Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 6:57 pm

Flagg wrote:
Art is created both consciously and unconsciously.

That is a very unclear answer and it contradicts the definition of art that most would consider to be most applicable to this conversation. More specific claims are needed so that a better understanding can be obtained, and possibly judgment on the veracity of earlier claims.

art1 (art)n.
2. The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium. The study of these activities. The product of these activities; human works of beauty considered as a group.

---------------------------------------------------------
Excerpted from American Heritage Talking Dictionary
Copyright © 1997 The Learning Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 12:12 am

There is no need for eggheads as long as food & shelter can be produced to sustain life.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 1:13 am

Johnnie wrote:
There is no need for eggheads as long as food & shelter can be produced to sustain life.

There is a need if man wants to live above the level of a pig. Unless you think that technology, philosophy, and other great triumphs of civilization would exist without some form of egghead to develop them.

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2007, 4:24 am

you call this civilization :lol: how civil are people today :?:

McJeff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2007, 5:27 am

Johnnie wrote:

Eggheads create better shelters and invent better, more efficient ways to produce food.

I share your disdain for the Churchil-like college types, intellectuals who live in a world that has nothing to do with anything in reality, but there's lots of so-called eggheads who've improved the quality of living and of humanity in general.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2007, 10:18 pm

Johnnie wrote:

Welcome to the trashpit of civilization: America!

The ONLY first world nation that doesn't have free health care for all.

Highest crime rate in the first world.

Stupidest citizens in the first world.

Highest poverty in the first world.

The ONLY nation in the first world that executes minors.

Worst human rights record in general in the first world.

You cannot use America as a yardstick for civilization because this place is a Hell hole. When I turn 18 I'm applying for refugee status in Norway - currently the first world nation with highest standard of living and some of the best civil rights.

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2007, 12:01 pm

Flagg wrote:
Johnnie wrote:

You cannot use America as a yardstick for civilization because this place is a Hell hole. When I turn 18 I'm applying for refugee status in Norway - currently the first world nation with highest standard of living and some of the best civil rights.

America is proof the educated morons are idiots.

Many of the career academic types are the biggest obstical to changing things. They want to be paid to study things to death and waste more money on studies than the sollution would cost, a 12 year old can figure out the sollution to lots of things that get studied to death.

Health care is simple, a nation sales tax to cover the cost and have the IRS handle the claims. After sombody pays so many dollars out of pocket a year, they start claiming out of pocket expenses against the taxes they owe and any large bills are sent straight to the government to be paid.Just make some sort of sensable yearly deducatable based on income.

The educated morons have been looking into it for decades and done nothing yet.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2007, 5:30 pm

Johnnie wrote:
Flagg wrote:
Johnnie wrote:

America is proof the educated morons are idiots.

Many of the career academic types are the biggest obstical to changing things. They want to be paid to study things to death and waste more money on studies than the sollution would cost, a 12 year old can figure out the sollution to lots of things that get studied to death.

Health care is simple, a nation sales tax to cover the cost and have the IRS handle the claims. After sombody pays so many dollars out of pocket a year, they start claiming out of pocket expenses against the taxes they owe and any large bills are sent straight to the government to be paid.Just make some sort of sensable yearly deducatable based on income.

The educated morons have been looking into it for decades and done nothing yet.

Educated Morons? Well if all leave you'll die from things like: Tuberculous! Never heard of it? That because someone called a doctor gave you a vaccine Know what that is? Unsolved Murders! Without trained detectives and forensics labs nobody would get caught! Chlorella! Never heard of it? It's diarrhea on steroids! Kills people by making them bleed to death! Guess how it's stopped! SANATION! Yet another division of the government requiring extensive backgrounds in science and virology! (Who else can run a massive sanitation plant with thousands of computers and things that need massive upkeep?) Like your computer? It was designed by engineers!

What your talking about is right wing thinking. That's the enemy. Intelluctuals run most nations in the EU. (Almost every national leader there has a Masters at least and some hold Doctorates) American Senators on the other hand rarely have any background in science or politics.

