted. “I’m the President and the Commander-in-Chief. Do it my way.”

“Mr. President,” one aide in the meeting said. “There is a valid case that the provisions in this law undermine the Constitution.”

“Stop throwing the Constitution in my face,” Bush screamed back. “It’s just a goddamned piece of paper!”

From http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/p ... 7779.shtml

I don't think Bush said that stuff about the Constitution but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what he thinks about it.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 12:14 am

Nambo wrote:
Gamer1 wrote:

Why is the Patriot act for good?, America is now under more governmnet repression than the Nazis did to Germany.

Did you know that Bush wrote into the Patriot Act that if there is another 911, he will declear Marshall Law and there will be no more elections?,

Expect another 911 before next November, especially if Ron Paul looks like getting in and they havnt managed to assasinate him first.

I think he'll pass this power onto the next president, who will likely be Hillary Clinton. This NWO movement is bigger than one person, and it goes much higher than our government.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 12:14 am

I am not so concerned with whether or not the law is constitutional, the government as been using the constitution as a butt rag at least since the Cold War and at times before that even. I just consider it the wrong law without regard for constitutionality. Now, I guess I would like Supreme Court justices who would consider it unconstitutional, but I am not the judge of constitutionality.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 12:15 am

I believe theyr expecting their plan to fill out by 2012 or 2013.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 5:15 pm

2012 perhaps... it's often spoken of as 'the end of the world' due to the Mayan calendar ending then, but it's mis-represented. The reason it ends then is that they speak of a shift in global consciousness and awareness so that we will no longer need it, not because the world ends at all. Don't believe the propaganda; the one thing they say is that we all need to put out good thoughts of a positive outcome for it and that's exactly what we need to do. This is our chance to NOT let them win - let's make sure it goes well and this shift is so much for the better than ever thought possible.

I don't know how much of it I believe, but if it is true then we need to keep positive and think of it as the great thing the Mayans told us.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 6:23 pm

Quote:

I think we'll be seeing alot of these signs in the future. This one is in Orlando. Lots of dictators like to put up big pictures of themselves everywhere to remind the people who's in charge.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/no ... leader.htm

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 6:54 pm

zendell wrote:
Quote:

I think we'll be seeing alot of these signs in the future. This one is in Orlando. Lots of dictators like to put up big pictures of themselves everywhere to remind the people who's in charge.

I would actually go and buy some spraypaint just to 'add' to that smug smile if I saw that, hahaha. Not that I advocate vandalism or anything but... well... some things are just so tempting!

I'm amazed nobody else has already?

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 7:09 pm

Regardless of your stance on it, I think there's little doubt that it's not constitutional.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 8:14 pm

The legality of the Patriot Act can't really be debated. It violates amendments 1, 4, and 5 just off the top of my head. It being "good" or not is also outside debate; something that allows law enforcement to infiltrate peaceful opposition groups and permits the establishment of marshal law whenever our fuhrer thinks there's an emergency is something you would expect from Soviet Russia, but not from the poster child of Enlightenment political thought.
So the question remaining: what is to be done about it? Elect someone else? Ah, but we don't really have voting in this country, and even if we did, all our options are equally miserable (Hillary vs. Romney isn't much of a choice). Violent revolt is obviously impractical and of dubious moral virtue. You could try fleeing to Canada, but when/if North American integration (our Anschluss) comes, that won't be much help. So what can be done?

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 12:01 am

Heh, nothing really can be done as for saving the world, all you can really do is try to spread enlightenment to what is happening to those who would listen, and try to develop your conscience as much as possible.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 12:02 am

This has been planned out for centuries, we can't stop something so powerful. Man will not stop this evil.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 11:20 am

LeKiwi wrote:
zendell wrote:
Quote:

I would actually go and buy some spraypaint just to 'add' to that smug smile if I saw that, hahaha. Not that I advocate vandalism or anything but... well... some things are just so tempting!

I'm amazed nobody else has already?

I would more likely add its companion posters beside it rather than vandalize the thing.

You have to worry any time someone wants to be called "fuhrer," "il duce," "leader," etc.