If Wallmart paid it's employees a living wage...

Page 4 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 3:10 pm

ruveyn wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

He's already made clear here previously that he doesn't believe in ethics beyond what serves him and him alone.

Not so. One cannot be completely selfish and prosper in a society. I support society to the extent that it makes my liberty (and that of my family) possible. That is why I am not an anarchist.

Hillel said:

If I am not for myself, then who is for me.
If I am -only- for myself then what am I
If not now, then when.

Perke Avot Chap I saying 15

Hillel teaches that we must balance our selfish interests with our existence in the social order.

I believe in acting now.

Even when you talk about your giving blood, you frame it in a selfish context.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 3:18 pm

delete

Last edited by ruveyn on 25 Apr 2011, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 3:19 pm

skafather84 wrote:

Even when you talk about your giving blood, you frame it in a selfish context.

You are f*cking bloody right I do. Everything I do is reckoned with my interests and that of my family in mind. But that does not stop me from doing sociable things that I find beneficial to my interests.

May the G-D of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob melt me into a pool of smoking grease if I ever do something for purely altruistic reasons.

ruveyn

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 3:34 pm

psychohist wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
walmarts business model is based on tax-holidays, Eminent domain, and using civic monies to build its giant boxes.
nothing a free-market proponent should defend.

I'm also interested in any actual documented cases with respect to eminent domain. I think the idea of using public takings for private development is repugnant, but in a web search, I can't find any cases of a Walmart being built on such land, while I do find one case of a city trying to take land away from Walmart.

I agree that pressuring people into making their purchases on particular days through tax holidays is stupid, but I don't see that as a subsidy to Walmart specifically as tax holidays affect all businesses.

a tax holiday means walmart does not have to pay sales taxes to a community for a set amount of time. this disadvantages the local business and forces them to burden improvement walmart demands.
oh sorry here is a link to a kanasas star artical that involves walmart and eminent domain
http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=9361/

it was republished by the cato institute.

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

Last edited by JakobVirgil on 25 Apr 2011, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 3:35 pm

ruveyn wrote:
f*cking bloody

I know it's pedantic (so ignore me here) but, that just struck me as being backwards. I'm so used to "bloody f*****g" so that, linguistically, it builds up in intensifiers. Only time I'm used to seeing it the other way would be in "f*****g bloody hell" but that's because "bloody hell" is one phrase and "f*****g" is the intensifier.

/maybe I should consider going back to school for linguistics?

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 4:36 pm

Regardless of the extent of their corporate welfare and tax breaks, they deserve none of those. They have connections to suppliers that give em good deals, and that's enough for em. Capitalizing gains and socializing losses is BS.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 5:07 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
Regardless of the extent of their corporate welfare and tax breaks, they deserve none of those. They have connections to suppliers that give em good deals, and that's enough for em. Capitalizing gains and socializing losses is BS.

Write your congressman and city council person then. The breaks Wal-Mart has been getting are from the government.

ruveyn

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 5:19 pm

ruveyn wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:

Write your congressman and city council person then. The breaks Wal-Mart has been getting are from the government.

ruveyn

more the city council and the county than the congressman.
also one could relentlously mention it.

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 5:26 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:

ruveyn

more the city council and the county than the congressman.
also one could relentlously mention it.

or do as I do. I don't do business with Wal-Mart.

Since I do not do business with them, nothing they do bothers me.

ruveyn