Europe is completely run by your "educated morons" and is currently the best region of the world to live in. America is run by deluded old men who pay for their jobs, when they should be elected on merits. The reason that free health system you just described isn't used is because it would knock the wind out of the medical industry in America, one of the powerful controlling influences.

If you don't like intellectuals I'll gladly pay to send you to Dafur or North Korea. The intelligent are considered evil in these lands.

Oh yeah, You once again prove the need for educationed morons through your lack of proper spelling.

McJeff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2007, 9:42 pm

Europe is run by "educated" imbeciles who are protected from their own stupidity by the military and economic might of the United States. The USA is far, far better than anything in Europe, and that's why European royalty send their kids to the USA for college.

The only bad thing about America is the fact that the ret*d left are taught in their so called higher education that hating America is essential to intellectualism.

High crime? The left's fault, what with them and their minority asskissing ways, making racial profiling illegal, allowing immigration from central america.

Executes minors? None that don't deserve it. Far more minors that SHOULD be executed get off due to age.

Low education? Maybe, again, thanks to your loose immigration policies and new policies that make teachers have to teach people who have no right to be in the country in their own language. And I'm not denying that the No Child Left Behind act is idiotic, but in most of your European Utopias, they aren't guaranteed an education - and if they get one they're guaranteed they won't be sterilized for "mental illnesses" that turn out to be simple myopia.

Highest poverty? It's all relative - Americans quote unquote below the poverty line have air conditioning, electricity, plumbing, transportation, videogames, basketball tournaments, government grants to pay for their education (not that they ever take the chance, they'd rather have expensive sneakers than a good job). Beats the hell out of Bumfuck Europe where they live in one room unairconditioned apartments with no running water, just a bucket to s**t in.

You are, though, right about the fact that America is stupid and getting stupider. Firstly, the leftist leaders want to dumb down the population to keep them poor, too stupid to work, and on the government tit, slowly stifling the middle class with taxes to pay for all that.

Fortunately, there's this. The intellectuals aren't going anywhere because the real ones KNOW BETTER. They know that the USA is better than everyone else. Its your college professor types that end up fleeing... your doctors and inventors stay right here where they can benefit from their knowledge.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2007, 10:11 pm

McJeff wrote:
Europe is run by "educated" imbeciles who are protected from their own stupidity by the military and economic might of the United States. The USA is far, far better than anything in Europe, and that's why European royalty send their kids to the USA for college. s on that subject.

Well, you are right that the US has more of the best colleges in the world than any other nation and dominates most international ranking
Quote:
The only bad thing about America is the fact that the ret*d left are taught in their so called higher education that hating America is essential to intellectualism.

Hatred of America is not essential to intellect and that much is true as well, some of the smartest minds I have read have praised certain American characteristics. I would argue though, that higher education isn't a bad thing though and that plenty of intelligent right wingers pass their way through our education system. There is possibly a question on whether or not right wing professors are being discriminated against, which is something brought up by US news in their description of the job of professor.
Quote:
High crime? The left's fault, what with them and their minority asskissing ways, making racial profiling illegal, allowing immigration from central america.

High crime is partially the left's fault for ill-planned creation of the projects back in earlier times in our nation. The projects then ended up becoming dens of crime that might not have been so horrible if a different method was used to fund housing for the poor then sticking them all together. I think that a greater fault of the left than protecting minorities is rather not stressing integration, non-integrated minorities will show a tendency to sink to the bottom of society and no governmental intervention will really help them rightfully get to the top either. This can be seen with current Mexican immigrants and educational attainment, the first generation does poorly, the second does better, but it is often noted that the third then goes back to being as bad as the first. This is obviously not a good trend and means a greater chance of criminality because of this.
Quote:
Executes minors? None that don't deserve it. Far more minors that SHOULD be executed get off due to age.

