Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

AspieAshley
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Apr 2012, 10:11 pm

As I sit here and write this, millions of children and teenagers are being oppressed every day through compulsory schooling (which is much more about controlling them than it is of educational value), censorship in school, having no say in American politics, and the fact that parents are allowed to do anything to them regardless of the level of distress it causes them.

April 16 is National Youth Rights Day. Supporters of expanding civil rights for young people (such as voting, drinking, student rights, and free speech in the schools) are being asked to change their social media avatars or profiles from April 16-22 in support of lowering the voting age. I am changing my signature in support of such.

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 10:46 pm

AspieAshley wrote:
(which is much more about controlling them than it is of educational value

That is so true! I wish I had heard of this when I was a "youth". Teens need to have more of a say in schools. I actually had teachers tell me,"in this room, I am the dictator, civil rights don't apply". :x

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 10:49 pm

So instead of school, what should young people do? What age is reasonable for voting and drinking? Personally the idea of my 8th grade classmates voting at that time is profoundly disturbing

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 10:54 pm

Vigilans wrote:
So instead of school, what should young people do? What age is reasonable for voting and drinking? Personally the idea of my 8th grade classmates voting at that time is profoundly disturbing

Well seeing as how the biggest determinent of who you vote for is your parents it shouldn't be to scary. I always thought it was interesting when we did the mock elections a week or day in advance. They always came up the same as the general election

Alcohol and pot I think should be 18.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 11:19 pm

Having to appeal to a 12-17 year old audience is going to result in politics being even more confounded and full of BS. Beiberization of the White House