Executing minors also isn't objectively wrong but many do not like it. There are probably some that don't deserve it, but that goes back to one's opinions on the death penalty, a subject that is motivated more by subjective emotions than objective anything.
Quote:
Highest poverty? It's all relative - Americans quote unquote below the poverty line have air conditioning, electricity, plumbing, transportation, videogames, basketball tournaments, government grants to pay for their education (not that they ever take the chance, they'd rather have expensive sneakers than a good job). Beats the hell out of Bumfuck Europe where they live in one room unairconditioned apartments with no running water, just a bucket to s**t in.

America has the highest absolute poverty and relative poverty, at least I think that they do if I remember right. This is partially because of the nature of the modern labor market and our lack of intervention in certain affairs. Labor markets are becoming more two-tiered due to the split between skilled and unskilled which was touched earlier I think. The left's ideas for dealing with this can sometimes be wrongheaded in my opinion. Really, what needs to be addressed is failures in American schooling above all else, and I think that vocational classes should be added and would stress more market based solutions over command and control methods that the left traditionally favors. I do think that we have a healthier labor market than most European countries though, which is shown by our lower unemployment rates on average and the fact that it is easier in most cases to find a job. As well, we do have good systems for helping people such as loans. It should be stressed that Americans care a lot less about poverty and income inequality though, rather relying on the idea of making your own way.
Quote:
You are, though, right about the fact that America is stupid and getting stupider. Firstly, the leftist leaders want to dumb down the population to keep them poor, too stupid to work, and on the government tit, slowly stifling the middle class with taxes to pay for all that.

America is getting stupider and stupider, and this is due to a weak school system and a lack of incentive to beat Soviets. The American left and the American right are stupid by any measure though as both have fuckheadedness. Really, I'd say that no leader wants to keep the population poor as it threatens their power in the long run. The big question is on how to get them smarter. The left wants to invest more in school, the right wants more market based reforms, such as the voucher system. Both have their pluses and minuses. We need competition based reform though in my opinion as inter-school competition no matter the system we choose could encourage school performance and more top-performing programs.
Quote:
Fortunately, there's this. The intellectuals aren't going anywhere because the real ones KNOW BETTER. They know that the USA is better than everyone else. Its your college professor types that end up fleeing... your doctors and inventors stay right here where they can benefit from their knowledge.

The US is actually the better market for people with skill and this can be noted with the high rewards for those who achieve heavily. The US is noted for stealing doctors and other intellects from other countries. We do need immigration reform to continue doing so as many companies and immigrants can be served by coming to the US. We are not likely to suffer an intellectual collapse though, and our top minds can compete with top minds in most other countries and probably beat them, we just have a bigger bottom. I will say that we should probably invest more into research and try other methods to encourage investment for the future.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 3:34 am

I felt as if a lot of my "university studies" courses were liberal recruitment camps. I just told the professors what they wanted to hear and when I got my 'A' I threw MY political view in their faces.

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 6:22 pm

McJeff wrote:
Europe is run by "educated" imbeciles who are protected from their own stupidity by the military and economic might of the United States. The USA is far, far better than anything in Europe, and that's why European royalty send their kids to the USA for college.

Low education? Maybe, again, thanks to your loose immigration policies and new policies that make teachers have to teach people who have no right to be in the country in their own language. And I'm not denying that the No Child Left Behind act is idiotic, but in most of your European Utopias, they aren't guaranteed an education - and if they get one they're guaranteed they won't be sterilized for "mental illnesses" that turn out to be simple myopia.

you get it 8)

trained detectives. OJ. :lol: Ramsey girl in CO. :cry:
One police force refused to hire a guy because he scored too high on the test.

people with average intelligance can be educated beyond there intelligance and people with photographic memories can excell in the acidemic world,don't mean they can make jack chit out of the info sloshing around their brain cells and come to logical rational conclusions.

McJeff is right about poverty,if everyone was given a 1099 for the value of the government benfits they receive, their income would look at lot better.

Using the same logic used to arrive at the conclusion people are living in poverty, Bill Gates kids would be living in poverty baseed on their personal income, add in what their daddy provides for them and they become filthy rich.

Uncle Sam is providing for most people counted as living in poverty. Uncle Sam puts a roof over their heads and food in their bellies,pays for poor peoples college educations and provides transportation for them. people might get a w-2 for $10,000 but all the discounts and freebee's they receive where counted they have a standard of living that would take over say $50,000 if they paid the actual cost for everything they receive.

Their paychecks are nothing more than an allowance and the rest of their support comes from Uncle Sam. Many of them are just too damn stupid to manage their own affairs so the government has stepped in to do it.

Educated liberals run my town in CT and the state. They are blasted morons and do a wrose job than a bunch of backwards hicks in Bugtussle Heehawville USA.

No child left behind can only be acheived by letting no child get ahead of the stupidest moron in the class. Teaching school is no mind work after the first year or two and they are trained in most of it by other people. It's not like any off them have to figure it out from scratch, all they are doing is copying what other people are doing and spend years getting trained to do the flunky job.Many of them truely believe they have difficult jobs, it's only difficult for idiots.

Anyone who is in awe of teachers doing a simple minded job is obviously a moron of limited capabilities themselves.

the average person is an idiot and half of them are below average, like whippydoo if somebody has one up on the average idiot and managed to advance further in the education system than the average idiot.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 6:31 pm

Your like AIDS, the right refuses to deal with you even though you drain from society.

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 7:02 pm

Flagg wrote:
Your like AIDS, the right refuses to deal with you even though you drain from society.

is there some actual meaning to your sentance ? I'm not a member of the psychic friends network, if you got some point to make or point to argue, try again at it.

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 7:24 pm

"Labor markets are becoming more two-tiered due to the split between skilled and unskilled which was touched earlier I think. The left's ideas for dealing with this can sometimes be wrongheaded in my opinion. Really, what needs to be addressed is failures in American schooling above all else, and I think that vocational classes should be added "

==============================

Thanks to the moron Ted Kennedy and the rest of the liberal scum in congress gutting the enforcement provisions of the mid 1980's immigration reform bill. The people at the bottom now compete for wages against illegal immigrants from mexico and other countries.

How much schooling does it take to work in a warehouse or a store or drive a truck ? Even if everyone holds a college degree there will still be jobs that require a 6th grade education or less.

It's truely amazing how simple minded liberals are and how easy they are to brainwash.
Somebody is going to be washing dishes and the level of education to do it doesn't count when it comes to what somebody might be able to comand in the labor force, the only thing that is going to count is the availablity of people willing to do the job, it's supply & demand,not level of education that dictates wages in the lower levels of the labor force.

Years ago in cape cod Mass. employers where offering kids more than double minimum wage and free housing to work the summer tourist season.The supply of people looking for that type of work was short so they upped the wages to attract people to the jobs.

The basic workings of capitolisim is beyond the comprehendsion of liberals, can't even be explained to the morons.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2007, 2:34 pm

Of course it is supply and demand, and of course there will be the ditch jobs, however, the jobs that earn the most are going to be ones requiring education. The rise in competition for low wage jobs from abroad(outsourcing) and the increasing ability to replace some of them with technology is driving the value of these wages down. Better education will allow people to move up to the skilled market rather than the unskilled, as the skilled labor market is crying out for more workers while the unskilled market is by some accounts experiencing a decline in wages.

I am not a liberal though, I do not think that the government is the solution to all of our problems, however, where the government has already intervened(education) is not working for whatever reason and we need to make it work in order to promote social mobility so that those who are capable of improving their lot are able to do so and so that we can use their efforts to fuel our economy.

Interesting note there on Massachusetts there, I really cannot do too much to analyze that though, perhaps there is a tight labor market, perhaps notice did not get out well, or perhaps the cost of changing one's summer plans/changing jobs for just that period seemed too high.

I know how capitalism works to a great extent though, I don't give some explanation of "they are taking our jobs and trading unfairly" or that "ebil corporations are attacking the masses", I give a cogent reply based upon an understanding of what is causing the rise of inequality, which has risen by most accounts, and what we should do in order to fix it instead of going for either fallacious reasons.